Review: Futureshop - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 66 17.32%
Somewhat Satisfied 137 35.96%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 97 25.46%
Extremely Dissatisfied 81 21.26%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 97 (permalink) Old 2007-05-05, 03:10 PM

We got a $300 compaq refurb at future shop and boxing day and we have had no problems with it.
Overall we are really happy with FS. Nice clean store, good employees (little pushy sometimes). Good expiriences returning stuff and getting the (30 price guarrentee, we were even 2 days late and they still gave us like $10 back) Overall good store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 97 (permalink) Old 2007-05-05, 03:47 PM
Cap

I think FS is great, when shopping for plasma tv's 2005 and 2007 I bought a couple to try out in my family room...Than returned some no questions asked...
Once I had an xmradio that broke 8 months after purchase, I could not find a receipt for it...BUT after contacting customer service i received a full in store credit.

Great retailer in my opinion.

50PX75U, (rogers') 8300HDPVR, 42PD50, Macbook Pro
Imac 3.2ghz, Apple TV2, Iphone4, Time Capsule, VOIP Line,
post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 2007-05-10, 11:01 AM

Lets start with the bad:
- Made online "pick up in store" purchase, received email that the item was ready to pick up, got there only to find out they were out of stock
- Online showed item in stock, phones store to double check and was told "if it says we have it online, then we have it" got to the store, and they did indeed have it...in a box in the back room. Was unable to purchase.
- The Northland Village location in Calgary has the most uninformed, rude, lazy, pushy, obnoxious, and just plain stupid (see below) employees I have ever come across. I have had more run ins with employees at this location than anywhere else, ever.
- When I ask if the store has any Wii controllers in stock, the answer should be yes or no, not "what's a Wii???"
- Employees lying about a product just to make a sale. Don't even bother asking about HDMI pass thru on a receiver. 3/4 of the recievers I was told has this functionality in fact did not. (a Google search provides better information than the employees)
- New employees are thrown on the tills with little (if any training) so when something goes wrong...you have to wait, and wait, and wait for them to figure out what they've done wrong or for someone to fix the problem (it shouldnt take 15 minutes to change receipt tape)
- Why are there 5 people standing around at Customer Service doing nothing with only 1 person helping customers and a lineup of 15 people?
- FS is unbelievably disorganized. And what's with all the unpriced items on the shelves?

Good:
- Prices (sometimes...)

I would rather go out of my way to find a product at a competitor than give FS any more of my business. They used to be my first stop however the service over the past few years has gone straight down the toilet. Not impressed.

Sharp LC-52D64U, Yamaha HTR-6160, XBOX 360 w/ HD DVD, PS3, Wii

Last edited by jaazzman; 2007-05-10 at 11:05 AM. Reason: More bad to add

post #19 of 97 (permalink) Old 2007-05-10, 01:54 PM
jem

I've never had a problem returning any items to either FS or BB. I will note, however, that the amount of effort that goes into a return (length of the line, the amount of paper that is generated to do the return, etc) is staggering at both stores. I would also say it's relatively useless to require almost every return to be authorized by a supervisor (except for maybe unopened DVD's or CD's), and then rarely have a supervisor near the returns desk. I can't tell you how many times I've leaned on the desk, listening to the PA ask for a supervisor (or someone from TV's, someone from Computers, etc) to come to the returns desk. I couldn't help but notice that it is now Returns Desk, not Customer Service Desk, so maybe I've answered my own question.
post #20 of 97 (permalink) Old 2007-06-26, 03:34 PM

Customer Service - Not So Good

I frequent the Heartland FS. It amazes me everytime I go in there how the sales people always outnumber the customers.

Anyways, here are my bad experiences:

1. A few years ago, bought a Nokia cell phone and accessories for ClearNet service. Returned it a couple of weeks later. The return desk called some doofus over to inspect my return. I didn't have the plastic packaging for the accessories because you pretty much had to destroy it in order to open it. He picks a random number out of his head on what to charge for the lack of packaging. I was fuming and vowed never to enter the store again. That didn't last long.

2. I was in the return line to return a laptop. I was asked by two sales guys (seperately, the second one repeating the first one about 10 minutes after the first one left) while I was in the line about my situation. They both asked me to show them my receipt. I did so, thinking maybe they are managers looking to expedite my return. They both tell me to stay in the line and the lady at the desk will help me. I asked the lady what the deal is with the sales guys asking me about my return. Never did get an answer. It hasn't happened again, but if I'm ever in the return line and some sales guy asks me about my return, I'll inform him that unless he can process my return, he should shut his piehole and walk back to whatever section of the store he came from.

