Review: The Source - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 10 11.11%
Somewhat Satisfied 28 31.11%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 25 27.78%
Extremely Dissatisfied 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-05-19, 09:53 PM
Veteran

Of course, the unit wasn't in "saleable condition" when they sold it to him in the first place.....

Definitely sounds like a breach of consumer protection laws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-05-20, 06:42 AM

Ah! The Source. I went to The Source few weeks ago and it did not have much merchandise in it. I asked the sales associate if they are closing or moving, but he said no. I look at The Source as Radio Shack, but definitely Radio Shack it is NOT. They are overpriced and they have very low quality products which can be picked up at dollar plus stores for fraction of the price.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-05-20, 07:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The Source uses this clause to avoid providing exchanges or refunds on new products that are DOA right out of the box.
Perhaps if a local newspaper has a consumer advocate, they'd be interested in tacking this. Noise of this sort often gets a company's attention. Of course, with The Source being owned by Bell, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-05-31, 08:49 AM
Rookie

Clarion, that is just wrong. Wrong both in how our company policy works and customer service.

I am a Source Manager, though not in your area. You are entitled to getting a new replacement. It saddens me that improperly trained or dishonest employees are in the company.

Source locations should not be using the 'saleable condition' clause to avoid refunds on DOA items. That is not how our customer service department would intepret the clause. 1-866-384-3422 is out Customer service line.

Please feel free to PM me, and I will advise you as best I can to get the situation resolved.

Anyone else with questions on policies or specific situations can let me know as well, though I'm not sure if I should be hijacking thread. In the interest of not doing that, below is my review...

My personal take on the Source

We have moved the company in a direction that is away from what Consumers are used to looking at us for. Most of my customers still call us 'Radioshack'. We are now heavily persuing a 'Mobility' store design, where we become destination source for cellular sales.

I have seen a decline of nearly every other categories inventory, with an increase in online only items. Stores are slimming down their inventory to remain competitive and in business. I started at the Source straight out of highschool, and 6 years later I am still employed there as a Store Manager.

I do take pride in my work, and in the reputation of the company. It is frustrating when I hear stories of other stores using policys the wrong way. As everyone knows, 'Policys' are loose guidelines that bend to customer service.

The Source opens stores too fast and has a high rate of churn for employees, especially in larger cities. The experience in those locations can be worse, but can be amazing. As with most companys, the associates are key. Upper management, in the District and Regional manager level is amazing. I know many of them on a first name basis. Always escalate your situations to the DSM if you can, because thats the only way stores will learn.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-06-04, 05:48 PM

I am glad to see someone associated with the company chime in. It also could be that most (at least out here) are franchised stores and unfortunately, profit sometimes comes at the customers cost, as in service.
I went into a new Source store in the same small town as the old Source store. Two weeks after it opened, the old one closed. The new one is corporate, the old one was a franchise. I must say, the new one has alot more stuff. As for as quality..........
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 04:12 PM
Veteran

If you guys miss Radio Shack check out this archive site of old catalogs... it's way cool!

http://radioshackcatalog.com/
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-06-08, 07:56 PM

HDTV101 thank you so much for that link, way cool is right! going through it brought back alot of memories. Thanks again.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-06-25, 07:03 PM
Rookie

>"Clarion, that is just wrong. Wrong both in how our company policy works and customer service.

I am a Source Manager, though not in your area. You are entitled to getting a new replacement. It saddens me that improperly trained or dishonest employees are in the company.

Source locations should not be using the 'saleable condition' clause to avoid refunds on DOA items. That is not how our customer service department would intepret the clause. 1-866-384-3422 is out Customer service line."

Crover,

Radio Shack/Source has been total crap from inception!

And I foolishly thought that when it was taken over by BCE, that things would have changed! But, NO! Nothing has changed! :-(

IMO, the two worst retailers in the business are: The Source and 2001 Audio Video, who offer a similar customer relation policy; and a if a problem arises, their policy is:

You bought it!! It's yours! And if you have a problem, "Screw YOU!!

