XBR 10 line of LCD HDTVs can receive video wirelessly - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-09-10, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

XBR 10 line of LCD HDTVs can receive video wirelessly

Sony this week introduced a new line of Bravia XBR 10 LCD HDTVs which feature 1080p wireless transmission of HD signals from a separate media box to a receiver embedded in the TV, allowing source components to be placed out of sight.

Using UWB technology I believe.

The KDL-46XBR10 and KDL-52XBR10 models will be available this October for about $5,000 and $5,500, respectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-09-12, 11:16 AM

I would love one of these!!! Imagine the possibilities of being able to place a large tv anywhere in your home and not have to run the wiring. Not willing to spend 5 g's on one, but the future is bright.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-09-12, 10:04 PM

I got all excited until I saw the price! Not really sure how those features could demand such a hefty price but I'm sure some people will pay it. I wonder if Canadians would have access to all of the online content or does the CRTC have a way of screwing us here as well?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-09-14, 01:36 PM

So let me get this straight Sony is selling an inferior TV to the Sony XBR8 (edge lit vs trilumous-locally dimmed led tv), 3 inches smaller and is going to end up costing more. Amazing strategy Sony...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-09-15, 06:01 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher101 View Post
So let me get this straight Sony is selling an inferior TV to the Sony XBR8 (edge lit vs trilumous-locally dimmed led tv), 3 inches smaller and is going to end up costing more. Amazing strategy Sony...
punisher101 is right on point with this one. Those who love Sony with have kittens with they get the news about this new HDTV. Sony will sell a bunch of these.

I would like to be in the room when those who buy the set, realize that they could have bought an DLNA capable set like the XBR8, added something like the Linksys Media Center Extender and a Ethernet to Wi-fi bridge, a get better performance for less money.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-09-15, 09:00 AM

Let's see.........a TV that doesn't need wires running to it from a box......Didn't we all have one of those in the 1960's?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-10-30, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Sony has informed me that the Sony XBR10 prices have now been confirmed at:

46” XBR10 = $4,000 (down from $5,000 in original release)
52” XBR10 = $5,000 (down from $5,500 in original release)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2009-10-30, 10:40 PM

i looked at the xbr10 today at work. nice looking set. very thin. the wireless video is not well implemented imho. it seems to be IR based. it needs line of sight to make the picture work. if you hide the box in a cabinet somewhere, it can't communicate with the tv. and there is no option for a hard wire hdmi connection between the box and the tv.

if you have a chance to see one, go up to it and place your hands side by side below the sony logo on the tv and watch the picture disappear before your eyes...

the xbr8 should be available at a good discount. sony last week had a big drop in the cost of the sets [55" dropped over $700]

nick leinonen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.