One in four HDTVs shipped in 2011 will be internet enabled - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 07:57 PM

A little late in the year to make such an prediction.You would think they would be publishing the numbers for 2012 about now.I wonder how the sales of 2011 TV,s compare to what was shipped at this time before the black Friday clear out down south and X-mas/boxing day on the way.
Do you think they have actually sold 50% yet.I douht it.Lots of independent TV shops closing out here in the west.Seems like only the Big box stores are surviving but on what.Phones and Appliances?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

They put out predictions every quarter. That way, at the end of the year, they can say how close they were
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 03:07 AM

Don't fully understand the benefits. Does this mean one less wire to run from CPU to TV or does this type of TV offer more?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Does this mean one less wire to run from CPU to TV or does this type of TV offer more?
I assume this means that you don't need a CPU. You can watch youtube or netflix with the internet connected directly to the TV.

I assume it is for people that are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a 60" TV but are not willing to buy a BluRay player (or a PS3 or a PC... "but all my tapes are on Beta, what do I need a BluRay player for?")

Do internet-capable TVs do anything internet-capable BluRay players don't?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 08:10 AM

I just hooked up mine...wired to my router. I have the Panasonic 50s30... And to be honest, other than DLNA and firmware updates, not too useful. This one doesn't have Netflix... Which doesn't really matter, cause I have an Appletv...

CinemaNow is useless.. Doesn't work...Napster? No account... Shoutcast... Meh...got Internet radio off my Rogers cable, or Apple TV.

the only plus for me is DLNA...but haven't tried it, and hoping it'll work with my DroboFS, so I can stream my mpg home movies. If that works, definitely worth hooking it up to the network.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Don't fully understand the benefits
And I think that is where the companies have failed. Other than a few logos or generic slogans they have really down-played this aspect. If you go looking for it you can find all the information. But most commercials about TV focus on the image and not the content.

There are many apps like flickr, facebook, TV guide, weather, games. DLNA and online music and movie streaming are some of the features. Personally I love this concentration. Lots of us wrote about this happening many years ago and now it is. I can imagine new TVs coming out with webcams and a Skype app. Think about sitting in your living room talking to Ma and Pa and not having to squint or max out your laptop speakers.

Note to self: If not already done file patent on above idea.

Edit: Looks like it already exists.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 10:26 AM

I can see this being useful if you come into the game cold - less hardware to buy. In my case, I have a media server (two if you count the PS3) and all are fed to the screen via hdmi. Aside from firmware updates (none of which exist any longer for my tv) there is no reason for my tv to be connected at this point.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-05, 10:46 AM

I have multiple internet media serving devices as well but I can see TVs eventually replacing the separate "STB"s.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-06, 01:06 PM

My TV has internet now and i find it more of a novelty then anything useful. Yes you can surf the web, but its a lot slower then using a computer.
Like mentioned before doing updates and having access to a few apps like netflix is nice to have.
The main feature of an internet TV, is the ability to stream connect from your computer onto your TV. Movies, Photos and Music.
This was my biggest reason to get an smart HDTV.

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-07, 01:01 AM

Quote:
The main feature of an internet TV, is the ability to stream connect from your computer onto your TV
Don't need an smart TV to do this, a simple HDMI cable will do.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-07, 07:12 AM
Veteran

Yes but then you need a long HDMI cable and the ability to control the computer from your couch.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-07, 12:26 PM
EdT

SmartTV is a gimmick just like 120/240hz and 3D HDTVs to make units more expensive so factory ouput revenues are higher. You have to understand how rapidly the price has dropped from $15,000-$20,000 for a 37" LCD HDTV cost in 2004 to now under $400 for a 40" in less than seven years !

OTA CM4228HD CM3410 CM4040
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-07, 01:13 PM

Quote:
SmartTV is a gimmick
That is ridiculous. That is like saying a SmartPhone is a gimmick (which many people did). Most typical people (not you or me) are not interested in running cables, their PC, servers or having to switch inputs or fiddle with an AVR. Plus we are only in year 2 at best so expect the apps to mature and more content become available.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 02:38 AM

That is all fine, but I ran the cables years ago. So for me, no benefits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.