Samsung LNT4042 - power issue - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-09-03, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Samsung LNT4042 - power issue

Hi all

So recently my tv has started acting really odd. When I power on in the morning, it will make a clicking sound like its turning on and off multiple times (10+) then will come on and stay on and be fine. Seems to occur only after its been off for a few hours.

Purchased the TV from FS almost 2 years ago and is covered by an extended warranty.

Tried unplugging the power cord, and when I plugged it back in, it kept clicking.

Googled the issue and found a couple instances of it occurring, some suggest a power supply issue.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-09-03, 02:18 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Sounds like a bad relay. Since it's still under warranty and if it happens repeatedly (you can force it to do it when the service guy is there), I'd call for service before the warranty ends.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-09-16, 01:07 PM

I just had this exact same thing happen with my Samsung LNT 4669 TV. It was bad capacitors.

Did some research and this looks like a common problem with Samsung TVs.

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=190198
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=16976432

The repair person said Samsung were using cheap capacitors. Not impressed with Samsung's quality control on this and even less impressed by their support. (Their only advice was to unplug and replug in the TV)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-06-24, 10:10 AM

replacement caps, too big? bad placement?

Hi All,

I'm hoping there's someone out there that can give me some advice...

I had to replace 3 caps (2x 1000uf/25v, 1x 1000uf/10v) in my Samsung LN52A650 (2008?) tonight due to common clicking on/off problem due to bad caps in power supply. The only replacements I could find were 1x 1000uf/16v and big 2x 1000uf/25v, which is the same rating as the ones that burned out.

The 1000uf/25v are about 3 times the size of the originals, and I have 3 questions:

- even though the same rating, will they last longer than originals due to size?

- is mounting them on an angle a bad idea? (see pic below)

- they are closer to the heatsink behind them now, is the heatsink a factor in the early cap deaths?

The set has been working fine now for 4 hours, but I'm wondering if I should be worried about the replacement caps, their size, or their placement.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.