Review: Costco - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 189 79.08%
Somewhat Satisfied 33 13.81%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 7 2.93%
Extremely Dissatisfied 10 4.18%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-11-18, 06:05 PM

Thumbs up

COSTCO ! What more can I add except to say that most every time my wife and/or I visit the Victoria (or anywhere) warehouse we breath a sigh of relieve when we enter their doors. It is so friendly with staff or just running into friends and neighbours there.

The prices can be a tad higher than competitors at times (just wait awhile if in no hurry) but with their liberal returns policy I feel the comfort level more than balances out most other retailer's "extended warranty$" ..plus no hassle! Couple that with getting their AMex card (with nifty cash-back options included) and most manufacturer's warranties are doubled (max 1 year extra) on that CC.

That makes sense if a repair is desired rather than taking it back only to find out the product is no longer available. It could also cover the limited returns policy for comps and laptops.

Beefs? - - limited selection and little display longevity (snooze or lose), online selection can be quite different than a warehouse and they will not send or bring in merchandise from other warehouses.

However, they will tell you if an article is due for a price drop and changeout. And as for online ordering, absolutely great delivery service.

Yup, to us it's been well worth the membership fees!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-12-07, 07:12 PM

I was looking to buy a Pioneer 50” Plasma. The Costco price was massively below what everyone else had the same TV for. Ultimately we found one dealer who took the time to point out that Costco was actually selling the 2006 model and that they were selling the 2007 model; he then dropped the price on his 2007 model until it was only $ 120 above the Costco price. Even if you are not buying at Costco; their prices can still be useful. Not to mention you can always grab a cheap bite to eat afterwards.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-12-07, 09:37 PM

Wink

Thing to watch out for at Costco is they are not an authorized dealer for the sale of many electronics (ie: flat panels). As such warranties are many times not covered by the manufacturers. However, most items are warrantied by Costco and repairs can be covered under their Amex card. Coupled with their liberal returns policy it can imply a good sense of security.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-12-11, 06:32 PM
Rookie

Smile Great place!

I've bought computers & laptops here before and their return policy can't be beat!

Only caution would be to know what you want BEFORE going there because they are severely understaffed in the computer dept.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 2007-12-26, 08:20 AM

Costco is an excellent store. I haven't had any problems and their in-store customer service is friendly. The St. John's store could use some organization but that's another story.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-02-04, 01:19 AM
Veteran

When you post, please try to include the following information:

I have been a member of COSTCO for approximately 20 years.
I do not always buy my products there but I definitely use their pricing as a reference point when shopping.

Products purchased: Paint, electrical items, groceries, electronics and much more.

Timeframe: My latest acquisition worth mentioning was my optoma projector (Iíve seen it for the longest time without doing any move and one day, I show for grocery and noticed theyíve dropped the price by $300, went elsewhere in the major stores to compare price and no one could match and then decided it was time to buy).

Location(s) I deal with: Mostly I deal with the Gatineau warehouse but at times it is convenient to deal with the Nepean store as it is close to work.

Overall level of satisfaction: Overall, I am very please with their merchandise, pricing, service and friendliness (there is even few employees in the electronics department that will rush to come and chit chat with me even when not buying).

Positive experience(s): Very seldom had to return goods but when the day happened, no questions asked, prompt return and same great service as when buying. Returned the same purchase 3 times without any problems whatsoever!

Negative(s):As most people stated, donít snooze or you loose! COSTCO buys, it must be out quickly and no guarantee it will come back! For example, I was after one of their snow blower and didnít matter how often I would go to the store in order to ensure I wouldnít miss the deal, in no time they were gone. No way of paying for it and pick-up next day. I addressed a long e-mail to COSTCO and got fairly prompt response, they responded to each and every concern I had but their policy remains firm and that is it. I just have to live with it! Now, my policy is simple, if I see something I want and can afford it, I get it right away or else I know I might live with the consequences! I donít really on them having what I want, if need be there is other stores.

Overall, I recommend this store to everyone that likes good opportunities.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 09:47 AM

Thumbs up

I've had a membership for years and although I don't shop there religiously, if there is something specific I'm in the market for, it is one of my stops.

In August I purchased a set of four new tires for my truck. After a short discussion on my needs the rep gave me a couple of options. I told him which I wanted, he checked if they were in stock (which they were) and after I paid for them he said, "Oh, by the way, these are going on sale next month so keep the receipt and come back in to get a refund for the difference." The next month I did as he suggested and went to the returns counter. After a short check I was refunded the difference, no questions - no hassles.

Like mentioned, you have to bear in mind that not everything is deeply discounted, and if you want something they have, it's best to pick it up right away, as they rotate stock regularly.

I've always had good experiences there.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 01:36 PM

Been a member for a long time now and have upgraded to the Exec Membership card that costs a $100 a year. You earn 2% on each purchases and they send you a check about a month before it's time to renew and so far it has always covered at least have of the membership.

You get some coupons that are exclusive to Executive Members about twice a year I believe.

Prices are more very good on mostly everything you can find in store except for a few exceptions here and there.

As many have said, product availability is sometimes a problem. You can go in one week and get something, get there 2 days later and they are out and won't be ordering for a bit.

Customer service is not their forte ie: don't ask them if the mitter saw they are selling is any good. They won't know. That's not a service that they really offer. Buy something you don't like and bring it back and they will take it back, no questions asked.

