How to tell if I'm really seeing 4k? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How to tell if I'm really seeing 4k?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. I recently purchased a 4k set (Vizio M50-E1). I couldn't hang it in the family room initially (needed a drill bit extension to reach the retaining bolts on the mount to remove the current set) so I had it in the bedroom for a while. I upgraded my Netflix account to the 4k option and fired up a few 4k shows. Looked good, but not really all that different from HD. Upstairs I had to use wifi which measured just under the recommended 25G.

Now it's finally hanging in the family room, wired directly into the router. But 4k shows on Netflix don't look all that different from HD.

Is there a way to tell for sure what in watching is 4k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 02:07 PM
Veteran

I could not tell the difference either so I downgraded Netflix from 4K to HD.
On my tv when I press info button it will show download bitrae in the top left corner.

Last edited by bev fan; 2018-01-21 at 04:29 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 02:56 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I don't know about Netflix, but on YouTube you can view a video (choose one that's 4K) click the down arrow and go to "more options" on the left side of the screen, then scroll to "stats for nerds" on the right side and you'll see the initial resolution, what you're currently receiving (depending on your connection) and the resolution of the display, download bitrate, buffering, etc.

I also don't see a huge difference between a good 1080P signal upconverted by my 4K TV and a 4K video.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 03:29 PM
Veteran

With Netflix, make sure the picture quality option under the account is set to highest. That must be done for each user if more than one is set up. Don't know how to tell if 4k content is being displayed though. The TV should indicate what resolution it is receiving from external devices but probably not the resolution of the source material. Checking network stats under Task Manager will indicate the network traffic. Netflix 4K will be about 4-5Mbps.

Kodi is very good about displaying stream statistics such as resolution and audio type. It has a YouTube plugin so that should work. Don't know of a way to play Netflix with Kodi though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The Vizio TVs have a Chromecast built in. So I would have to cast YouTube from my phone. Would the Stats for Nerds still apply?

As for the Netflix option, I've got 4 kids each with their devices. The 4k option also gives me 4 simultaneous devices. I'm keeping it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 04:51 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
The Vizio TVs have a Chromecast built in. So I would have to cast YouTube from my phone. Would the Stats for Nerds still apply?
I don't know. I use my TV's YouTube App.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 04:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:

As for the Netflix option, I've got 4 kids each with their devices. The 4k option also gives me 4 simultaneous devices. I'm keeping it.
Sure if you need it then keep it. I have other streaming services like Prime Video and Crave tv so keeping 4K Netflix is something I do not need especially that I do not notice any difference.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Just tried YouTube. Some pretty impressive videos, there. I especially like some of the 4k done videos.

But I didn't see anything after taking the down arrow about more options. Couldn't find the stats anywhere.

But hitting the info button on the tv remote when the YouTube video was playing showed 2160p in a tiny box. When I get a chance I'll check if I get the same when playing Netflix.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 06:51 PM

Quote:
But I didn't see anything after taking the down arrow about more options. Couldn't find the stats anywhere.
For me, the "more options" comes up on the same screen as where you can see "play", Pause, Next Video, etc. That's also where I can select CC, although almost nothing on YouTube has CC.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Playing Stranger Things and info (initially showed 480p). I stopped playback, went to search UHD, picked Stranger Things from there and started playback again. Info shows 1080p.

I have the highest playback seeing set for the profile.

Wait. Checked again and now it says 2160p. I guess it just takes a little time to get going.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.