2018 Panasonic OLED TVS - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-01-07, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

2018 Panasonic OLED TVS

Things are once again looking up for Panasonic this year. https://youtu.be/SsCX9uy7wwA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-01-07, 05:26 PM
Veteran

Got to wonder how the HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision battle is going to work out and what impact it will have on the consumer TV market. Spending big bucks on a high end TV that might be obsolete in 2 years is not my idea of a good time. Some TV makers, like Panasonic, are supporting HDR10+, others are supporting Dolby Vision and a few are supporting both. The major studios are producing content the same way with support for just one format or both. If I were buying an HDR TV, I'd be looking for a set that supports both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.

I wouldn't put my money on Panasonic. They backed out of developing OLED with Sony not long ago and have now partnered with Samsung for HDR10+ but are using LG OLED panels. By the looks of it, Panasonic will not be well differentiated from Samsung which controls a major portion of the TV market.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-01-08, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

After seeing Samsung’s impressive sets coming out. For the first time ever I’d potentially consider buying one. If I were a betting man I’d say Panasonic launches OLEDs with both HDR10+ & Dolby Vision along with HDMI 2.1 and HFR next year.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-01-08, 11:08 AM

Big fan of Panasonic TV's since the early 90's. Never had one die - just need to upgrade every 10 years for the latest standards.

Once the ATSC 3.0 tuners are finalized/incorporated I'm upgrading to a new Panasonic as I'm an OTA fan. My Viera Plasma is still working great after 12 years! My 17 year old projection model just got retired - had no issues, but never use it anymore.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-01-08, 08:21 PM
Veteran

I will be waiting for several things before jumping into OLED. First and foremost is a price drop of at least 50%. LG is the only company making OLED panels so prices are high. There needs to be some competition either from competing OLED panel makers or a competing technology that delivers the same picture quality.

Any set needs to support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision or whichever technology is adopted by 100% of the studios.

Last but not least, OLED technology needs to be proven to be durable and reliable in the marketplace. If the panels don't last, they won't be worth buying.

I have no reason not to like Panasonic. They make some great products. I've just got to wonder how much shakeup remains in a TV market dominated by Samsung, LG, Sony and emerging lower cost OEMs like TCL. It's a tough market with low margins unless you are someone like LG that benefits due to market dominance in new technologies such as OLED. Some large companies have bowed out of making their own TVs because it's cheaper to just rebrand OEM products. They may have a few flagship products to generate publicity and sell rebranded OEM stuff at the lower end, in which case it's usually cheaper for consumers to buy directly from the OEM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-02-12, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

https://youtu.be/GvTb_yh8QXI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 01:46 PM
Veteran

Wow...that Panasonic looks awesome...I need to win a lottery or something lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-02-13, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The FZ950 is the first OLED to hit 1000 Nits of peak brightness so far. I’m probably going to get the 65” when available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.