Sharp resurrects Elite brand for LED Televisions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Sharp resurrects Elite brand for LED Televisions

Sharp and Pioneer are bringing back an iconic name in television by introducing Elite LED LCD TVs. Sharp has owned a 14% stake in Pioneer since 2007.

The new line of HDTVs is the first under the Elite brand name since Pioneer stepped making Elite Plasmas in 2009. The sets were developed by a team of engineers from both companies in order to deliver what Sharp says will be the new benchmark for black-level performance and picture clarity since the demise of the Elite Kuro plasma line.

The new 1,920 x 1080p Elite TVs will be available in 60 and 70 inch sizes (models PRO-60X5FD and PRO-70X5FD) in late August for an eye-popping $6,000 and $9,000 respectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 11:41 AM

Kevin Miller reviewed it earlier in August and said the black levels were deeper than the Pioneer Kuro and color accuracy was also better than most TVs available today.

Sounds like a really nice TV, but it's a little too pricey IMO.

Panasonic 50GT30 | Yamaha HTR-6063 | Energy Take Classic 5.1 | Oppo BDP-93 | Illico - 8642HD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-08-20, 04:23 PM

yes, 6 grand does seem a tad pricey..lol..good lord!
I think 1500 is about the most I would pay for a 50" plasma or LCD.

If you are in the hunt for world's best picture however, price probably doesn't mean much. IT's probably good that there is a bleeding edge since it usually filters down to more reasonably priced consumer products.

Kingston-Pace RNG200N,Paradigm Studio 60 v3, Paradigm CC 590 v5, Anthem MRX 700, Panny VT-55, Oppo BDP-83, Oppo BDP 105

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-08-20, 08:55 PM

I wonder if it will employ Quattron? Otherwise how will we see yellow on it?

Seriously, I think its great that a new high end LED is being developed. These types of things drive the lower end (my affordability zone) up in quality. Pioneer and Sharp are both quality manufacturers so it should be a very nice unit. I still remember when I was shopping for my first big screen, plasmas were $6000 - $8000 and the only other choice was CRT rear projection (this was just before DLP), now you can get a 600 subfield drive plasma for under $700 and it wont set your electric meter spinning like a knife sharpener like those easrly power hungry plasmas. New ones don't heat the room as much either.

LED will be my next TV, probably not one of these though, unless I can get a line on 6 good numbers between 1 and 49.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-08-21, 12:05 AM

Good on them, but I'm worried about how well such a TV will do with bluray rentals losing out to Netflix, iTunes rentals, VOD, etc...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-08-21, 12:57 AM

If you buy this TV I doubt you’d watch a lot of Netflix. If you've got 6 grand for a TV you buy your movies on Bluray as soon as they’re released and you probably don’t watch a lot of SD. With the right gear iTunes video might look great and anything that is 1080p should look stellar. 720p won't look bad either, but 480p will look pretty sad on a premium big screen with Kuro quality.

HD is the destined to be the new standard anyway IMO, I think it’s time SD was referred to as LD. Perhaps 3D HD will be the new home entertainment pinnacle, perhaps it’s a gimmick. 3D glasses less technology may make it even more attractive and will probably start a 3D war similar to the HDDVD vs Bluray battle that just ended a few years back. Remember HDDVD?

I think there will always be room for a very good (Elite) flatscreen TV in the market, and if this is anything like a Kuro then it fits the bill.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 01:35 PM

For those interested, there are a couple of PRE- REVIEWS floating around from CEDIA on this set pioneer-elite-pro-x5fd-plasma(link below).
I am really looking forward to seeing this set up close and reading some reviews once the sets hit the test benches. If this set comes down 1500-2000 bucks I may jump on it, assuming it will do all that the Kuros do and BETTER.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/t...ro-x5fd-plasma

Paul

Pioneer Kuro 60", Integra DHC 80.3, Parasound Halo A51, Oppo 93, ELAC FS247's, Velodyne SPLR1000.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 02:27 PM

Greetings

Saw the sets here at CEDIA yesterday and today at the THX booth and the Pioneer booths. The spokes people talking to the public about the Elites wear these black shirts with ELITE emblazened on them and in their back ...near one of the shoulders ... the red Sharp words are sown into the same shirt. Bezel is a dark gray rather than the piano black finish so it makes the black levels look blacker than they may actually be. The 6 set media wall at thx was showing hd demo clips of the SW saga ... and only one of the sets was using the THX media director function which made the image look slightly different than the other five displays.

Priced pretty much exactly where the old 60" elites were priced. $7500 from most stores when those sets were around in 2008-2009.

The THX mode does not use the quattron part of the tv ... which is kinda funny ...

regards

Michael @ TLVExperience
ISF/THX Video Systems Instructor
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-09-11, 07:58 PM

Greetings

Have to do a correction. Talked with the powers that be at THX. The quattron is active in the THX mode. They got sharp to do the math correctly ...

regards

Michael @ TLVExperience
ISF/THX Video Systems Instructor
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-11-28, 04:39 PM

I purchased the 70" Sharp Elite

This is, by far, the best picture on a TV I've ever seen. I'm blown away by it, and I haven't even had it calibrated yet. The THX Movie mode is outstanding out of the box. Deep, deep blacks and amazing color.

Awaiting a firmware fix for a minor color management issue, then will have it properly calibrated. Coupled with my Oppo BluRay player, HD never looked so good.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-11-28, 09:40 PM

"Finally, their new Elite Advantage Live service comes with these TVs and gives real (human) customer support for the TV and adjustments can be made remotely if it's networked. This is for the life of the television."

Taken from the article linked above.

Interesting. I suppose for rudimentary trouble shooting this would be great, but I can't see a remote tweaking for picture adjustment being beneficial if the tech isn't there to see the picture.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live

Tags
elite , led hdtv , pioneer , sharp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.