Review: London Drugs - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 50 64.10%
Somewhat Satisfied 18 23.08%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 6 7.69%
Extremely Dissatisfied 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2009-07-27, 05:00 AM

In some ways, I do see what you're saying here.

However, the reason I'm frustrated is not by what was offered because, trust me, I do see that it is a fair deal taken out of context.

That said, when I purchased the camera, the sales rep told me in no uncertain terms if there was an issue with the camera, there would be an over the counter swap for an equal quality, equal feature camera. This is what I wanted. This is what I've gotten in the few times prior that I've had issues with electronics at either Future Shop or Best Buy.

Complain as you may, their Product Exchange Plans have treated me very well. I had an older Creative Zen Vision:M that broke down. I paid a fair amount for it at the time, but the change in technology meant that a player with more features, more storage was less expensive, and allowed me to get that player with no hassle.

When I paid for the warranty at LD, it was made clear that it would be an equal match. But apparently because I got mine on sale, that wasn't a fair expectation. There was no advisement that it would be a like value product, rather a like feature. For the price I paid 2 years ago, there is nothing even close in the feature range for my camera. The quality of everything is lower. That wasn't even a consideration, and the attitude taken was that there was no ifs, ands or buts about it. It was like value, take it or leave it. And the attitude toward the problems I was having also rubbed me the wrong way. The rep that I dealt with was rude and condescending.

I will say that it may have been the store. I've never, ever had problems with purchases at any other LD store in the past.

As for the hesitation about them duplicating the problem, I showed multiple samples over a wide period of time, which gave a clear "picture" of the problems I was having. They assured me that it was fine, and there'd be no problems, I'd just have to wait.

To get the call afterwards saying that "Well, maybe it was just a cleaning and maintenance issue" was frustrating, as I'd gone through the rigamaroll to confirm the problem. It's not an issue that's easily replicated in a standard office environment, but I was able to replicate it indoors, multiple times. Hence why I showed the pictures there. Why they weren't able to confirm that with the warranty people baffles me, or at least why they did not ask to have hard copy samples to send to the warranty division before getting a call a few weeks later advising that they were having problems finding the problem.

And as for the cash value for the camera, it's easily lessened by the 20% on top I had to pay for the warranty.

I wouldn't be so upset if, when I asked upon purchase of the warranty, this was made clear. I would have expected that. However, like I've stated, the warranty was misrepresented and I feel stung by that.

Maybe other dealings with the LD warranty wouldn't be an issue, but I won't do it again. At the very least, not from that store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 09:53 AM
Rookie

I'm living in Edmonton and have bought a cell phone and a little Sharp TV from London Drugs in the past, never had any problem with them. Went in recently to price out a new computer (but I was in the store anyway) I'm not all that great on computers. I told the saleslady there that my last comp was a complete dud (I'll leave out the brand name for now) and I said I was possibly looking at an Apple for the first time in my life because for once I had the money I told her I had heard they were more user-friendly. She shook her head: "Not if you've never used one before" and we discussed it and she mentioned a couple of other brands names instead. We talked about them, I said I would think it over and went home. However something came up, had a kind of financial emergency and in the end I had to get a 're-furbished' comp instead.

And all I can think of is: She tried to talk me out of an Apple. At that store anyway, its price was twice as much as any of the other brands there. She could have just said nothing. She could have made more money for the store, could have said "Yeah, they're great, go with it" and she didn't! She was polite and blunt-spoken and was willing to let me make my own decision.

Wow. I was impressed.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 02:19 PM

I bought a couple of iPad accessories from London Drugs recently as part of the boxing day sales and I have to say I was quite happy with the service I received from both stores in Saskatoon.

I tried to purchase a Logiix Smartpad which they had in the flyer but I didn't find it in the shelves but the clerk took the time to look in the back and to no avail the item was all gone... Which I found out later likely does not even exist , it was an error in the flyer.

Given all the madness that is boxing day sales , I was happy to get good service from London Drugs...compared with other electronics retailed the service was exceptional.

I too work in the service industry and realize good service should be a standard across but I think the good one should be mentioned since the negativities always get more attention.

Sharp D64u 42" & 46" , PS3 , Toshiba Qosmio G40, Yamaha 6130B, Energy Take Classic

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2012-07-10, 03:56 PM
Rookie

Certified Data PC from London Drugs

Purchased 2009 c/w extra 2 yr warranty (which should add to the 1yr you get for free, unknown if true to this date)
-entire tower replaced within first month.
- store said I need my house inspected for faulty wiring and this cost me $2,000.00 and Certified Electrician wrote my house wiring had zero problems.
- Monitor replaced 4 times first year
- After one yr, motherboard and graphics card replaced.
- other parts replaced.
- After 2 years, the store has had this PC at least a dozen times, it is still giving me many problems, I have sent a letter and I am being ignored totally.
Your overall level of satisfaction = very unsatisfied
If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience. The service, availability of technicians, was all very polite, friendly, but the product is a total lemon after all my patience, enough is enough and I need a replacement please. I am being ignored by Head Office of London Drugs. I really dont want to return to the local store where I purchased it as the employee there gave me the finger.

I would like to know what I should do to get a new PC or a refund. Where can I write? Any info would be appreciated.
Thank you
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2012-08-02, 11:48 PM

Cajunkay:

I don't know much about that retailer, but I do know a little about computers (I'm ex IT guy). If I were you, I'd consider checking the power supply on that PC, as that's likely the culprit when many things keep going "poof" and dying. The common factor is usally bad power.

what kind of PSU do you have in that machine?

Brainer
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-02-14, 10:32 PM
Rookie

I like London Drugs too. I buy my computers, cameras and electronics at London Drugs over FS/BB. London Drugs do price match which makes shopping so much easier.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-02-15, 02:54 AM
Veteran

About 20 years ago I dropped London Drugs from any electronics shopping visits. They had become consistently overpriced and underskilled. Prior to that this techie had done a lot of business with them. Price matching is a gimmick. 90%(a guess) of Canadians don't check and get hosed.
I visited Vernon BC store recently and confirmed things have not changed.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-02-15, 11:29 AM

When London Drugs opened its first store in Winnipeg (almost 10 years ago) it was
the only store carrying Klipsch speakers - MDF casing, quality crossovers, etc.
In its niche probably the best value speakers...
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2014-07-08, 10:03 PM

1 very good thing about london drugs is blow out pricing, time it right and you can get insane deals.
I'm a fan of no pressure sales with good pricing

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.