Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

UHD TV's

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  pshine 
#1 ·
I'm looking to up grade my HD TV. I've seen these UHD TV's and am wondering which ones are the best on the market?

#2 ·
You can have one from $400 to $25000 but it all depends what you are looking for.

I have a Samsung which is 3 years old and it is as good to me as my $450 FLUID UHD from the Source. My FLUID is not smart so I use it as a computer monitor. 4K gaming on a 55inch screen especially with games like Battlefield 1 and Battlefront, very clear picture.

To me, I would recommend both as being from one extreme to another but still have the most for my money.

#3 · (Edited)
I like Samsung 4K that I bought last year. It has a lot of apps that many other TV sets do not have like Crave tv, Amazon Prime, Movie Network and HBO. I can also watch all Discovery channels on DiscoveryGo that I have subscription in 4K either live or on demand. Plus it has many more apps like PlutoTv that can downloaded.
The picture quality is also excellent and the price was very good.

#5 ·
as mentioned it depends on your budget. Recently got a Samsung 55KS8500 to replace a 8 blinks of death 50ST60 Panasonic plasma.
Loving the Samsung so far. Upscales HD cable (shaw) very well even SD looks decent. Do not have any 4k content yet but did look at the 4k youtube channel. Looks fantastic with that content. Slight regret when i first got it for not going OLED or FALD (full array LED)
but for an edge lit tv it does very well. Blacks and shadow detail are good.

But if i had a spare 8k to drop on a TV would love to get one of the Sony Z models. Was in Bestbuy yesteday watching a demo on one and it had an amazing picture.

#6 ·
There are many things you need to look at when considering 4K TVs. I just went through the process this past couple of weeks.

1. Make sure the TV has HDR and HDMI2.0 at least.
2. An IPS panel is good if you have seating that is "off axis" as an edge-lit LED does have colour and black level "drop off" the further you are from "dead centre" on the TV.
3. Full Array is another thing to consider, although this brings the price up.
4. OLED is definitely something to consider if you have the money - they are still quite pricey, but coming down.

If you're looking at the "normal" sizes (up to say 65") then the prices are "affordable". If you want something in say 75", then the prices start at $2.5k and go to $12k - which is a huge range for the same size TV.

Sony have a 100" for $80,000. Samsung a 110" ;)

Sony 100" class 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart LED TV (XBR100Z9D)

The original list price is probably a good indicator of the quality of the TV. How much "off list" you get is an indicator of the "deal/sale" you are getting. When TVs are new, they sell very close to the list price. When they are "last years model", the price can come down, sometimes to half the original price, but you need to make sure the TV does what you want it to. Sometimes, however, certain unscrupulous stores will inflate "list price" so you need to be careful and do your research.

Here's the FAQ regarding other things you should remember before purchasing (for example headphone jack if you need one):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-...d-have-known-what-features-look-tvs-avrs.html

#7 ·
HDR

You might want to check if the UHD TV supports more than one form of HDR. There is HDR10 (static), Dolby Vision and HLG will be available at some point in the near future. I believe all UHD TVs support HDR10. LG and Vizio support HDR10 and Dolby Vision (top of the line Sony will also support Dolby Vision- DV).

UHD Blu-Ray only requires HDR10 but later this year there will be several movie companies that will also have DV on their Blu-Rays.

Lots of information available out there if you wish to google it.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.