ON - Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph, Cambridge, Bruce Peninsula - Page 76 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1126 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2011-12-08, 10:19 PM

Then you should experience good results with a rooftop installation.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1127 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2011-12-09, 02:56 PM
tgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmemario View Post
ameloche,
For example I just installed a $56 tuner on the PC and now have unlimited space to record HD.
Cheers
Which tuner card did you go with? Are you using Windows, Linux or Mac?

I've been thinking of adding a card to to my Linux media server. All my TV's are OTA now and I use DLNA devices to access media from my server on each TV.

Off to the HTPC forums I go...
post #1128 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 05:28 PM

Need WGRZ (NBC) for the Super Bowl

It sounds like getting WGRZ NBC (2.1) is pretty tough to do in KW. I really want to have the American feed this year. CTV ruins the whole thing. I plan on mounting something on a tripod on my roof with a pre-amp. It sounds like I have a choice between the DB8 and the 91XG but I'm not sure which is best in this case. I have a CM4221 but I gather that's too small. According to my research the 91XG is excellent (albeit highly directional) but the DB8 may be better in cases where there is no LOS (no LOS according to tvfool - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4033d802679723). Any suggestions or is this hopeless? Keep in my mind I only care about this one channel. So if it's the only one I get than I'll be happy. I'm at Bridge and University.

post #1129 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 10:10 PM

I have the equipment as seen in the signature below, and I have a problem with WGRZ in the winter. It's hit and miss--certainly not reliable enough to plan viewing.

With any luck, there could be a "tropo" event on Super Bowl day. It's happened in the past. The year before last, I had great reception of the entire game on CBS (WIVB) Buffalo.

Either way, I'd say your chances are receiving WGRZ in February, in K/W, with a rooftop installation, are poor at best.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #1130 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 10:57 PM
Veteran

If you are totally committed- go as high as possible and get two 91XGs and stack them into a CM7777- that would be your best bet

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312
post #1131 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 09:43 AM

Sounds like this probably isn't going to work. What's reception like at night? Still spotty at best? 91-XG over the DB8 then I'm assuming?
post #1132 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 11:00 PM

Winter reception of WGRZ is spotty at best. Though it's been more consistent recently with the abnormally higher temps.

If you absolutely must receive a US NBC feed, I'd check into the Free to Air forum. It's likely there is an unencrypted feed available. Obviously you'd need to invest in a dish and receiver.

post #1133 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2011-12-21, 11:28 AM

Last night I got a hold of a CM4228HD, CM7777 pre-amp, tripod and mast. I set it all up on the top (9th) floor balcony of my friend's apt at 400 Parkside Dr. in Waterloo. Unfortunately I was on the wrong side of the building but I was able to get the antenna to look over the top of the roof (~130ft?). I was able to scan most of the Buffalo stations including WGRZ but I couldn't watch them reliably. They kept cutting out. I was using a Hauppauge USB tuner which probably isn't the most sensitive. Signal strength was either full or none... It was also a pretty clear night. I'm thinking if I were able to get a bit higher to clear the roof a bit more I might have been able to get a better signal. Putting the tripod on a coffee table for an extra 1.5ft seemed to make an improvement. I'm curious to see how two stacked 4228s do but I'm not ambitious enough for that ATM. I came really close though. My results there confirm what everyone else has been saying about a rooftop installation to receive from Buffalo.

After looking a bit harder I did find an FTA sat at 103W which is supposed to carry NBC HD so I will be trying that next and leaving my next deep fringe OTA attempt for warmer weather in the summer.
post #1134 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2011-12-21, 12:53 PM

Yoda1, I hope you're exercising extreme caution with your 9th floor balcony/rooftop experiments. It's not uncommon to experience sudden and forceful winds at that height on a building. You don't want equipment--or worse, yourself--falling from that height and possibly striking people or vehicles below.

post #1135 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 04:17 PM

What about using the 14.5 foot CM3671 beast in SW Kitchener to try and get WGRZ, mounted on the roof with a pre-amp?
post #1136 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 10:10 AM

tgf,

I've installed at Hauppauge 1250 (single tuner) into my Windows PC. I'm not very computer literate, so some of the discussion in the HTPC forum was overy my head.
I purchased it off amazon.ca and for $56 it is a little better than my 2009 Samsung Plasma and equal to my 2010 Emerson LCD. I'm very pleased with it. I'm using windows media center to record and then Lifextender to remove commercials. I then bought a 50 ft ethenet cord (amazon.ca $9) and use my PS3 as an extender. This has worked very well for me, but there is tons more info on the HTPC forums.

Quote:
Simonizer:
What about using the 14.5 foot CM3671 beast in SW Kitchener to try and get WGRZ, mounted on the roof with a pre-amp?
I have one of these beast set up at my place and am very happy with it. However, I'm out in Arthur, so I can't really comment on Kitchener performance. I know were times in the summer when I could pick up NBC but it was sketchy at best, but again I'm 35 minutes North-west of Waterloo. I am hoping to pick up a 91xg or maybe build a gray hoverman when the weather turns nice again to test the UHF performance of the 3671 to the 91xg/hoverman. I'll be sure to post my results here for you all the see.
post #1137 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 10:39 AM

Oh wow... Arthur is 125 miles away from the WGRZ transmitter! How high is your antenna? Is Arthur on higher land as well?

Btw, are there free topographic maps out there? I've tried searching for some, put all I could find were sites for ordering printed maps.
post #1138 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 11:02 AM

It's up about 30 ft on a rotator. It's is by no means consistent. It would drop out every couple minutes, but I did watch some college football . I am able to pick up the CW more consistently (has to be a good night, tropo bounce), dropping out every 10 minutes (roughly). Jase would probably now better than I but I think that the 91xg will have better draw than the 3671 on the UHF channels? I wanted the 3671, just so I could pick up all frequencies, (I'm picking up Global from Paris (even though it does come through when I have it aimed at Toronto) and CTV 2 from the south-west).
About Arthur being on high-ground, I'm pretty sure it's a bit of a hole. I'm on hill (thankfully) but I pretty sure as a whole, I'm a little low on the elevation scale.
post #1139 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2012-01-20, 03:31 PM

Simonizer, my recollection of your area is that it's lower in elevation. Any winter reception of WGRZ is going to be hit and miss for you there. More likely miss. Especially at 30'.

post #1140 of 1684 (permalink) Old 2012-01-23, 04:19 PM
Rookie

Kitchener Williamsburg area

I live in Kitchener Williamsburg area (Fisher & Maxbecker)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...67d954df0bff62

I have a CM4228HD and a CM7777 setup in the attic pointing south, split to two tvs.

currently getting the following channels:
6.1/6.2
29 analog
Didn't have much luck pointing East (CN tower) maybe if its mounted on the roof instead of the attic.
I would love to put it on the house, but it will have to wait for better weather.

Purchased the antenna and amp from Orion Electronics, amp was $90 antenna $100.. got $10 off for buying both.

I bought the RCA ANT751 ($40 KW surplus) before and had pretty good reception with it as well. (same configuration as the cm4228 but without the amp)
Was getting all the above minus channel 11 and 13 this was without the amp.

Once spring comes around i'll put the smalled ANT751 with the pre-amp on a J-pole outside and see the difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in