Their restaurant although not healthy, is ridiculously priced, in a good way! So is Propane.

All in all, a very good place to shop, good variety, good prices but with limited selection.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-01-15, 08:00 PM

Costco isn't typically a place I go to make a planned digital purchase. It's a place for impulse buys. After a few disappointments with these impulse buys, I decided to surf on my iPhone before buying to read reviews and check prices. Occasionally, I have bought something and discovered I didn't like it after I used it. Each time, I've been able to return it to Costco for a full refund with no resistance.

---------------------
Ricketty Rabbit
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 07:03 PM

Ordered an LCD television off Costco's website. I found their price to be in line with other companies for a similar name brand t.v. with similar features (give or take about $20). The bonus is that they delivered it to my home (saved me from borrowing a van or truck to pickup from Costco store) and on electronics (at least on t.v.'s) Costco adds an additional year onto the warranty - the one year warranty became two years.

I had a question about the t.v. so had an opportunity to call their help line (Costco's concierge service). Gave them my Costco card number and they pretty well had my entire transaction on record. Very handy and helpful.

They then transfered me to a Samsung representative to answer my question specific to my t.v. (not sure if the rep was actually located at Costco's office or Samsung's call centre but it was really convenient.)

I would order from the site again especially larger items as they deliver.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-03-30, 06:04 AM

Another job well done by Costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Brother printer inks LC-41 in colours magenta, cyan, yellow and black.
Ordered online at 3 a.m. WEDNESDAY.... received 6:30 p.m. THURS. March 29, 2007.
Delivered to Brampton via UPS from Costco.ca warehouse Etobicoke.

Extremely Satisfied... as you might imagine, 39 hour delivery, fair price, no shipping charges.
Just like the purchase shown above, Costco has continued to satisfy this customer.

Salter Nutri-Weigh Dietary Computer Scale.
Ordered online @ 10 p.m. SUNDAY....received 6:33 p.m. TUES. March 29, 2011.
Delivered to Brampton via UPS from Costco distributor in Mississauga.

Again, extremely satisfied.....under 48 hours for delivery, best price we could find, no shipping charges.

(curious coincidence; exactly 4 years between deliveries)
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-04-01, 11:44 PM

Last Friday I purchased a Samsung LN46C 650 for $889.99. On some sites the online price is around $1200 for the same set so I'm happy with the deal. The thing that really swayed me in favour of Costco is their additional one year warranty above the manufacturer's own warranty.
I called their Concierge Service to find out how to view my building's security channel but the fellow couldn't help me after numerous tries. He then passed me onto a Samsung technician who tried to walk me through the many steps several times but that also failed. Incidentally, 57 solved my problem.
While I was talking to the the Samsung tech, he not only asked me for the Model Number but he also wanted the Model Code Number (L1FXZC). I asked him wouldn't just the model number give him what he wanted and he replied that the LN46C 650 had three model code numbers and he needed to know which one was on the set.
I'm wondering why would they give a TV a model number but then have three different sub-sets of the same model? Do they make a model with the best components, another one with good components, and one with very average components?
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 05:25 PM

Costco...

My experiences with Costco have always been positive. I recently bought a portable a/u unit a nd fought to get it in the car, up the stairs etc. When I unpacked the box I found I was missing several key components. I called my local Costco (Peterborough) and spoke to the floor manager who told me to come in the next afternoon. (They offered to switch units but it weighs 100lb and barely fits in the back of my Yaris so I didn't really want to have to repeat the experience again.)

When we got to the store he opened a box for me and gave me the missing parts and walked me through the checkpoint so I wouldn't have to wait in the line. Great service.

I've also picked up a couple of APC UPS battery back-ups for really good prices.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 09:53 AM
Veteran

Roomba Irobot:

Comming up on the 2 year anniversary.. We have really expected alot from this little sucker. Set to run every morning during the school year for random run on carpet up stairs... We have not pulled a real vaccum up there in almost 2 years..

But the gear box failed a few days ago. For what ever reason only 3 of the 6 gears get brash bushing support and the other 3 gears shafts sit pressed into the gear box. Influtrated with dirt and other stuff caused one of the shafts to melt through the gear box...

Out of Roomba warranty 1year i take to the site and see they have a 50$ drop in replacement head. You get a new gear box and brush set... Called roomba just incase they would show the love.. they did not...

Then i recalled i got this from COSTCO! Oh how i love costco. Asked a rep at the store what could be done.. He said its under there 2 year warranty.. Return the thing and buy another! So with box and receipt in hand i returned it. Advised them the gear box was fried. 20 seconds later i was off to buy my replacement roomba..

Hope it breaks 22months from today!

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 01:07 PM
Veteran

It's very hard to fault Costco. We gave my parents a digital frame for Christmas last year. When we were out visiting this summer and they said it had stopped working. We took it to Costco, no box, no receipt, no problem. Bought a new one and went about our business.

I have worked retail and I wonder how the people who do the returns feel about their job? When someone came in obviously trying to scam me I'd send them packing but that was my choice, I was the manager. With Costco's extremely lenient returns program I wonder how many people abuse Costco's good nature? IE take a TV back at 23 months because they aren't happy with it? I'm not sure I could process that refund without first climbing over the service desk and teaching them a thing or 2 about being a human being.

Probably best I got out of retail...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.