iTunes help - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

iTunes help

The kids both got iPods for Christmas, and I am the one in charge of using iTunes to get them started. I've managed to sneak on a playlist of my own but when I go to 'sync' them time after time there is an exclamation mark to the left of some songs and I am asked to find the source file again.

Is there a way to lock this playlist to eliminate problem? I need a quick tutorial because it is a real pain.

Thanks in advance, B32.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 05:43 PM

I'm not exactly sure what's going on but it sounds like you're using iTunes on Windows and your music is somewhere that the kids either delete it or move it. Try going into the iTunes preferences and under Advanced check off "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library". Click okay, then click the Advanced menu and select Consolidate Library. This should move all the music that is scattered across your hard drive(s) into one folder for you lessening the chance of the kids or anyone else deleting or moving the files on you.

Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

I guess I should have put in the obvious. I am using Windows, but I have managed to get all music files over to iTunes and put them into individual playlists to sync to their iPods. In some cases when I go to sync individual playlists, some songs can't be found, and you are prompted to find them again.

How do I get iTunes to keep the songs in the playlists?

Thanks again!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 06:48 PM

I don't think the problem is iTunes. The reference to the song in iTunes is really a pointer to a file on the hard drive. Somebody is moving those files on you (I think), so when iTunes goes to sync it can't find the original file (and asks you to find it). The tips I offered before would consolidate the music if it isn't already and should help to make sure that no one moves the files.

However, I should ask, are the files in the original location when you have to find them again or have they moved?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

I am working on it right now with the consolidation of the library. I've got my fingers crossed.

Thanks stan!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-08, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanroper
...Try going into the iTunes preferences and under Advanced check off "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library". Click okay, then click the Advanced menu and select Consolidate Library. This should move all the music that is scattered across your hard drive(s) into one folder for you lessening the chance of the kids or anyone else deleting or moving the files on you.
BUT, the kids might have a good reason to organize the music they way they do in windows folders (I know I do)... If they do too, ask them where you should be putting your music and all will be fine...

When I download/rip music I organize everything in folders, then use "Itunes Library Updater" to both remove files that no longer can be found, and add those files that are not in the libray yet...

Also, does your way make a copy of the files? If so thats wasting alot of harddrive space!! I would only do that if its making a copy on a different HD for backup reasons..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-01-11, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

I've cosolidated my library, the odd time it will still ask me to locate an individual song. So when I copy files over to iTunes, I am making a second copy of this file chewing up drive space? Sounds like I am going to have to do a purge of my mp3's. Should I keep at least one copy in 'My Music' folder as well as iTunes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.