AB - Calgary, Lethbridge, Southern Alberta - OTA - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-04, 03:28 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

In Crescent Heights you will get channels booming in from Signal Hill, so definitely a metro-urban-suburban range antenna like the 932 or 933 is appropriate, and you will not have to take any heroic measures to get good results unless you have some of those giant cottonwood or poplar trees in the way (might attenuate UHF signals but not VHF).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 01:33 AM
Rookie

Hmm Delhi 934 antenna and UHF booster section discontinued

Stampeder, I just checked with B&E here in town and it seems like the UHF booster section is no longer made and there is no stock on it. Also the 934 is no longer made by Delhi, although they still have stock. Instead the sales person recommended the Delhi HD2500 and HD2900 (deep fringe) antennas.

What do you think should I get a 934 without the UHF booster section or one of these newfangled HD2500's? I'm a bit worried that without the UHF booster section, I may have issues since I'm behind Nose Hill.

Thoughts? (Thanks for all your advice so far).

Paul
post #78 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 03:00 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Paulie, I don't think you will need a UHF booster kit so I would go ahead confidently with a 934 while they are still in stock.

post #79 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 11:01 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie
Stampeder, I just checked with B&E here in town and it seems like the UHF booster section is no longer made and there is no stock on it. Also the 934 is no longer made by Delhi, although they still have stock. Instead the sales person recommended the Delhi HD2500 and HD2900 (deep fringe) antennas.
Rather strange recommendations IMHO. First of all the "HD SERIES" antennas don't have an option for a UHF booster, so you won't be gaining anything there.

Secondly the HD2500 isn't even close to being equivalent to the 934. The closest equivalent would be the HD2800 which has the same gain on VHF-LO, slightly worse (1dB) gain on VHF-HI, and slightly better (1dB) gain on UHF.

If you were really concerned about gain on UHF (even though stampeder seems to think it is OK and I trust his judgment), you could go with a bigger antenna instead of the UHF booster section, or you could see if an online retailer has it in stock.

For more information about these antennas, see Delhi's datasheet.
post #80 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 02:15 PM
pen
Rookie

delhi in crescent heights

I just talked with B&E and Omni Provincial Electronics, trying to get a Delhi 932.
B&E: Got similar response as Paulie. No vu-932 in stock and they likely wouldn't get any for a while. He suggested a 933 that they have or the HD2500 for $144. Both seem too much for my needs. He also had a Zip-15.

Omni: They don't carry any tv antenna in stock, but will order for me. No price available on the 932, she'll call back with that.

So if I could ask for advice, would a Zip-15 or the Super Delhi likely do it for me? I'm a 2nd storey roof with pretty clear sight to signal hill, between 7 and 14km distance to the 3 towers (all within 10 degrees orientation). Plus 1 tower in just about the opposite direction at 4.5 km (maybe 15 degrees off a straight line pointed at signal hill).
Also, the sales people are pushing "HD" antenna. I'm assuming it makes no difference.
thanks

And regarding HD broadcast:
I got a wishy washy response from Omni's Programme Information Coordinator regarding HD broadcast in Calgary:
"...We currently do have a time frame for this move.
Please be assured that once we have confirmed all details we will issue
a formal announcement.
We appreciate your interest...."

Could not find a way to contact E!, they hide themselves well. I suppose Global might be able to answer that. I'll leave that to someone else.
And I don't have a lot of interest in seeing CTS in HD so not contacting them. They have a very strong SD signal as it is.

Last edited by stampeder; 2008-11-06 at 03:17 PM. Reason: pricing removed
post #81 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 02:29 PM

I just sent an email to chcanews@chcanews.ca. That's the only address I could find for the local E! station. I'll let you know if I get anything back...
You're right about CTS being not too interesting. 80's sitcoms and phone-in shows. Bleh.
post #82 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 03:19 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

pen, my advice is to grab their 933 and be glad you did.
post #83 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 03:26 PM

Since all of E! Alberta's traffic is handled through the Global Calgary offices... I would ask the Global engineer the answer.