3. I purchased a plasma tv from them less than a year ago. I knew there were price cuts coming for that model, so I went in to the store to get a price match on a couple of occassions. THe first went fine, no problem. THe second was a manufacturers price drop. I was told by the salesman who sold me the tv that they would refund any price drop. He even wrote it on my receipt. So when the price dropped, I went to see him. He was very rude to me and told me "ok, you are not serious about this tv. Go to the returns section and return it". I didn't hesitiate one second, I turned around and returned the tv. The returns lady called the manager over and he was practically begging me to keep the tv. Even the ******* salesman came over to apologize. I wound up re-purchasing the tv through the manager rather than the salesguy. He lost his commission on that one. I had even bought the product service plan originally, and he lost that commission as well.

The only good thing is that they will beat or match prices, will give you 30 price protection, and also allow returns. Actually, the 30 day return is a big point in their favour. And with the plasma purchase, they can negotiate extended price protection.
post #21 of 97 (permalink) Old 2007-09-12, 09:29 AM

I ad a somewhat bad experience yesterday. I was going to buy a KDL46V3000 TV, and the rep told me over the phone that he would match the price I had been quoted at 2 other local stores. I went in, and when I was going to pay, they told me that the $50 delivery fee was applicable to all big screen TVs regardless of whether they deliver the TV or pickup the set. My contention is that they should have told me this over the phone as the other quotes I had gotten were inclusive of delivery.

Regardless, this was just an honest mistake made by the sales rep. He was a nice guy, so I didn't want to be too much of a jerk to him or his boss. I just left and will buy it from another place.

Aside from that, I've had good experiences with FS in the past with various purchases.

Family room: KDL46V3000, DC551, AVR-988, VS Ultra, PS3, Wii, PSB Image 7PT/8C, Energy S10.3
post #22 of 97 (permalink) Old 2007-12-14, 03:00 AM
Rookie

Location: Toronto, Rogers Cable, Pace 551, Samsung LN-T4661F LCD, Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
WTF

O.K.

3rd Samsung LN-T4661F in 1 1/2 months from Future Shop... and this one has to go back! The first two were defective, & the third one has obviously been opened & used.

Satisfaction in exchanging the set = GOOD
Satisfaction in the law of diminishing returns = BAD
post #23 of 97 (permalink) Old 2007-12-26, 08:15 AM

I haven't had any problems with Future Shop. In-store service was always great and online shopping was easy.
post #24 of 97 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 03:02 PM

Future Shop Online

My most recent Future Shop Online experience was Poor.

Ignoring access issues, when their site started to work again for their Boxing Day sale on Dec 24, I was able to order the "Door Crasher" Polk RM10FS speakers for $349 without any problems. Checkout went smoothly and I received confirmation emails verifying the purchase.

However, the next evening I received an email stating that the purchase had been rejected. In November, I had purchased a 52" Sony 52W3000 w/Blu-ray player from FS Online and there were no problems. There was one extra step of confirming the credit card purchase again online, but after that was done, everything went through smoothly. In this particular situation, the purchase was flat out rejected.

I called my credit card company to check with them and they said that Future Shop never made any attempt to use my credit card.

FS did say they would continue to try for the next 7 days. After that it would be canceled. This was unacceptable to me because this item was a "Door Crasher" and I did not want to risk not getting the item at all because FS was having a problem with their credit card authorization system.

I didn't want to take the risk, so the next morning I showed up in person at the store and picked up the speakers myself and canceled my online order. I do have to say that the salespeople who helped me in the store were very helpful and friendly despite the Boxing Day madness.
post #25 of 97 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 03:23 PM

Future Shop Price Protection

My most recent Future Shop Price Protection experience has been Excellent.

In early December I bought a 52" Sony 52W3000 w/Sony BDP-S3000 package online for $2699. I couple of weeks later I also bought a Shaw HD PVR (Motorola 3416) in-store for $647. I also made several purchases of Blu-ray movies (including one Buy 1/Get 1 free offer).

About 1 week before Christmas, FS had another Friends and Family sale that offered 10% off TVs, cable boxes, and DVDs (among other things).

The day before the sale, I went into the store to check prices and saw that everything that I had bought was still selling for the same sale price that I received (except the TV no longer included the Blu-ray player). I confirmed with a sales person about price protection during the sale the next day and he said he would do everything that he could to help me if he could. I also bought another BD movie and asked if I could get price protection if I came back the next day. The cashier said yes.

The next day after the sale started, I went directly to customer service with all my receipts and asked if I could get price protection for all my purchases. I was a little worried because the flyer for the sale specifically stated that "Prices do not apply to prior purchases."

