Daddy's First Home Mac Server - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 2018-01-18, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
air

Daddy's First Home Mac Server

Input greatly appreciated on this all. Thanks for reading, if you do.

So, I need a home server solution for file storage for work as well for media. I want to be able to work anywhere in the house and connect wirelessly to my photo library and my work drives. The computer will be an old Mac Mini. We used this as our server at my work, well, right now, but a brand new, top of the line Mac Mini is arriving in the next week or two. I'm guessing I need some kind of hub for the Ethernet outs. I also have to consider some kind of storage for it that will allow for airflow but will quiet as much computer and drive noise as possible.

What I’m thinking about doing is installing the modem in the basement and putting two hard wires out to the main and second floor connected to wifi boosters/Ethernet hubs. I want the server to run Plex (likely) and feeding audio out to a series of Sonos (or other wifi) speakers. Gonna have a sweet 80s setup of bookshelf speakers, turntable and Kenwood receiver/amplifier in the main floor living room for general music appreciation. If this can somehow stream to the Sonos setup, whee, fun! I found a Yamaha wifi amplifier that may do the trick. Videowise, we’ll have three TVs, one on each floor with Apple TVs plus 6 iOS devices.

In list form:
WHAT I HAVE:
Mac Mini
2 Apple TVs
3TB Thunderbolt Drive (currently used for media and Time Machine backups. I figure the TM partition can remain as is)
1TB FW drive

WHAT I WANT TO DO:
1. stream audio and video to any device and screen (likely via Plex)
2. connect wirelessly to my work drive
3. connect via Ethernet to my work drive
4. have hardwire connections on main and second floor via wifi boosters
4a. connect Apple TVs to media server via Ethernet
5. audio to wifi speakers
6. audio from turntable in living room - nice to have would be to stream from turntable to wifi speakers

DEVICES
1. basement TV for video and gaming - HAVE
2. main floor living room stereo with bookshelf speakers - HAVE
3. 2 TVs on second floor connected to Apple TVs - NEED
4. 2-4 wifi speakers - NEED
5. 2 wifi boosters/Ethernet hubs for main and second floor - NEED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.