Review: Tiger Direct - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 69 38.12%
Somewhat Satisfied 56 30.94%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 28 15.47%
Extremely Dissatisfied 28 15.47%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-12-14, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review: Tiger Direct

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience with TigerDirect.

This is NOT a discussion thread so please limit yourself to one post which includes your review.

We welcome the input and opinions of all members whether they are good or bad, however, please note that this thread is NOT for rants. Whether you had a good or bad experience with this vendor we want to hear about it but in an OBJECTIVE manner.

If you post a rant or childish comments like, these guys "suck" or they're all a "bunch of idiots", then your comments will be considered trolling and your post will be deleted.

When you post, please try to include the following information:
  • What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.

Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!

Last edited by hugh; 2007-01-22 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-12-21, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Tigerdirect has been a good addition on the scene in Toronto. I can only speak for the bricks and mortar store since I've never shopped online.

You have to be careful because sometimes their prices are not the best, however, I find on many occassions their prices are excellent.

the Etobicoke store is clean and wellstocked and I've always got to the cash with little line-up.

When I had to return an item once, they were very polite and gave me no problems.

Overall, I'm very satsified with TigerDirect.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-12-21, 08:01 PM

I've purchased many products over the past few years, from an external hard drive (Seagate 160gb) to cables to refurb digital cameras for my kids. I've always been very satisfied with product and service. They do ship with UPS, though, and UPS is VERY slow to my area (rural BC). Shipping is usually quite expensive, $20+, so I usually wait until I can combine items. Our area didn't qualify for the $4.95 "all you can ship" deal they featured the past couple of months.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-12-22, 02:59 PM
Veteran

I have only purchased one item for TigerDirect to date (video capture device), and even though I returned it (decided I did not want the product), my experience with them was top notch. No issues with the return.

As with any "retailer" you need to compare prices and take into account the shipping costs when ordering from the web site.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 2006-12-22, 10:32 PM

Purchased 1 item on-line from them, shipping was very quick and web site and ordering system is top notch. Would not hesitate to buy from them again.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-01, 04:20 PM

Tiger Direct is great for all consumers. Whether you purchase online or in their store or done what I have a couple times which, is go to BB and they have price matched or beaten their price.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-01, 09:38 PM

Other retailers are excluding Tiger Direct from pricematching

I was in the Sudbury FS New Year's Eve and overheard a head salesman stating that they would honour their pricematching with anyone EXCEPT Tiger Direct. This may be due to TD selling OEM units instead of regular retail.

I recently bought a replacement Motorola bluetooth headset from Tiger direct--same make/model as 1st time--but this unit was an OEM from Verizon, while my 1st one was a retail boxed Motorola. (As a result, I was unable to use a rebate from Motorola who only honour Motorola Canada imported units.)

I've ordered 4 times from TD, but the 4th time my order was delayed as I hadn't ordered in several months and TD insisted I call them to confirm the order. I was on hold over an hour--counting the several times I attempted the call in order to confirm my order. Have never had this issue come up with other online retailers whose sites appear ready to honour a properly authorized cc order.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 05:45 PM

This is my first time making a purchase from tigerdirect. They had a 2 for 1 deal on the Ultra 10-Outlet Tower Surge Protector, so I ordered the two pack deal. I placed the order on the 29th of December and I got it on the 8th of January, so it was soon enough for me. The shipping box was adequate and both units work fine. Canada Post is cheaper, so I wish they had used them instead of UPS, but the 2 for 1 deal really made it worth while.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-20, 08:45 AM

Ordered some cables online recently. They were shipped the next day and I was easily able to track my order. Using UPS Ground was very slow, IMHO. The package took 11 days to get to St. John's. I think it would have been quicker and more ecomonical if they had used Canada Post. I was considering buying an UPS from them as their online price was excellent. However, the cost of shipping put the bottom line the same as a local retailer so I went that route instead.

I used them when I lived in Ontario and the shipping was cheap and very fast indeed. Perhaps they should investigate alternatives for shipping to the outer reaches of the country.

Their web site is very well laid out and ordering online is quick & easy!

RH
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-20, 02:59 PM
Veteran

I have made many purchases from Tiger direct ca and com and they are both fantastic. Their prices are great, their products are great, the order/check out system is simple to use, and the shipping is fantastically fast.

I have ordered cables (Component, optical audio, HDMI), memory cards for two cameras, RAM for my computer, and recently a new power cord for my SAMSUNG DLP which have all been exactly what they were claimed to be and lived up to the expectations I had for those products.

Great company, no worry internet shopping, 10/10 from me.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-27, 09:15 PM

Tiger direct -

Have ordered from TD a half dozen times, camera batteries, PC memory, peripherals etc...experience was just Ok...but no euphoria...really hate the TD tactic of lure (quote a price) with the catch of a mfg. rebate...if submitting a rebate request and several weeks to honouring...with many rebates never received or cancelled. for whatever reason weeks later...

Naw, TD is not for me....the price quoted is what i like to pay....forget the mail in rebate idea...just not worth the trouble and poor return ratio, I have experienced with this vendor.

the only good rebate experience i have experienced is staples...easy and convenient over the web with no need to submit anything via post

Lots and lots of toys!
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-01-27, 10:30 PM
rpr

I live close to two TD stores, so I don't order online, but the in-store selection isn't as good as online. I've been mostly pleased with the service, once I realized the rebates were as much a scam as anything else. I got about half of the ones I submitted. Now I either make sure that the item doesn't have a rebate, or just don't bother applying, if the price is good enough. The stores also have clearance areas, so you can sometimes get some good deals there. I picked up a dual-core P4 2.8 CPU for $120. I also had to return a motherboard once, and they didn't charge me the restocking fee, which was nice.

Overall, I would go there before anywhere else, for most stuff.

Tom

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-01-28 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-02-21, 11:58 AM

Satisfied

Ordered an A/V switch from them and received the next day. I am in Toronto.
No problems at any point of the ordering process. Would definitely
buy from them again.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-03-16, 12:13 PM

Good Prices - Expensive Delivery

I like TigerDirect's prices but I too am sick of the mail in rebates. What I don't like is their use of UPS for delivery as I'm never home during the day. I also think their shipping charges are excessive. I would be happy with a lower shipping cost and Priority Post
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 2007-03-16, 12:54 PM

I've had overall good experience with them. At first I thought that they were somewhat expensive (at times) but one has to remember that their Canadian prices include taxes/duty etc gathered at the border.
Their Customer Service isn't too hot. It takes an age to get through and often they cut you off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.