The person said yes and started to process everything.

I ended up receiving a total refund of about $345 +taxes ($270 TV/Blu-ray + $65 HD PVR + $10 BD movies).

Everyone I dealt with was very polite and helpful and I walked out of the store with a huge grin on my face .
post #26 of 97 (permalink) Old 2008-01-01, 07:33 PM

I used to hate FS but lately it has seemed a fair bit better. I have had several occasions where salespeople had flat out lied to me about this or that product - or at least spoken as authorities when they clearly had no clue (for example, when asking if any of their portable dvd players had divx playback, I was informed that this didn't exist, and if it did it would be really expensive - they do, of course, exist, they aren't that expensive, and I hadn't asked about the price).

I was talking to my dad's wife yesterday and her son's LCD TV has gone dead after 2 years, and she said "that's how long they last". I told her this wasn't true, and she said oh no, it is, LCDs burn out after a few years. Apparently her son had called Futureshop and that was the response - LCD TVs need a new bulb every couple of years. They took that as fact (as I'm sure it was presented).

The returns policy can be a real nice feature though. At my local shop in Peterborough they are usually very good about returns. Recently I bought a TV and DVD player for about $800 and a few days later they had their Friends and Family 10% off everything sale. I went in and found that the sale had ended the day before, but they still refunded me $95 with no hassle whatsoever. I thought that was pretty good. The whole exchange took no more than 10 minutes. On Boxing Day staff were friendly and helpful despite the mad doorcrasher crush, and I got the Energy speakers for $200 which was a pretty good deal imo.

Basically I think FS is a nice store to have around if you know what you are doing. If you are like the lady I overheard the other day say to the salesman "my daughter says I need to get one of these blue rays and a TV" while browsing some $5000 TVs you are probably in to get a bit ripped off. If you want some information on a product, you are probably in trouble. But if you want to go in, get a product, and get out quickly with the option to return and some price protection, it's a good store for that.
post #27 of 97 (permalink) Old 2008-04-23, 12:34 PM

Completely Satisfied with Future Shop

I spend an average of about $2000 a year at FS. I so rarely shop any where else, I may not be well qualified to compare them to any other retailer ... but ...

I do recall standing in front of a bank of $4000+ HDTVs in BestBuy a while ago. For at least five minutes, two employees chatted away to each other while watching me look around. I thought to myself that this would never happen at FS. As I left the store, I still expected have someone offer service but I was completely ignored. Give me a commissioned salesperson anytime!

Recently, I bought an LCD HDTV and a good quality camera. In both cases, I was given excellent advice and very good prices. The camera salesperson suggested several additional items and, once I started to use the camera, I was very glad he did.

The FS store I normally use is the Empress Walk location in Willowdale ON.
post #28 of 97 (permalink) Old 2008-04-23, 01:02 PM

My many experiences with Futureshop have been mixed.

GOOD: Price matching there is easy and quick. Ive never had a problem with that. Their prices are occasionally very good, although obviously not all the time on everythig.

BAD: -Extremely pushy when it comes to extended warranties. There have been atleast 3 occasions where Ive had to repeat over and over that I was NOT interested. One guy actually looked quite angry when I refused the PSP.
- Sales people with little to no knowledge of the products they're selling
- Ordered my sister a computer once, and the order was delayed several days for no reason.

Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony Playstation 1/2/3 (60gig) and PSP, Sony STR-DG910, Pioneer/Sony 7.1, 39 PS3 Games, 120 BR movies
post #29 of 97 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 08:54 PM

Good experience at FS

Future shop price matched Costco.ca without even looking th item up for me today. I bought a camera and XD card last week,the card was 51.99.I checked Costco yesterday and the same card was 36.99.The girl didn't even look up the price, she just asked how much and refunded me the difference.
I have to say for the most part, I am pretty happy with my dealings with FS!
post #30 of 97 (permalink) Old 2008-05-24, 01:43 AM

Location: Burnaby,BC--Sharp LC-37D43U,Pioneer 1018AH,PS3,Toshiba HD-A2,Celestion AVP-301,Jamo SW-1008,DCT3416
Thumbs up

Personally I think places like FS aren't bad places to shop at all as long as you know your stuff and your pricing. It's usually people who don't know their stuff or don't do their research that get taken. Also, I've never had any problems returning product to FS, a liberal return policy is very important to me.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U,Pioneer VSX-1018AH,Sony BDP-S350,Toshiba HD-A3,Energy RC Mini Speakers,Klipsch Sub-10,H880,DCT3416

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.