Panasonic Mulls Cuts to TV Panel Production - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Panasonic Mulls Cuts to TV Panel Production

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...958914340.html

Not looking good for plasma technology...

EDIT: Here's another article http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7LK07T20111020

Panasonic 50GT30 | Yamaha HTR-6063 | Energy Take Classic 5.1 | Oppo BDP-93 | Illico - 8642HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 03:25 PM
Veteran

Panel prices have dropped so much it's not surprising that some plants are being slowed or shut down. LCD and plasma based TVs and monitors are 1/10 the price they were a few years ago. Cutting production costs will be the key to surviving in the current panel market.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 03:46 PM

Too bad you can't read the whole article
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 04:22 PM

Can the OP summarize the article? That link is useless unless you subscribe to the site...

I think I found an abbreviated version:

By JURO OSAWA And HIROYUKI KACHI

TOKYO—Panasonic Corp. is considering selling a factory in Japan that makes liquid-crystal-display-panels for televisions, and scaling down plasma television panel output at another Japanese plant, according to people familiar with the matter .

The possible moves come after the consumer electronics giant said in July it would take drastic action to turn around its loss-making TV business.

One person familiar with the matter said on Thursday that Panasonic is considering selling its LCD panel plant in Mobara, Chiba Prefecture, without specifying to whom the Japanese electronics giant may be selling the plant, or for how much.

The plant has the capacity to produce 600,000 32-inch panels a month.

Another person familiar with the matter said the company is considering scaling down the production of plasma display panels at a plant in Amagasaki, Hyogo Prefecture. The person declined to give further details.

A move by Panasonic to restructure its loss-making TV business would be an indication of the extremely harsh business climate facing the company and other Japanese electronics makers. Fierce price competition and the yen's relentless strength are making it difficult for Japanese firms to make money on TVs.

In late July, when Panasonic announced its earnings for the three months ended June, Chief Financial Officer Makoto Uenoyama said the company was planning "drastic measures" during the current fiscal year through March to address its struggling TV business.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1bM6gWPQE
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

I've added another article to the first post. Sorry you can't read the whole wsj article. The reuters one is pretty much sums it all.

Panasonic 50GT30 | Yamaha HTR-6063 | Energy Take Classic 5.1 | Oppo BDP-93 | Illico - 8642HD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.