Review: Wal-Mart Canada - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 22 25.88%
Somewhat Satisfied 36 42.35%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 10 11.76%
Extremely Dissatisfied 17 20.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-01-07, 04:17 AM

I bought a squirt-gun for my son in 1989 and haven't been back since. This is one US retailer that will not get a penny from our family. We'll pay more or do without.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 11:54 PM
Veteran

I only buy DVD/BluRays at Wally World. I picked up the PS3 there because I figured I would have less of an issue if I had to return open boxed for some reason to FS or BB for example. I wouldn't buy a DVD player or TV from them though as those knockoff just aren't work it.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 10:37 PM

Dropped into the New West Wal-Mart the other day looking for Wii Mario Kart game for our grandson but came up empty. While there, I noticed that they now stock name brand HDTVs at very competitive prices.
Once again we were subjected to a constant barrage of very loud, completely unintelligible announcements coming over the P.A. systems. I asked a male employee what was this girl yelling and he just shrugged and said he couldn't make it out either and he hears her all day long (the poor bast--d)!

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 12:15 PM

Walmart almost always accept return (without reciept sometimes, and even without box). That's one good thing for Walmart.

But I don't recommend buying electronics in Walmart. They just carry low-quality products for low price many times.
Also my dad likes Walmart TOO MUCH. Even though he can buy things at Zellers or Canadian Tire on Millwoods Town Centre, he always goes to Walmart(it is in South Edmonton Common, Supercentre). It's a waste of oil.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 05:40 PM

Wal-Mart has to be my favourite retailer (tho it's be interesting to see how Target does).

Wal-Mart prices here usually are comparable to the US counterpart for many items when I cross check my local store and Walmart.com - rare for the Canadian market.

I'm not sure why people are so hard on the value electronics sold there - the build quality is usualy find since Wal-Mart doesn't tolerate less from it's suppliers (and if they don't the supplier is gone).

I still have booting around here a 5 yr old Symphonic PVR with 80GB HDD and a Venturer HTiB that works great to this day. Just because one brand of value electronics is junky doesn't mean all are.

I also got my cellphone and computer from them without having to deal with that upsell or extended warranty harassment found at other retailers like Future Shop - and for a cheaper price than any other retailer.

OTA Free: CBC, CTV, CHCH, PBS, PBS World, TVO, WNLO, Global, OMNI1, CityTV, OMNI2.
Premium TV: R2 DVDs (Cheaper)
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 08:00 PM

I really like their prices! We recently bought a Little Green Machine there for $73.99 and I see in the current Canadian Tire flyer the same unit on sale for $89.99.
We try and get of their store quickly as we find the constant loud, raspy, and unintelligible P.A. announcements really annoying!
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 04:48 AM
Veteran

My experience is that product in WM USA is 20-30% lower than WM Canada, even with the $ at par or above. Therefore I usually shop at WM USA during a couple of trips a year. This may be because I generally am comparing to WM in the interior of BC and perhaps in major centres prices stay more competitive. I have also found the inexpensive HDMI cables etc.(sometimes you want one right now, sorry Monoprice) are in funny locations but the expensive ones are now right where they should be! Grab a $29 cable instead of the $10 cable in the corner!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-03-25, 02:17 PM

I've had both experiences with Wal-Mart.

Bad: I purchased one of their propane tanks because they have an exchange program. Bring in the old tank and get a new filled one at a discounted rate. The lady at customer service was saying my tank was too old, despite my assurances the stamp on the top was the date the tank was filled and was not past their exchange time frame. I received no satisfaction, so I went outside and ripped the entire propane tank guide off the metal storage unit outside and brought it back into them. They gave me the 25 dollar discount I was entitled to.

Good: I think I can just guess which battery my cordless phone needs and bought the wrong one. I tried to return it and customer service refused to exchange the 30 dollar battery because it was opened. I was bummed out, but I understood. I brought the wrong battery and the cordless phone with me to electronics and asked for help picking the right one. The manager asked me why I just didn't exchange. When I explained, he got me the right battery and initiated the exchange for me.

