AB - Calgary, Lethbridge, Southern Alberta - OTA - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb AB - Calgary, Lethbridge, Southern Alberta - OTA

It's about 5 m0's since the last info about reception in the Calgary(southern/central Alberta).

Has anything happened? Is there a possibility of OTA HD in these areas?

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 12:18 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Nothing coming up in Calgary in OTA DTV that I know of, based on the lack of CRTC applications from your local stations. You might want to go to their respective web sites and find an email link so that you can ask their staff what their DTV plans are. I've been getting good feedback from Vancouver stations that way, so its worth a try. If you do, please let us know what you find out. Here's an example of an email I sent to BC's not-for-profit Knowledge Network so that you can see what I mean:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...&postcount=169

Of course you might not like the answers you get but at least they'll know that people in Calgary are wondering what their plans are.
post #3 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 12:13 AM

OTA HD in Calgary

How does one "find" the OTA HD channels in Calgary? I have a DirecTV H20 receiver and when I do a search for channels using my antenna, nothing shows up. I know that this function works because when I tried it in the US jurisdiction where I live I found the channels easily. Is there some manual way of adding them?

post #4 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 01:09 AM

Unfortunately there are no Canadian DTV OTA broadcasts in Calgary.
I don't belive any licences have been applied for either.

If you are able to pick-up analog US UHF TV stations than there is half a chance that you may be able recieve some US DTV if they are transmitting at full power.
post #5 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 01:41 AM
Veteran

Your only chance for stations from the USA is an NBC feed from Kalispell. The NBC affiliate has transmission repeaters pretty much covering the entire state < http://www.kcfw.com/coverage_area.ph...b3833188507411 >. Now, I dont know if all the transmitters are showing DTV feeds OTA, but that is probably your best shot right now (and that my friend, is 140-180 miles away, so it will require a real fringe UHF antenna pointed very sharply...
post #6 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 01:16 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

There is ZERO reception of any U.S. OTA analog or digital stations from Calgary, as my years of living there taught me.
post #7 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2006-04-09, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmstough
How does one "find" the OTA HD channels in Calgary? I have a DirecTV H20 receiver and when I do a search for channels using my antenna, nothing shows up. I know that this function works because when I tried it in the US jurisdiction where I live I found the channels easily. Is there some manual way of adding them?

Thought I would add that even if a Calgary OTA pops up soon, you will still NOT get it with an H20 because DirecTV (in their infinite wisdom) decided the only OTA channels that can be tuned in are the ones as determined by the ZIP CODE you provide for the scan....and (more wisdom) they also did not provide any functionality for adding channels MANUALLY.

moo
post #8 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2006-06-13, 01:00 PM
WZ1

go into settings and change the zip code ... or remove the card and or get a virgin card.. i used to use a samsung sir160 directv receiver for ota and it worked fine..
post #9 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2006-08-21, 12:11 PM

Indoor Antenna in Calgary

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Zenith ZHD-TV1 or Terk HDTVa to pick up the locate (old school non-HD) station in Calgary ? I am using a Philips MANT310, which can pick up all the stations but reception is pretty poor for Global & City.

Read the FAQ and did searches, but the answer to these local specific questions remain.

Input on which one to go with and where to pick them up on the cheap would be greatly appreciated. Thx.
post #10 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2006-08-21, 01:10 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Which part of Calgary are you in? Your exact location could speak volumes about your indoor reception in my old home town.
post #11 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2006-08-21, 04:35 PM

Hey Stampeder, I am in Montery Park, NE, Calgary. Thx.
post #12 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2006-08-21, 08:39 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

OK thankfully that's flat out there so that pretty well eliminates the cause being geographic features. If you're getting garble on certain channels its most likely due to local multipathing or other interference. Odds are high that any indoor antenna would have the same problem in the same places. An outdoor antenna would be great.
post #13 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2006-12-15, 08:03 PM

Getting ONE OTA in Calgary

I just bought a lcd that has a hd tuner built in. I am hooked up to shaw as well. After doing my inital scan I found that I get channel 111-4 it is an america pbs station i cant get the call sign right now but when it comes back on the screen I will post it.

Are there any other stations we can get yet that I missed?

PS it is KCTS hd

TBD yet again :)
post #14 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2006-12-15, 08:15 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Nope, that's not OTA. You scanned Shaw Cable, which gave you some Clear QAM channel hits.

If you disconnect Shaw Cable from your HDTV and connect an antenna and then do an NTSC/ATSC scan you'll get the local Calgary analogue OTA stations. If you want to discuss Clear QAM signals on Shaw with other Shaw subscribers you'll have to post in the Shaw forum.
post #15 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2006-12-15, 08:28 PM

Nevermind

TBD yet again :)

Last edited by ctown6412; 2006-12-15 at 08:30 PM. Reason: found the answer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.