Access TiVo - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-04-03, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Access TiVo

Noticed signs from Access going up around Regina the past couple of days featuring a silhouette of the TiVo logo... so, presumably it’s coming to Access.

Does anyone know how this relates to AccessEvo? Presumably, TiVo cards will be an option available to customers who want to buy their own TiVo system (this is how Cogego rolled it out), and AccessEvo will remain an available option.

The TiVo launch piqued my interest given the new AccessEvo software that’s deploying in waves over the next couple of weeks... seemed odd to launch if it’s going to be replaced imminently, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Anyone have more info on either of these launches?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-04-04, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Presumably, TiVo cards will be an option available to customers who want to buy their own TiVo system (this is how Cogego rolled it out), and AccessEvo will remain an available option.
As far as I can recall Cogeco required that you rent their TiVo box that was manufactured specifically for cable companies. Cogeco continues to offer both the legacy cable box and the TiVo service, so Access will probably do the same, as well as passing along routine Evo software updates from the manufacturer.

I found the Access TiVo page - it says "Coming Soon," but there's lots of info.

Access Communications - TiVo
Quote:
No more switching inputs on your TV, fumbling with multiple remotes and searching through apps to find what you want. TiVo seamlessly integrates live TV, Access OnDemand, PVR recordings and streaming services like Netflix into a single on-screen interface. TiVo is all you need to watch the movies and TV shows you love.

✔ Record up to 6 HD shows at once
✔ Store up to 1,000 hours of your favourite shows
✔ Easily search across multiple platforms by title, actor or keyword
✔ Stream and record live TV to your mobile device when at home
Quote:
TiVo gateway
• 1 TB hard drive
• 100 hrs of SD or 150 hrs of HD programming
Starting at $12.95/mth*

TiVo player
• Add up to 5 media players to bring TiVo to every TV in your home
$4.95/mth*
Note: I think the "100 hrs of SD" should be "1000 hrs of SD."

*Pricing includes one media player and based on HD base packages subscription. TV package subscription not included. Additional media players available at $4.95/mth/box limit of 5 players per household. Subscription to AccessTV and a minimum Internet connection of AccessHyperSpeed 25 is required for TiVo. TV must have HDMI hookup to work with TiVo. Some conditions apply.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-04-06, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Interesting - thanks for the link (I'm sure I tried guessing that link just before I posted & got nothing). I note they're still using Arris boxes... (Mi4 set-top or Qi3 set-top & either the MG1 cable modem Gateway or MG2 (no cable modem?)).

The roll-out of the new set-top interface this week is interesting. To me, it almost seems as though they should be gradually transitioning all AccessEvo subscribers to the TiVo platform (pricing is very similar, and Arris ended support for Moxi - which I beleive is still the software running on the AccessEvo, and other Access boxes - in 2016... so, presumably they're working with Arris to transition to Arris' supported software.

The hardware I found on Arris' website doesn't speak to integration of telephony services, and some devices don't include a cable modem - am I missing an integrated gateway unit? Or are we going back to a standalone cable modem/telephony unit, and a stand alone cable gateway?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-04-06, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

BTW - glad you replied... this used to be an active forum, but it's been completely silent for a couple years. If you're in need of a Moderator for Access Communications, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Also wondering if it might be time to move Access out of the 'other Canadian Cable & IPTV' subforum - they've acquired a large number of community cable systems over the past decade, and are now the largest television provider in Saskatchewan, and the 6th largest in Canada (in 2009, they likely have more subscribers now). Their services have also expanded dramatically - they serve 230 communities (15-20 years ago, they only served Regina & surrounding bedroom communities), offer rural high-speed internet (both wireline & wireless), phone, & security systems.

I don't work for them or anything - just strikes me as odd to have them buried as an 'also-ran,' when that doesn't really line up with their current reality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in