Plasma + Computer (PC games) Bad Idea? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-08-28, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Plasma + Computer (PC games) Bad Idea?

With all the horror's of Plasma burn-in, is it a really bad idea to get a Plasma if I primarily plan on hooking this up to my PC? I play some games for 3-4 hours at a time sometimes at night, some nights I watch TV, others I pay games (with stationary objects, like health bars or inventory numbers (like ammo) for example).

I know some TVs have pixel shifting, but does that really help alot? Would I almost be better off just going with LCD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-08-28, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Going to town tomorrow to decide if I wanna go with the Plasma or stick with the LCD that I have money on.

If playing the same game with health bars in the same location for 3-4 hours per night is gonna cause burn-in, then perhaps I need to stick with an LCD instead.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-09-02, 04:14 PM
Rookie

no it dose not matter if you get one of the panisonic ones (last years or this years)

just when u get the tv have a break in period of abouyt 150 hours and yull be fine

the new tvs have pixel orbitors and other protection so burn in is not an issue

is suggest this one]
http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audi...cp42_46g10.asp

please not at local stores i see that one priced at 1 699- 1 799 for the 46 " one
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-09-02, 07:06 PM

greetings

Ask my friend who bought a plasma in January and had burn in by April whether burn is no longer an issue. Guess that makes it all better for him.

Gaming ... play for a while ... put something else on for a similar while. Don't shut it off ...

Play for 3 hours ... exercise it for 2 hours with moving stuff that fills the screen.

Plasma sets are most prone to permanent damage in the first 200 to 500 hours. They get more robust after that ... but robust does not mean impervious.

regards

Michael @ TLVExperience
ISF/THX Video Systems Instructor
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-09-02, 10:09 PM

Micheal . what was the brand of the tv and what was his viewing habits"?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-09-02, 11:13 PM

Greetings

Samsung ... and normal viewing ... of HD material ... minimal SD. The 4:3 black bars on HD channels did him in. There is pixel shift on his set ... all it does is make the wear lines less distinct ... but they are still very much visible.

This is also on a calibrated TV ... and not one running in torch mode.

Just did a client with a Panny 1080p set from last year ... burn in of 4:3 bars. These are average joes ... so uneven wear is still very real.

Sure one can look for reasons why it happened ... but the thing is that it did happen ... to people that used the TV normally as 99% of the public would be expected to do.

regards

Michael @ TLVExperience
ISF/THX Video Systems Instructor
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-09-03, 02:48 AM

I game way too much, have had nothing but plasma tvs,
had a Samsung for like 5 or 6 years tons of gaming on it, never had burn in, on that TV after watching a movie with black bars, you could kind of still see them for a few minutes but went away after some full screen viewing

got a panny now no issues,

3 of my buddies live together all on different work schedules, no word of a lie, other than for sporting events, from 2pm-4 or 5am everyday 5 days a week they do almost nothing but play vids, I'm almost shocked if I log into live or psn and 1 of them isn't on,

I've never seen any burn in on their plasma,

pretty sure burn in is a thing of the past thesse days, or maybe limited to cheaper TVs
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-09-03, 09:46 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Burn in is not a thing of the past. The viewing on those plasmas mentioned in post 7 may simply be varied enough to not cause burn in. Also, some people never put up a monochromatic screen (like watching hockey for example) or putting up a test pattern and they don't notice the burn in that they do have until they have it really bad. See the following FAQ on the topic:

FAQ - Burn In & Break In.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-09-04, 03:55 AM

maybe I just can't tell, but I've seen burn in on other tvs,
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-09-05, 08:54 AM

buy yourself a dell 30 inch pc monitor no burning and amazing 2560 x 1600 resolution
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-09-11, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post
Greetings

Samsung ... and normal viewing ... of HD material ... minimal SD. The 4:3 black bars on HD channels did him in. There is pixel shift on his set ... all it does is make the wear lines less distinct ... but they are still very much visible.

This is also on a calibrated TV ... and not one running in torch mode.

Just did a client with a Panny 1080p set from last year ... burn in of 4:3 bars. These are average joes ... so uneven wear is still very real.

Sure one can look for reasons why it happened ... but the thing is that it did happen ... to people that used the TV normally as 99% of the public would be expected to do.

regards
Incidently, there is a stretch mode called WIDE FIT for Samsung LCDs and Plasmas that stretches pillared 4:3 content in 1080i/720p. The WIDE FIT is a rare treat as stretch modes are not common in HD resolution. Howver, it is a PITA to use as AR is skewed, content is cropped and more importantly it is easy to forget to revert back to 1:1 mode.

My Samsung plasma hides image retention really well and I can totally see myself lower the guard of my anal-retentive anti-burn-in viewing habits. It is still a surprise to get burn-in for his use as the percentage of pillared 4:3 worthy content is not that high.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.