This is sort of an admission against self interest, because I have mega bucks invested in BCE; a rather attractive stock with annual yield always running at 5+%!!!

If they would merely acknowledge their investment in the Source, and remembering why it failed; and clean it up!! But that's not about to happen!! :-(

The corporate strategy of the Source is to continue as predator shysters of the industry, preying upon suckers who don't know any better. And that must represent a rather large market.

And for the more enlightened, they will always buy from Traditional big name entities who offer a no questions asked customer satisfaction guarantee!!

Why deal with inferior predators who offer anything less!?!?!
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 04:15 PM
Rookie

My Christmas time buying experience at The Source: My daughter wanted a clock radio that would shine the time on the ceiling of her bedroom. She said that she had looked and that they were hard to find so I was quite happy when I found one online at The Source. I ordered it and later saw the same one at our local Walmart for the same price but decided that rather than trying to cancel the order I would just wait. The online site showed when the item was shipped and that it would arrive in the Wetaskiwin Alberta retail outlet within the next 4 to 6 days at which point I was to receive a phone call. I waited for my phone call for about a week and a half and heard nothing. I then checked the website again and noticed that they had a "track your package" button. My order had been delivered to my local store four days ago. I printed off my receipt and the proof of delivery notice and went down to my local Source. Welcome to mass confusion central. The store was a mess and there were customers lined up waiting for service while some young kid behind the counter has decided that now would be a perfect time to train another employee on how to fill out some of the paperwork on a new cellphone account. He must have been in charge because when a fellow staff member asked him if they did gift receipts he was quick to answer that they didn't, they had old DOS computers. He then said that they sold excellent new technology but unfortunately didn't have any of their own. The potential customer just looked at him and walked out. When I finally got to the head of the line I explained to the girl at the counter that I wanted to pick up an order that had been sent there. Enter young kid in charge again who asked me if I had been phoned. No I haven't been I responded but here is the proof of delivery notice. He looked at the notice and agreed that it must be there as he had signed for it four days ago. With that statement he turned and walked away. Must have been break time. The girl finally found my package in a stack of boxes right behind the front counter and seemed puzzled when I asked her when they were going to get the "new technology" of a phone that phones customers as promised when a package comes in. I've been in this store a few times over the last few years and always leave vowing never to return. They had what I wanted online, the ordering procedure was easy and they delivered to the store on time as promised but I'll only remember that the pickup experience was a joke.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 2013-01-10, 08:45 AM

Location: OTtAwa (Byward Market); Sony Bravia KDL46SL140; Mini State HDMS9100
I've had similar experiences with the Source. They have never called me to say my order had come in. I've always had to call them or go to the store in person. Now I don't even wait for their call. I track it after I have placed the order and go in when it says the item has arrived.

I keep going back to them because of their return policy.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 2013-01-16, 02:21 AM

I went into The Source today to pick up a few diodes. The music almost drove me out of the store but I soldiered on.

Saw some memory cards on sale but they were on these fancy security hooks so I couldn't actually pick one up off the shelf. Took the purchase to the counter and the clerk was busy putting some papers away. Didn't acknowledge me, didn't say "one moment please", just ignored me. (I've been in customer service long enough to know that you should always acknowledge the customer even if you're busy).

Anyway, he finally ran the purchase through, still without saying hello or anything. Didn't say please - it was almost like I wasn't actually there. No thank you, no nothing.

It was a fancy new store in a mall under renovation, but the clerk couldn't be bothered to say "hello". Too bad, I might have asked him for one of those memory cards.
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 2013-04-10, 05:36 PM
Rookie

Oddly I shop at the one near me a fair bit. The prices aren't always the best and yes some of the stuff is cheap and poorly made (NeXXtech sp?) but to be fair the staff has always been courteous and helpful. I've never had a problem returning anything and they are still one of the few places with a 30 day return policy on most stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.