Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

LG C7 OLED vs Sony X900E W/Local Dimming

Tags
led oled sony
10K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Joxer 
#1 ·
Alright guys so I've been saving my pennies and my top 2 sets are now within my budget. I can either go with the LG C7 55 inch OLED for $2,499 or get the 55' Sony X900E with local Dimming for $1,999.

I know some people will get upset that I even brought this up but here are my concerns. I am actually considering the X900E over the OLED because it can get brighter, it has Sony's 4K X1 Processor which is the pinnacle of 4K up-scaling in my opinion and while the blacks aren't true blacks, i don't think I'll be able to tell the difference in a normal environment. My concerns with the OLED are that I am seeing a lot of reviews where people are experiencing Array Banding which I absolutely HATE and I have returned a few sets over. That and the last 4K LG I had exhibited awful screen tearing during fast motion scenes when motion interpolation was enabled. I have 20/20 vision and I notice literally everything. It also was the worst 4K upscaler out of all my previous sets, minus the Vizio i owned for a small time. (These most likely wont be issues on the OLED, but I thought I would bring it up anyway)

I am hoping for some thoughts on this matter because I will gladly get something with great black levels and a perfect uniform picture and amazing 4K upscaling over something with Perfect blacks and array banding with 'okay' 4K upscaling. I am a gamer so the response times are better on the OLED which intrigues me. But Hopefully I can get some thoughts on the matter.

See less See more
#2 ·
OLED is supposed to be better than LCD but I've got to wonder why more TV makers are not using it. Sony has a 55" OLED but, even on sale, it's a big price jump over both the sets mentioned. My gut feeling is that OLED probably will be improved over the next few years and that prices will drop considerably. LCD has been around long enough that it is quite mature. In the end, it's what you can live with that determines the best choice.

Personally, I have a Vizio set that I am extremely happy with. The picture isn't perfect but there isn't anything that stands out in normal viewing. Back in the bad old CRT days when my eyes were better, almost every set had serious issues that bothered me. Even the worst of today's LCD flat panels are a vast improvement over CRTs.

#3 ·
I purchased the LG OLED55C7 and although I was skeptical at first...this TV is the best I have ever owned...and that includes my Pioneer KURO.

This is like looking through a window.

I know they say these sets do not get that bright...but with all the beautiful true blacks and the intense colors you will never notice...even hockey is perfect.

The only set we looked at that was close...was the Sony A1...but it's double the price.

I can't comment on the upscaling because I'm not sure if it's the TV or Receiver (Yamaha RX-A2060) that's doing the work...but it's also perfect.

#4 ·
Funny enough I was looking at these two TV's this past week too as well as the Sony A1 OLED (the 55" is $1k more than the LG OLED at the moment). Had a demo of the A1 connected to a Google Home, it was pretty fast with Google Play.
Between the Sony X900E and the LG, I would go with the LG. However, I am waiting to see what happens Black Friday, I reckon the 55" LG OLED may go to around $2k and the Sony A1 to $2.6k ish which would make it compelling to me.

#6 ·
OLED will probably fall to current LCD prices and replace LCD, just as LCD replaced Plasma. Unfortunately, very low prices also mean low quality. If LCD is any indication, mid priced, good quality OLED sets should drop to about 1/3 to 1/2 current prices. I remember when Sharp was selling LCD sets for $20,000 to $60,000. You could buy a luxury car or a cheap house around here for that money at the time.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I remember back in the Fall of 2005.... 42" Panasonic plasma sets were $8,000. Cheapo Norcent sets were about $5500. I ended up buying a 32" Sony XBR1 LCD tv for $3500.

The young folks today don't realize how good they have it. Imagine... a 55" LG OLED 4K set for $2500....having said that, back in April of 2015 I bought one of the last 50" 1080P Samsung plasma sets at Walmart for $500, so I did get in on the good plasma prices before the tech disappeared...

#8 ·
I am trying to make the same decision. Except 65inch not 55. 900E is $2299 and B7 is listed at $3999. However recent sales in ON (I am in BC) have the B7 down to $2999. So assuming the OLEDs drop to that same price for BF - I am looking at $2299 for the Sony (with the mature LED local dimming) or $2999 for the OLED (some reports of burn-in, still maturing in screens this size).

Last TV I bought was in 2013 (2012 model) LG LED. So don't really want to buy another TV in a few years. Sony seems a safe bet for maturity of the tech and the upscaling. I am also partial to having Android TV. OLED seems bleeding edge and probably need to add some sort of a warranty on top of the price. But the OLED is beautiful. Sony has no Dolby Vision, LG has DV.

#9 ·
I purchased the LG OLED55C7 and although I was skeptical at first...this TV is the best I have ever owned...and that includes my Pioneer KURO.
Even in 2013 when I saw the 1080p LG OLED at the HDTV shootout down in Scarsdale, NY, it had eclipsed the Kuro (they had a KRP-500M at the shootout).

It's stunning, black levels aren't even remotely close.

Panasonic just announced four models of OLED for the Canadian market, 55" and 65" 950C series and 65" and 77" 1000C series. Of course the pricing is prohibitive right now, but that's three large CEs now selling OLEDs in Canada so we will see pricing continue to get better and better.

I have a TC-P60VT60, there is no LED set on the planet that I will consider upgrading to, it's OLED or nothing.

#10 · (Edited)
Seems like Black Friday pricing is up on Best Buy on the LG C7 55 inch OLED @ $1,999 or 65" for $2,999 (55" and 65" also the B series same price too)
The Sony 55" X900E is down to $1,599 but not promoted as a BF deal with that deal ending on the 23rd. Same with the Sony XBR55A1E not promoted as a BF deal with minimal discount.

I'm thinking that LG C7 55" is something I might go for now, I read that it is same panel as the B series but has better insides like Dolby Atmos.

#12 ·
Just wanted to update to say I was able to get the C7 LG OLED during the black friday sales week. Picked it up for $2k minus some negotiated discounts came to $1800 with a 4 year full warranty thrown in.
I calibrated it myself and have been watching a ton of 4k discs over the holiday period. It has an absolutely wonderful picture and the features are really working for me and the family.

#13 ·
Hey Shaw, just picked up a 65" C7 myself after having over 9 years on my LG Plasma 60" which was starting to degrade, especially around image retention. It would happen quickly, and take a long time to fade. That said it was still a very nice movie experience.

After a week I'm still adjusting to the new tv - so many inputs, so many modes on each, all need to be tweaked ;-). Used youtube channels as setup guides/tips. As far as brightness, I've set back the OLED Light on everything back to no more than 60 as it is just so bright. Even 1080 via the NextBox 3.0 is so crazy vibrant that I played with the de-judder etc to limit the soap-opera effect. All this and the 5 inch larger tc has a lower top edge, bottom edge, and is no wider overall then the plasma with the thin edges - the crazy thin screen is amazing as well.

Lots of 4k but just from Amazon Prime and Netflix for video, and my Xbox One X for HDR gaming and super low response times. Really disappointed with the 4k uptake on tv broadcasts vs the HD transition making a 4k Rogers box not really worthwhile except to the most hard core sports fans (all my hockey/football has looked pretty darn good compared to that older plasma already).

I'd been watching OLED since 2014, and hoped in the run up to the Super Bowl we might get even lower than 2999 for the 65" set but decided this was the time to go. I see the big game leadup sales are still at 3300 so I'm ok - The 2018 sets aren't a big enough leap to either wait for or pay more for at this point with the state of my old plasma...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.