An option for a new tv - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-09-04, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

An option for a new tv

Hi;

I'm not sure where this should go, so feel free to move this.

At some point I am considering a new tv as I have a 10 year old CRT 27 inch JVC.

Living in small quarters it takes up a ton of space BUT has a truly stunning pict as one of the first tv's to be rated at 720 even though 4:3

As I do not have cable or satelllite, I already have a DTV OTA box.

My option is to consider a 24 inch computer monitor and connecting my OTA DTV box to it via a VGA adapter

Why am I thinking this route?? Already have the DTV box, so why get rid of it and besides a 32 inch tv is still too big in a 246 sq ft apt.

Has anyone had experiece doing this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-09-04, 04:29 PM
Member #1

Lots of people use Monitors for TV screen so long as you have an external tuner. Search around especially in the HTPC forum.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-09-04, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Recommendations on best way to connect the tuner as it uses std RCA connections and Most monitors use DVI or VGA??
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-09-04, 06:23 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Does that tuner have 3 RCA connectors, one for each primary colour (component video)? If not, you'll be limited to composite video, which means no HDTV. If it does support component video, then you'll need some sort of adapter to convert to whatever the monitor can handle. My monitor can do VGA, DVI and HDMI. I have the HDMI input connected to a cable STB, the DVI is for my computer and the VGA is for some other computers, connected via KVM. It works fine for TV, but I also had to provide a stereo connection to an audio receiver. Some monitors have built in speakers and may be able to take audio from an HDMI connection. Failing that, amplified speakers or other audio amp will be required. Don't rule out smaller TVs though. There are some available that are smaller than 32" and may result in less hardware being required in the small available space. Many can also be used as a computer monitor.

Abort, Retry, Fail? [Y/N]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-09-04, 06:29 PM

When I was looking for a TV for my Dad's room, I found a 22" Samsung that seems like a computer monitor, but it's a TV, with everything built in (VGA/HDMI/Composite/Digital Tuner). It came in a 26" size as well, but it seemed like a bit much for his room. Yes, you can find a decent computer monitor that'll take a converter input (composite video), but why not find something that'll take everything, and enjoy the digital channels on your new flat screen for about the same price, without the need of a converter box?

One last thing to consider - a 27" CRT is BIG in size, for many reasons, so you'll probably find that a 32" flat screen, regardless of maker, is not going to seem all that big.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-09-04, 06:36 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Quite so. A 32" HDTV actually has slightly less screen area than a 27" CRT, but takes only a small fraction of the space due to the depth of CRT sets vs flat screens. LED back light sets are only about an inch thick.

Abort, Retry, Fail? [Y/N]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-09-04, 07:31 PM
EdT

Scrap that idea !
Today most 24"-27" HDTVs are cheaper than the simple PC monitors at the size range plus you won't get HD signal with a converter box and you have to connect the audio to an amp and speakers !

OTA CM4228HD CM3410 CM4040
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-09-04, 08:01 PM
Veteran

i was lookin for a pc monitor not too long ago, and wound up with a 22" LCD TV up to 1080p resolution, With an ATSC Tuner, 2 HDMI inputs, VGA Input for the PC, so on..

SBGH rotor chimney mount FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd Sammy pctuner hdhomerun mythtv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.