Daddy's First Home Mac Server
Input greatly appreciated on this all. Thanks for reading, if you do.
So, I need a home server solution for file storage for work as well for media. I want to be able to work anywhere in the house and connect wirelessly to my photo library and my work drives. The computer will be an old Mac Mini. We used this as our server at my work, well, right now, but a brand new, top of the line Mac Mini is arriving in the next week or two. I'm guessing I need some kind of hub for the Ethernet outs. I also have to consider some kind of storage for it that will allow for airflow but will quiet as much computer and drive noise as possible.
What I’m thinking about doing is installing the modem in the basement and putting two hard wires out to the main and second floor connected to wifi boosters/Ethernet hubs. I want the server to run Plex (likely) and feeding audio out to a series of Sonos (or other wifi) speakers. Gonna have a sweet 80s setup of bookshelf speakers, turntable and Kenwood receiver/amplifier in the main floor living room for general music appreciation. If this can somehow stream to the Sonos setup, whee, fun! I found a Yamaha wifi amplifier that may do the trick. Videowise, we’ll have three TVs, one on each floor with Apple TVs plus 6 iOS devices.
In list form:
WHAT I HAVE:
2 Apple TVs
3TB Thunderbolt Drive (currently used for media and Time Machine backups. I figure the TM partition can remain as is)
1TB FW drive
WHAT I WANT TO DO:
1. stream audio and video to any device and screen (likely via Plex)
2. connect wirelessly to my work drive
3. connect via Ethernet to my work drive
4. have hardwire connections on main and second floor via wifi boosters
4a. connect Apple TVs to media server via Ethernet
5. audio to wifi speakers
6. audio from turntable in living room - nice to have would be to stream from turntable to wifi speakers
1. basement TV for video and gaming - HAVE
2. main floor living room stereo with bookshelf speakers - HAVE
3. 2 TVs on second floor connected to Apple TVs - NEED
4. 2-4 wifi speakers - NEED
5. 2 wifi boosters/Ethernet hubs for main and second floor - NEED