Sony Bravia 40" TV Recall: Oct 2011 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Sony Bravia 40" TV Recall: Oct 2011

From the Sony Canada site:

October 12, 2011

NOTICE FOR SONY BRAVIA« LCD HDTV

Models KDL-40V3000, KDL-40VL130, KDL-40W3000, KDL-40WL135, KDL-40XBR4, and KDL-40XBR5

Toronto, Ontario, October 12, 2011 – It has come to Sony's attention through reports in Japan that in rare cases a particular component incorporated in certain models of 40" BRAVIA LCD HDTV [Models KDL-40V3000, KDL-40VL130, KDL-40W3000, KDL-40WL135,
KDL-40XBR4 and KDL-40XBR5] was damaged and as a result, may overheat and at times ignite inside the television. This could possibly result in a hole at a part of the cabinet ceiling. Sony has no reports of any resulting damages to other property or bodily injuries.

Customers choose Sony based in large part to the trust associated with the Sony brand and the products and services we so strongly stand behind, which is why Sony is committed to addressing this issue proactively.

Beginning immediately, Sony offers all customers of the affected models [KDL-40V3000, KDL-40VL130, KDL-40W3000, KDL-40WL135, KDL-40XBR4 and KDL-40XBR5] a free evaluation for the covered product. Customers who have a television covered by this notice should visit www.esupport.Sony.com/ca or call Sony toll-free at 1-877-899-7669, to schedule a service technician to perform an evaluation.

When a request is made, a Sony authorized service representative will promptly visit and evaluate the television and repair it at no charge if an affected component is found.

In the meantime, it is important for those who have a covered television and notice any abnormality in their television unit and its performance (e.g.: unusual noise, unusual smell or smoking), to immediately turn the unit off, unplug the cord, cease using the television, and contact Sony. It has been confirmed that symptoms do not occur when the power is off.

Customers can confirm the model number of their television by looking at the label on the rear of the television. Additionally, the model number can be found on their warranty card.

Apparently, 1.6 million TVs are affected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Apparently, 1.6 million TVs are affected
Quote:
a Sony authorized service representative will promptly visit and evaluate the television
I wonder what 'promptly' is defined as? That is a lot of visits.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 03:58 PM
Member #1

1.6 million worldwide with most in Europe and Japan.

I doubt the numbers are that big in this country.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 04:09 PM

Oh great! One of my TV's is listed above. Guess I'd better schedule my "free inspection".

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct 91-XG & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:50 PM

My first house fire was caused by a Sony Trinitron's power supply. The TV was on "Standby" and started to burn at 3AM on the morning of Mothersday 1999. Fortunately the smoke detector system was functioning and I could react in time to get everything under control....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.