ON - Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph, Cambridge, Bruce Peninsula - Page 87 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1291 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-13, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Picked up a 28db amplifier today and will test tomorrow.
I'm really hoping it will work for Buffalo.
I'm also looking into grounding as well. Will you be doing that your self or having it done by a pro.
I noticed that Jase has Siemens surge protection. Wonder where I could get that. Siemens is a good name and the product sure looks better then what they sell at Radio Shack and Home Depot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-13, 07:35 PM

Exclamation Surge Protection

See post #925 in the Grounding Info & Standards thread for more information on Siemens surge protection. Specifically, the model, specs and source of the device that I use in my setup.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #1293 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-13, 10:08 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Surge Protection

^^^
As much as this was not intended to be a direct question, but rather a part of a conversation, I appreciate your response.
Thank you so much for pointing out the proper place where I was supposed to even mention Surge Protection.

post #1294 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-17, 04:00 PM
Rookie

No decent reception in Kitchener (Forest Hill area)

Just installed a Channel Master 2018 (http://www.channelmaster.com/HD_tele...tenna_s/51.htm) at ~30 feet above the ground. I am using an Antenna Craft 10G222 preamp (http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=10G202).

I can get a bit of reception on channel 8 with the preamp on, but no other channels (not even the local broadcast). Here is a link to my TV fool analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49e0525bf858

My television is a sharp aquos LC 32DA5U, which has support for vhf and uhf.

Any ideas what could be wrong here?
post #1295 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-17, 06:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpom View Post
Just installed a Channel Master 2018 .....
Your TV does not have an ATSC tuner.
post #1296 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-18, 06:36 PM
Rookie

Thanks gzhr
I can't believe I over-looked this. These ATSC converters with HD output are expensive! I cant find anything less than 100$. Might be a good time to just invest in a new TV.

Does anybody know of any good quality, reasonably priced ATSC tuners with HD output?
post #1297 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-18, 09:45 PM
Rookie

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I have been OTA since April 2012, after dropping Rogers, and have had great success with OTA so far.

Right now, I have a TERK INDOOR HDTV AMPLIFIED ANTENNA from The Source... http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=1505315

I also have a CHANNEL MASTER CM 7778 TITAN2 VHF/UHF PREAMPLIFIER WITH POWER SUPPLY from The Source as well.

We live in an apartment building facing South, on the 1st floor, and the antenna is about 10 feet off the ground, in front of the balcony door. We are between River Road & Weber Street near Woodland cemetery in Kitchener.

Currently, we get these stations...

CKCO-DT = 13.1 (80-90%)
CIII-DT = 6.1 (75-80%)
CICO-DT = 28.1 (75-80%)
CITY-DT - 31.1 (75-80%)

We were able to get CBC and Radio-Canada (French) in analog before they took the transmitters off. In the summer/fall, we could also get a few Erie stations during Tropo once in a while.

HOWEVER... I know it's a slim chance... but, what I wondering what I could do to get CFPL London 10.1??? I was wondering if I use a Clearstream2 UHF/VHF combo, or DB4??? I need something less than 4 feet that could be indoor or outdoor on my balcony! Any ideas???

Your help is greatly appreciated!
post #1298 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-18, 09:46 PM
Rookie

Sorry, here is my TV Fool results... http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc4921c673ef5e
post #1299 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-19, 01:12 PM
Veteran

typrattis, a Clearstream combo antenna won't add much more than a simple FM dipole antenna would. If the Terk's Rabbit Ears extended to the right length don't work, I don't think a Clearstream dipole will help any better. You could always try a dollar store FM ribbon antenna just to see if it helps. Otherwise, you would need a proper VHF yagi, or a clearstream 5. And even then, there would be no guarantees, especially in your ground floor environment.
You might have better luck trying for CHCJ out of Hamilton, but that will be quite tricky, too, at your low elevation.
post #1300 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-19, 06:45 PM

typrattis, I agree with the suggestions from tvlurker.

Note that I have a family member not far away (near Greenfield and Traynor) with a bungalow attic VHF Yagi install, and they receive CFPL London well. Try borrowing an antenna or "rabbit ears" and do some experimenting...

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #1301 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-11-19, 08:20 PM
Rookie

typrattis, I have an issue where amplified channel 13 causes problems on all my VHF stations. You may also have issues when your antenna is pointed at London. If you are having trouble pulling in 10.1, try the dipole mentioned above without a preamplifier.
post #1302 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-12-26, 06:27 PM
Rookie

Hey guys. This is my first post here but I've been lurking for a while. I've been experimenting for about a month and today I've unhooked Rogers for a month's trial. Hopefully I'll get the W.A.F!

I have an Antenna's direct Clearstream 4 in the attic with a CM 7778 Pre amp. I'm splitting it with a PCT distribution amp (that I used with Rogers cable. Seems to not make a difference to reception one way or another). I have it run into an ASUS eebox PC through media center. I'm spoofing my IP to a US address and using Nexflix and Hulu to supplement what I don't get OTA. Here are my results.
5.1 CBC
9.1 CFTO CTV Toronto
11.1 CHCH
13.1 CKCO
19.1 TVO
25.1 CBC French
36.1 Crossroads
40.1 Omni 2
41.1 Global HD
41.2 Global SD
47.1 OMNI 1
57.1 City TV

I get all of these all the time with the exception of 9.1 and 11.1 with I get around 70 % of the time. without the preamp I didn't get the Omni's, City, CHCH and CFTO. I'm pretty pleased at this point. I'll try moving the antenna to the garage roof in the spring to try to get 9.1 and 11.1 a little more stable.
9.1 and 13.1 pretty much have the same stuff but they seem to have different NFL games on Sundays. I'm in the Chicopee area of Kitchener. I have a clear LOS to the East and I'm at the crest of a slight hill.
post #1303 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-12-27, 05:44 AM

^^^ I would try using a proper splitter. Two amps in a system is overkill, and could cause some issues, especially with VHF stations.

11.1 CHCH will be switching to UHF (hopefully sometime early next year) and increasing their ERP, so your reception issues with this station should sort themselves out at that time.

A proper VHF antenna may be required to improve 9.1.

post #1304 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2012-12-30, 02:02 PM
Rookie

Right you are. I noticed I was getting spotty reception and took out the Dist Amp. Problem solved. Thanks for the advice.

BTW. Anyone in our region who wants to use Peter Near's mulitple guide hack to get guide listings for CKCO can use guide ID number 28518939. That is the ID for the Rogers/Grand river cable gude data.

I set my HTPC up with US as my region and a Buffalo Zip code. THat got me all the guide data I needed except CKCO. Using the hack and the rogers ID got me the rest.
post #1305 of 1676 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 01:59 PM
Rookie

Waterloo area question

Hi All,
After getting rid of Rogers a few months ago, I decided to try OTA after reading this forum. I need some advice, here is my situation. I am located in Waterloo near University and Bridge and using a CM-7778 preamp with a Kross GY-TVA 003 antenna. These are the channels I am getting:-

Here is my tvfool listing
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c84f89f35dc31d

Now the Kross antenna did not get a great review here on the antenna discussion forum
KROSS model GY-TVA 003 (4 Bay whisker antenna)
However the guy who installed it seemed to like it so I went ahead with it as its a $20 antenna.

My question is, I'd like to get CITS in addition to the channels I am currently receiving. Would a different antenna help or would I have to do something like have 2 antennas? The current one is pointed at the CN tower so I assume pointing it towards CITS would mean I don't get the CN tower anymore. I'd like to avoid a rotator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.