Review: The Source - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 10 11.11%
Somewhat Satisfied 28 31.11%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 25 27.78%
Extremely Dissatisfied 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 05:02 PM
Rookie

the source lost my computer too... i made them give me a new one though as they have no idea where mine might be and they lost it 5 weeks ago. i couldnt not believe the way they treated me and my property. i was not impressed with them at all. i do have to say that they gave me a nice computer and all the updated software that i lost but it took me standing in the store for 2 hours refusing to leave until i had my computer in my hands or a computer in my hands and talking to the people in charge in ontario (im in calgary).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 01:55 AM
Rookie

Computer purchasing end up as breach of contract

I phoned The Source on line sales in Vancouver bc and was affirmed twice that the computer I am interested in will be eligible for Windows 7 free copy.
I went ahead ordered additional RAM,after I had purchased the computer from The Source on line sales. Computer came in very good condition but when I entered Serial number on Acer web site it stated to me acording to serial number computer was out of warranty and not eligible to Windows 7. I emailed to the Source and been affirmed to go to WWW. microsoft. com to order the copy as I had Vista installed, who advised me to call Acer after spending Three hours on the phone. I called Acer customer service who denied me the copy of Windows 7 and suggested to call salesperson. I called to customer service of The Source talked to salesman who transfered me to Greg who assured me that system is eligible and call Microsoft, then Acer.
I left a phone message with Greg and found no respond. I send Emails to The Source customer service with no respond. I had find customer service is unaceptable. I spend many hours transfering and dowloading updates and installing programs. Sales also mentioned one year warranty on the product.
So far I am confused what is happening with the customer service. All I wanted was computer with Windows 7. Did you had problems with The Source on line purchase and let down. I hope The Source is going to correct their mistake and look after the customer who supported them up to the latest sale.
Please advice.
Thank you so much.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 08:42 AM
Veteran

Based on this thread and similar ones like it online, your best bet is to go to your local o&o source store, setup camp and refuse to leave until they give you a copy.

CM4228, CM4220HD, Samsung LNT3242H, AccessHD DTA1080D, RCA DTA800, CM7775, Samsung DTB-H260F, Samsung LN40B750

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 07:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. It is something to consider.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 03:01 AM

Local store experience may vary as mentioned. I found when I purchased online deals and in-store pickup I was looked on as a parasite. They weren't sure the goods were in the store and "finally" found it.
They had a special for a laptop cooler $14. Went to the store and they said the cable normally in the compartment was missing so they couln't sell it to me. Guy went to the back took his time and came out and opened the compartment of the cooler in his hands and says see!. Then promptly tells me the one for $29.99 is available. Do I want that one? 14 vs 29.99, let's see!
I'm pretty sure the cable was back in the compartment when the cooler went back to regular price.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-12-15, 07:00 AM
Rookie

we all make mistakes

By supporting the store The Source we made a mistake. But good point we learn on our mistakes and hope that lots of their customers will understand that everybody can sell, but customer deserve respect and expect service or he doesnot come back. That is a bad advertising for The Source. Some day they will appritiate.
Thank you
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 06:25 AM

BTW the same laptop coolers mentioned above that were $14 but missing a cable, I was able to purchase 2 in Spokane Washington for 9.99 each including cables. at Radio Shack.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 03:26 PM

The Source is good for obscure parts and batteries and clearance items. I was at the Overlea store to buy the Scene It game for 360 I had seen online at The Source (clearance for $15), great deal as it also came with 4 mini controllers. The sales guy found it and looked it up on the computer for the price and was clearly shocked at the low price. Then he looked at me and asked how much did I see it for, I said "what". He asked again how much did I see it for, I said $15, and he reluctantly rung it up like he didn't want to sell it to me for that price, WTF?
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 11:03 AM

Location: OTtAwa (Byward Market); Sony Bravia KDL46SL140; Mini State HDMS9100
Many happy returns

In my quest for the best tv antenna for my situation, over the past number of months, I have purchased and tried different antennas and amplifiers from the Source. Whenever I had to return a product because it wasn't right for me, they never had any problems taking it back for full credit as long as it was still in the original packaging and I produced the receipt. I finally decided on the mini state antenna which I am happy with.

Other suppliers of OTA equipment in my area would not allow returns, so I stayed away from them during my testing period.

Last edited by rmchahn; 2010-10-27 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-12-29, 11:58 PM
Rookie

Will Never Shop at the Source Again

I purchased an Acer netbook for a Christmas present for my daughter in December 2011 from The Source in Mission Park Mall in Kelowna BC. The netbook was the last one in the store and was in a display case. Against my better judgement, I bought it (I usually only buy electronic gear if it is sealed in its packaging). The salesman put it back in the box, but didn't turn it on to show me that it worked properly. On Christmas morning, my daughter turned on her new netbook only to discover that the screen was cracked in several places. When I took it back to the store, the manager refused to give me a refund or replacement. He implied that we broke it ourselves and said that it would have to be sent out for repair and that if the repair depot deemed the damage to be "user caused," we would have to pay for any repairs.

I've contacted BC Consumer Protection and they told me that we are covered under the Sale of Goods Act. I made a Boxing Day sale at Future Shop and asked the salesman what would happen if I opened the box at home and the item I bought was damaged. He said "things happen in manufacturing, shipping, or storage. If it's broken, just bring it back and we'll replace it or give you a refund."

With retailers like Future Shop and Best Buy, who truly seem to believe that the customer is always right, The Source is digging a big hole for themselves if they treat their customers like they have treated me. I sent an e-mail to their customer support and got no reply. I phoned their customer support and the person I talked to told me that he would contact the regional manager and he would call me. He never did.

I've always like shopping at The Source because the stores are small and you get personal service. However, after this experience, I will never shop at The Source again. Future Shop and Best Buy will get all my business from now on.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-12-31, 11:43 AM
Rookie

The Source Came Through for Us

Just a quick update to my previous post - The Source did come through. The District Manager's office arranged for me to exchange my damaged netbook for a new one at a different store. Kudos to The Source for taking a giant leap to restore my confidence in them.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 2011-12-31, 12:48 PM

Thanks for posting a follow-up. Many times we never know if disputes are resolved. Caveat emptor.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-05-19, 05:14 PM
Rookie

Angry No refunds or exchanges even on defective products!!

When The Source publishes their Return Policy, pay very close attention to the following condition:

"Returned product must be accompanied by an original sales receipt and in saleable condition."

The Source uses this clause to avoid providing exchanges or refunds on new products that are DOA right out of the box.

My son bought a defective DVD player which was dead, right out of the box, so he immediately took it back to the store for an exchange. The store denied him either an exchange or refund. When my son told them, "I just bought this DVD player two hours ago; and it as dead from the outset!!"

The Source accepted the fact that the player was dead from inception; and that was the reason they gave for refusing a refund: "Their clearly stated policy is that a returned product must be in in saleable condition; and obviously, if the player doesn't work, then it is not in saleable condition!"

The best he could get was a offer to send it out for repair, which would take 4 to 6 weeks.

NEVER AGAIN! There are just too many superior options out there, with better prices and a "no-questions asked" return policy.

Last edited by Clarion; 2012-05-19 at 05:25 PM. Reason: syntax
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-05-19, 05:26 PM
Veteran

^^^^
That return policy might be in violation of consumer protection laws as items sold are supposed to be fit for intended service.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 2012-05-19, 08:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
^^^^
That return policy might be in violation of consumer protection laws as items sold are supposed to be fit for intended service.
+1
Was gonna say...that doesn't sound legal.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.