Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Apple TV problems - sharing - consistency

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  gdkitty 
#1 ·
This particular Apple TV box is a 4.

When this works it's just great. BUT how many times has it not been able/capable of playing nice?

The 'turn Home Sharing on" dialogue is an albatross for me.

I've restarted ATV box, reset box, done an A/C power cycle on the box and have sworn at the box [this is the most fun!]

I've checked 'my sharing prefs' powered off my computer, powered on my computer, done a restart of my computer, done a power cycle, too.

This time nothing works!

An aside: I'm an Apple fan-boy and have been since 1990 but iTunes and Apple TV have just about done my head in.

#2 ·
You probably have done this, but just in case.... You have home sharing turned on in the settings on the Apple TV, as well as the computer, right? The computer and the Apple TV are on the same network? (In my case, I have a Telus network and a separate router network.) That’s all that I can think of at the moment. It does work for me.

Sometimes the discussion area of Apple support helps me. Hope you get it solved. I sure enjoy Airplay and using a ATV App to play media on my server.

#4 ·
You can call me Mesh, but I might not be so mellow :)

Sorry you had no success. I just tried mine and it's okay. On the computer, I'm on Sierra and iTunes 12.7.1. On the ATV 4, I'm on the latest TVOS 11.2 beta.

If I come up with any other ideas, I'll let you know. I mainly do screen mirroring from my iPad and iPhone, which has been very easy and pretty problem-free. It's been awhile since I bothered with using home sharing to pull stuff off my mid 2012 MacBook Pro. However, I just tried it, without rebooting or any fiddling, and it worked right away. (All I did do, was check in iTunes that I had home sharing turned on.)

Scraping my memory, I have a vague recollection that I did have similar trouble like you are experiencing some time back. Seems to me I turned off sharing and reentered my Apple ID and password. Think I did the same on the Apple TV. That may have been what got it working, but I think you've done all that.

I do remember spending some time in the Apple Support discussions reading what other people had tried. Good luck!

#9 ·
MalusMalum Dec 1, 2015 8:51 AM in response to MalusMalum Level 1 Level 1 (0 points) expertise.iphoneiPhone
Dec 1, 2015 8:51 AM in response to MalusMalum
If anyone is interested, I did find a solution to this.

I had checked iTunes preferences, under sharing it showed that sharing was on and no users connected. As I stated above, the problem continued.

I decided to double check that home sharing was actually on by going to File/Home Sharing. Here it showed that Home Sharing was actually OFF, despite iTunes showing that it was ON under preferences. I turned Home Sharing on and now everything is fine.

So, do not rely on the Preferences tab to make sure your Home Sharing is on. Double check under File/Home Sharing.

And by the way, I never turned Home Sharing off. Hope this helps somebody.

#10 ·
An update may have changed something.

Thats one thing i have found recently with MANY pieces of software.

Problem with a feature? Says its on? (or off), try to turn it to the opposite, then back again.
(also loging out and in as you tried as well).

Often can 're set' the setting properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.