ON/MI - Windsor, Detroit, Sarnia, Leamington, Chatham - OTA - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2006-11-23, 11:20 AM

Amherstburg, ON: Looking for Antenna for Analogue tv, FM/AM Radio and HDTV

Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting an antenna that picks up anologue tv channels, radio (FM and AM) and HDTV. Is there such an antenna out there and if so where can I get one and how much money am I looking at? I live near Windsor, ON and live in an area with no cable and want my local stations, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2006-11-23, 12:57 PM

Hi
If you take a look in the other tread in this section you will find a tread called download decision chart in pdf.Just download it and it will help you get the equipment you need.Stampeder is a PRO.By going with 2 separates antenna it would be better than a combo but always depending of the money you have to invest and the place you have

J
post #63 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2006-11-23, 01:00 PM

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/anno....php?f=81&a=34

Here are most of the answers you need including Stampeders excellent antenna decision chart.

post #64 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2006-11-23, 05:24 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Also be aware that OTA TV/FM gear will not help you with the very low frequencies of AM Radio, for which it was not designed.
post #65 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2006-11-24, 10:52 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Also be aware that OTA TV/FM gear will not help you with the very low frequencies of AM Radio, for which it was not designed.
I agree. You will need a separate antenna for AM but since the FM band is between channels 6 and 7, most combo VHF/UHF antennas will also work for FM (though a few have an FM trap to filter out the FM signals).

Contrary to what the marketing departments for many antenna manufacturers want people to believe, there is no such thing as a "digital" antenna. All antennas will work with both digital and analog signals as long as they are designed for the correct frequency band (i.e. VHF, UHF, FM, etc).
post #66 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2007-01-09, 09:28 PM

Amherstburg, ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcarter View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting an antenna that picks up anologue tv channels, radio (FM and AM) and HDTV. Is there such an antenna out there and if so where can I get one and how much money am I looking at? I live near Windsor, ON and live in an area with no cable and want my local stations, thanks!
Hi I also live in aburg...... I just purchased a channel master 4221 and pointed it in the vicinity of Detroit, and viola! 16 channels found. No dropouts so far. I got everything needed to install this thing on my roof for $100. Love HD... funny thing just happened over the weekend... I lost channel 30 and 38... but had them for the first few days.... but all other channels are still there. I was also at a signal strength of 98% but it has dropped off some now. Hope this helps.
post #67 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2007-01-29, 10:03 AM

Channel 38

38 is Mt. Clemens, I had to for a while but I repointed my Antenna. Not much on that channel anyways, nothing in HD.
post #68 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2007-02-02, 10:19 PM

I live in Windsor, and my home is about 20 kms south of the Detroit river. What's the best setup to receive the local HD and VHF OTA channels? I have an ATSC tuner built-in to my plasma. I would probably use a 1 or 1.5 metre tripod on top of my 1 storey house.
post #69 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2007-02-02, 10:29 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Hi Darren J:

If you haven't already, please take the time to read the Digital Home OTA Forum Knowledge Base and FAQ, located here:
OTA FAQ & Knowledge Base

Also take the time to read the downloadable OTA Antenna Chart for a comparison of antennas:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37629

These have been provided by stampeder, the Moderator of the OTA Forum and they are a wealth of knowledge for what you will require to receive OTA. And with you being in Windsor, you are at the nexus of some of the strongest OTA signals in N. America. Good luck.
post #70 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2007-02-03, 10:24 AM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
Darren J a quick reply since Cyclism posted those helpfull links.

My recommendation would be a channelmaster Crossfire series. The 3677 is the most compact and efficient Vhf & Uhf rated at 45 miles both. This shloud be more than what you need to get all the Detroit locals in Vhf and Uhf.

This is the same antenna I ordered for my sister and her friend in the British Virgin Island.

http://www.pctinternational.com/chan...crossfire.html

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;
post #71 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2007-02-03, 12:43 PM

Darren J,

Hey I live in the (Puce) area abou 25 kms away from Windsor. Using a 3 ft tripod on my roof, uhf / vhf combo antenna, rotator and uhf amplifier. I get all the Detroit locals at 80 % to 100% and can pull in the Flint Michigan PBS station without any problems. When I spin the antenna around to Ohio, I can easily pull in Cleveland broadcasts.
post #72 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2007-02-03, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the links and info. I did read the links earlier, but it's all Greek to me until I read up more on this technology. I have an idea what I need to do now though.
post #73 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2007-03-14, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1
The practice of up-converting SD signal banned!
This is off thread so I will tread gently here. There are both pros and cons to up-converting SD, but I don't think it should be banned. What should be banned is calling up-converted SD, HD. City TV for example should not be allowed to call their news HD since from what I gather, most of it is up-converted SD with only a tiny portion (the anchors?) in HD.
post #74 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2007-03-14, 02:03 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Ya, we're bordering the topic here so I'm going to suggest to kris1 that there are lots of resources here at DHC in the Cable TV forums to learn what other folks are saying about those issues that were raised in post #114.

One last thing, the Japanese had an analogue HDTV-style system that was not widely available, but they abandoned it for a digital one in the late 1990s that is not compliant with ATSC or DVB-T.

Back to the original thread topic...
post #75 of 1364 (permalink) Old 2007-03-24, 01:59 PM

Getting OTA DTV and Analog finally

I've had the Sammy STR-151,351 and was using the 451 till now. I now am using the dish 811 OTA tuner. Finally one unit that pulls in both the HD local s from Detroit , Ohio and the analog locals like 9,16,42.(Canadian broadcasts).
If any of you are looking in the area want to do the same with a single unit, try a dish 811.It also upconverts which gives a little better video.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.