Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need advice on HDTV antenna in Toronto

22K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 ·
New TV, new to OTA, need an antenna....many questions, help!

I live in a ground floor condo in Toronto 2.2km from the CN tower facing almost due west (290 degrees). There are no obstructions immediately outside my window as there is a park just outside my building and then another larger building further on which I suspect I am catching reflected signals from on the bunny ears I have right now. Currently I receive CityTVHD(rarely choppy) CtvHD (always clear), both OmniHD channels, SunHD and a fairly choppy CBCHD.

I have a space about 3(H)x5(w)x3(d)ft in my ceiling where I can stash an antenna that faces the large outdoor windows. What antenna should I put up there? Outdoor is not an option due to condo restrictions.

Do I have a hope of getting Buffalo stations? A guy a Kromer’s assured me I would with the Terk HDTVo (seems like an amplified version of a silver sensor) but I took this with a grain of salt. People seem to have their hate on for Terk from what I’ve read but I have no experience to base an opinion on. It would fit perfectly though.

Also when I moved in the cable was never disconnected and its been like that for ages, now when I plug in the coax to my TV (Samsung LN52A650) I get a whole bunch of channels beyond 13 that I didn’t before(Is my Tv unscrambling QAM signals?). Problem is they look terrible, Is there any way of cleaning these up? Like a 3rd party tuner box or something? Is there one available that could also take my HDTV antenna signal as well?

I’m really only interested in HD content and I find it hard to justify the expense of a cable package I won’t use (or already get) just to get a couple extra channels.

I’ve tried to read up on this (this forum has been an immense help) but I think now I’m just at the point where I should ask people who know....thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
ac13, we have three forums for discussing OTA reception so you've come to the right place. This forum is for discussing HD televisions so you will need to post in the OTA forums.

Everything you need to get started is here. Once you've had a chance to read that, check out the OTA Reception results thread.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.