My guess is that there are no plans for E! in HD in Alberta.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #84 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-06, 03:40 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

CFCN-DT tech specs submitted to CRTC by IC

Something interesting in the Industry Canada database:
Code:
AB   Calgary RE 36  CFCN-DT(1)   CTV  510337 1141017 206.1 204000 602.00
The RE notation indicates that these are the Industry Canada recommendations to the CRTC towards inclusion in the license for the new CFCN-DT station in Calgary on channel 36. That pretty well means that these are the final specs it will have on launch.
post #85 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-07, 01:32 AM
Rookie

Good advice Roger. Thanks also Stampeder.

I got prices on the 934 and 935, 270$ and 318$ respectively. Seems a bit high compared with the new HD series (about double), but I suppose you get what you pay for. Since the prices are so close between the 934 and 935, would there be any harm in going with the 935 (which has more UHF gain) than the 934?

Thanks for all the help so far, you guys are great!

Cheers,

Paul
post #86 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-07, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Paul,

The 935 is much larger than the 934 (15 lbs vs 11 lbs) and will put much more stress on your rig during wind and ice storms. Since most of this weight is to improve VHF-LO performance, (which will likely be useless in 3 years) I would lean towards the 934.

If you did want a larger antenna, I would lean towards the 936 as it is only 1 lb heavier than the 935 and gives an extra dB of gain on UHF. Having said that, you may not need that extra gain and if you did, you would be better off trying to find that UHF booster from an online retailer.

Kind of a round about answer, but I hope it helps.
post #87 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-07, 01:08 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Smile Calgary is a single-antenna town - nice to have

Calgarians are in good shape for buying a single-antenna OTA solution since there is only the one direction to point for the very nearby TV and FM Radio signals. Rotors, ganging, stacking, and combining are not on the list of considerations for people in the city or the nearby vicinity. Get out a map, plot the distance to your home from Signal Hill, and then consult the Antenna Chart.

For those who already have Cable or Satellite but want to get just the Digital OTA stations for the superior-quality HD programming my advice is a 4-bay Bowtie Reflector like a Delhi 4BT-1483 since the stations will be in the UHF band. It is good to know that there is a Delhi distributor in town.

For those who want all the TV and FM Radio stations, a Combo is the way to go. Going with too big a rig (935 or bigger) is not a problem if you have the antenna mount for it and a bunch of attenuators ready should the signal be too strong. For most people in Calgary you'll be happy with the 934 since it isn't one of the bigger ones yet has excellent performance. In the farthest places of Calgary from Signal Hill a 935 or equivalent might be a better option.

Last edited by stampeder; 2008-11-07 at 01:53 PM.
post #88 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-07, 02:41 PM

stampeder,
What would you recommend for indoor OTA reception? I'm in Atladore and currently using a flexible wire FM antenna that came with my stereo, so obviously my reception could be better. Channels 9 and 32 come in great, 2 not at all, and everything else is fuzzy and could use improvement.
Thanks

Last edited by 23skidoo; 2008-11-07 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Meant channel 32, not 38
post #89 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-07, 03:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Calgarians are in good shape for buying a single-antenna OTA solution since there is only the one direction to point for the very nearby TV and FM Radio signals.
Although this may be true for the analog broadcasts, the digital broadcasts will be from different towers according to the applications to the CRTC.
post #90 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-11-07, 06:40 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Just temporarily, apparently: Global will have a transitional antenna and they are located off Barlow Trail in the NE along with their analogue transmitter to the west of the city up on Signal Hill.
Code:
AB 	 Calgary 	UC	 41	 CICT-DT 	 INDE 	 510315	 1140012	 51.0	 5000	 632.00	 
AB 	Calgary 	OP	2	CICT-TV 	INDE 	510424	1141538	301.5	100000	54.00	+
It is a point worth remembering, though, so I have to take back the "single antenna" aiming idea as long as Global insists on doing that. I'm going to have to put in an intervention to argue for them to move to the main site asap!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.