My opinions and time are all my own.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 08:37 AM
Rookie

Evil Empire

The opening of a Wal-Mart in any community means the death not only of it's economy but of it's soul. If anyone has any pride in there city, they will join in force againts this evil empire. Just a few facts.
2/3 of Wal-Mart’s workers cannot participate in its health insurance plan because of its high cost and huge deductibles....
Wal-Mart workers in Jonquiere, Quebec successfully organized their workplace through the United Food and Commercial Workers’ Union. Wal-Mart’s response was to close the store. 200 workers lost their jobs....
Wal-Mart challenged Saskatchewan labour laws, citing that their rights under the charter were being infringed upon after refusing to provide the Saskatchewan Labour Board with internal documents on training management how to remain union-free....
Wal-Mart has been found guilty 4 times in Canada for unfair labour practices for intimidating and harassing workers during an organizing campaign.
There is only one solution to stop this giant monster......DON'T BUY THERE!
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 04:26 PM

I've never really had a problem with them until just this week. On January 3rd my wife made a $28 debit purchase, there was some issue with it going through so the clerk had her try it a few times. The receipt showed the failures and the one authorization so it all seemed fine. Yesterday she saw on her bank statement that there were 2 transactions to the same store number for the exact same amount. Today she went to get the money refunded armed with her statement and receipt figuring they would be reasonable about it. No, they absolutely refused to do anything and said to go see the bank. The bank was helpful but said that Walmart received the money so walmart would have to issue a refund. So back she went and insisted on seeing managers, apparently they were not nice about it and really didn't care.
Well, they will lose out on more than the $28 they stole as we will never go back.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 08:02 PM

I will never go back to Walmart, in November went there to do some shopping, paid for my purchases was on the was out and a staffer checked out my bags on the way out. I don't know if she could read but called in another person to check the receipt. It was all in order but I was mad. Demanded a return of my money and was told it would be quite a wait because they were backed up (customer service). Just ended taking my paid goods and never will be back there again.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-11-04, 01:48 AM

Since no body posted any horror stories about Walmart for a long time, here is mine. At Walmart, Vaudreuil, Quebec location two varieties of apples were placed in cardboard bins side-by-side. Both varieties were priced the same $0.97/lb. My wife packed two bags of apples from one bin. At the cash the cashier noticed that the codes on the apples in the bags were mixed meaning they were from different bins. We told them we took the apples from one bin, but it does not matter because the apples are priced the same. The cashier said it matters because inventory count will be off. She started ripping the plastic bags and scanning each apple individually. When we complained about the ridiculous service the manager came over and took the side of the cashier. The two women started whispering to each other and making stupid smiles. Complete lack of respect for costumer and lack of professionalism. It is very badly run chain, staffed from bottom to top with uneducated individuals without any proper manners.

Few weeks ago new Walmart store opened up in Pincourt, Quebec. It was converted from former Zellers store. Few days ago we gave it a visit. Zellers at this location was notorious for being understaffed with only one or two cashes open and very unfriendly service. Well the location must be doomed, because the new Walmart is the same. Only two cashes open and very unfriendly service. The cashier looked like she was mad that people come to the cash. She did not say a word throughout the transaction. No "hallo", no nothing. I guess she was trained at Vaudreuil location.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-11-09, 01:14 PM

I honestly don't have anything bad to say about Walmart. All of my shopping experiences have been good although I'm not expecting much from them whenever I shop there which I don't do very often. No one should be expecting much from them as they are usually students being paid minimum wage who just work there because they want a bit of money or seniors that are there to earn a few much needed extra bucks to survive. Don't go there expecting the kids there to help you choose your TV or DVD player or anything else for that matter. You go there because it's cheap and there's usually a decent selection.

I only go there to buy cheap t-shirts to wear under my shirts, toothpaste and petty stuff like that. I don't buy my electronics there and rarely buy food. Actually, a couple of years ago I showed up to the Walmart auto center on a Sunday morning to fix a flat tire and they did a really good job. The tire was not only punctured but had a slash in it from a piece of metal that got stuck in the tire. The guy who fixed the flat told me he wasn't sure the patch would hold because the slash was quite long on it. The patch still holds to this day.

Anyway, if you head to Walmart with low expectations, you should not be disappointed.

As for their return policy and the way they might have "handled" things for a few of you, it's never fun to have someone insinuate that you might be trying to pull a quick one. However, you have to put yourself in their shoes. They probably got screwed so much that now they see everyone as being dishonest. They don't know you personally and they can't assume that you are honest. They could however be more polite about it for sure and definitely do their research. It's incredible what people will do to take advantage of a company like say, buy a product that they need for one use, use it and return it. My father in law bought a Dewalt drill at CT last summer and when he opened the box their were two used hot dog wrappers in the box. He returned it without a hassle and got a new one but still, this is the kind of crap that stores have to deal with on a regular basis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.