Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Looking for best 32-40in TV for upscaling SD

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  smallmj 
#1 ·
I have a bit of a unique situation. On Shaw, limited to Basic Cable due to overloaded infrastructure in an extended care home.
I want to get a new TV for my nephew that will give him best picture using a 'current' state of the art TV as his current 32in Sony is about to give out.
Thinking of another Sony, but thought I'd ask.
Looking for best 'real world' upscaling as I want him to get best picture possible.

#4 ·
My parents picked up a 32 inch RCA TV which was on sale during boxing day/boxing week, they paid about $100 plus taxes and eco fees, which was a very good price, and since they dont have an HD source yet, we are upscaling our SD source and it looks very good

#5 ·
You should be aware that in Canada, RCA TVs are rebranded Curtis TVs - they are very low-end TVs. A relative bought a 32" a few years ago and I set it up for her. When she was looking for a cheap 40" on Black Friday, I suggested "anything but RCA" and she is much happier.

I've heard that there can be a significant difference in various HD TVs when it comes to upscaling SD signals. That was a while ago so I'm not sure if that is still true. Some HD TVs actually looked worse than an SD TV showing the same signal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.