Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Why Would I Not Purchase This LG 70UF7300 TV? (Sharp LC75N8000U Purchased)

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  unibroue 
#1 ·
LG 70UF7300 Television | 70 inch Ultra HD TV | LG Canada

This TV is now discontinued but is on sale for ½ the original price - $2k instead of $4K. Why would one not purchase this TV? What features would be "missing" compared to today's models? It appears to have an IPS panel (wide viewing angle) and local dimming...

I read the following online - is there any truth to this?

LG does use white sub pixel. Making it's real resolution less than real 4k.
Which 70-75" TV would you recommend instead? I am somewhat flexible on price, but I also like good value.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

(I'm doing this research because my 65" Panasonic Plasma got the "7 blinks of death" this evening while I was out of the room and I'm not sure if I'm going to fix it. It won't turn on and just blinks its red LED 7 times - I did some research on the web and it appears to be an SC board or similar issue)

Edit See posts 9, 10, 11 for the end result - 75" Sharp

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm a bit surprised that after 250 views that no one has responded. I researched a little more and this TV seems to be "missing" HDR, but not much else that I could find. It seems to have HEVC, which would have been a deal breaker if it's not there. I couldn't find any specs on the HDMI inputs in regard to HDMI 2.0 or 2.0a, etc. Perhaps that's firmware upgradable? Until now I hadn't done any research on 4K. For the time-being, the TV will be just a monitor that will be fed by my Rogers 9865 PVR (98% of the time) and my OPPO BD player (2%), but that could change.

I'm having my Panny Plasma looked at on Thursday and I'll decide then if I spend some money to fix it. The 1080P Panny is just over 7 years old, but I like the picture and during my optimization travels I didn't really see anything I liked "better".

#4 ·
I'm not saying this is a bad TV but it is based on LED LCD technology. LCD TV prices have dropped dramatically in the past year so 1/2 it's introductory price may be the correct price point rather than a tremendous deal. Newer high end models from LG are mostly OLED and are reported to be significantly better than LCD. I would be looking at a comparable Vizio TV to get a realistic price. If it beats a similar Vizio model, it's probably a good deal. The bottom line for me is always picture quality at the budgeted price. If a particular model (not brand) has the best picture and the basic features needed, that's the TV I purchase.

#5 ·
Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately 70-75" OLEDs are more expensive than I would want to pay.

The cheapest 70" Vizio is about $2k, but a "comparable" is over $2.5k and I'm still a bit concerned about Vizio reliability - most reviews mentioned lots of issues - many more than I found with most other TV brands.

Samsung have the entry level UN70KU6290 for $2.2k at Amazon (shipped) and $2.5k at BB - which may PM?. I suppose it and the Vizios are good for comparison purposes. If the LG in post 1 had HDR, I'd probably have snapped it up instead of even considering fixing my Plasma.

The least expensive 75" is a Sharp LC75N8000U for $3k at Visions and Costco. There are lots of 75" for $5k+.

#6 ·
I primarily offered the Vizio as a price comparison because they generally are the best value. However, after reading the reviews, I highly recommend looking at the Vizio M70-C3. Vizio M series and P series TVs consistently hit the top of reviewers recommended TV lists. Avoid the budget E series.

I was also wary of Vizio at first but was won over by their 43" M series TV. I originally purchased a Samsung but returned it because the picture quality and features were terrible. I replaced that with the Vizio and was blown away by the picture quality and features. The LG 70UF7300, in particular, does not compare well to the Vizio M70-C3.

#8 ·
57, check out the LG 70UH6350. I am considering this unit as well. It seems to be a more current model and many places have it on sale in your price range till the end of the month. Not sure of all the specs but it does support basic HDR10 so I believe the HDMI specs would have to be current.
atek99

#9 ·
Thanks for the tip. I've "upped" my size to 75", so I'm looking at the following:

Sharp LC75N8000U for $3k
Sony XBR75X850D for ~$4k
Samsung UN75JU7100 for ~$4k.

My current preference is the Sony if I can get it for under $4k. Unfortunately, I need to purchase soon since I cannot get my Panasonic fixed. There are no parts available!!! I've tried several Panasonic and independent service outlets.

We're currently watching our 2008 40" Sony LCD sitting on a B&D workmate a bit closer than our Panasonic Plasma so that we're not squinting too much.

#10 ·
Since my wife wants "her" TV back ;) , we went out today and purchased the 75" Sharp listed in the above post (At Visions). I was even able to negotiate down several hundred more $. Delivery is supposed to be tomorrow morning. I should be able to optimize it before the evening...

It appears that the only Sonys of that model were demos, and I wasn't interested, especially at $1500 more. The Samsung was over $2k more than I paid, so no dice on that one.

I really hate the waste associated with the fact that no one was willing to fix my Plasma. I guess that's a sign of the times, but I don't like it.

#11 ·
Here's my feedback on the TV.

1. Sharp TVs have always had very high colour saturation, as well as much too high "sharpness" & "Contrast" settings, with the default settings. For me, Sharps are more difficult to optimize than most other brands. I have optimized quite a few of them during my travels over the years, so I knew what I was getting myself into.

2. After optimizing the TV I'm satisfied with the picture. My wife commented that the people on TV "look like they're in the room". She also stated that the TV is "easier on the eyes" than the Panasonic plasma was - this despite the 75" screen size, which is 10" larger (33% larger area) than the 65" plasma we had.

3. The physical size of the TV is not much larger than the plasma was, due to the thin bezel on the Sharp. We sit 11' from the TV.

4. The black levels are fantastic with the local dimming. They are as black as black can be. When showing a black screen from Rogers channel 950 or one of my (black level) test pattern DVDs, the TV looks like it's off. I could barely believe that this "inexpensive" TV could provide this sort of black level. Blacks on normal programming are just as black, without causing any black crush (with the appropriate brightness setting).

5. The power consumption is significantly lower than the Plasma. The plasma typically showed about 400 W when operating under normal conditions. The Sharp is about 125 W under similar conditions, even though it's 33% larger. Standby power is also 1/4 of the plasma. This will save me at least $50/year, based on 5 hours per day, 300 days at home.

6. So far we've only seen upconverted 1080P (BD) or Rogers HD programming. I haven't tried any 4K material yet. The upconversion seems to be very good. For example when viewing text on a channel like CP24, from 1 foot away, there is no "stairstepping" on oblique lettering (like W), nor any mosquito noise or halos (after appropriately adjusting the sharpness settings on the TV).

7. The "processing" in the TV must be faster than it was in the plasma. When I was FF using my Rogers 9865 on the plasma, some of the speeds (like FF4) were quite "jerky" with a Picture/pause, Picture/pause, rather than smooth FF. I always put this down to the 9865, however, although not perfectly smooth, the new TV is much smoother than the plasma was. It is possible that the latest firmware update for the 9865 had an effect since it happened after my plasma broke, however, I checked our older Sony LCD with another 9865 and the jerky motion is present there too, so I'm guessing that newer TVs are "faster" than the older TVs when it comes to displaying incoming images.

I may have more comments after more viewing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.