AB - Calgary, Lethbridge, Southern Alberta - OTA - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2007-08-29, 09:29 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Industry Canada and the US's FCC measure the elevation as HAAT: Height Above Average Terrain found in the station's broadcast contour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2007-09-07, 01:12 PM

CTS has a test pattern on Channel UHF 32 in Calgary now.
I didn't see E! on UHF 44 last night.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #33 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2007-09-07, 01:15 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

IC's database shows CTS Channel 32 Calgary to be co-located on CFCN's tower with an ERP of 75kW. Their HAAT is 206, so that puts their emitter at the same point as E!'s.

post #34 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2007-09-07, 01:22 PM

My house is only 8 km NW of CFCN. E! Calgary just was not on the air testing last night I'll look again tonight.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #35 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 09:16 PM
Rookie

Outdoor TV antenna for Calgary?

Please help me to select a good outdoor antenna for viewing 5 main TV stations (Global, CTV, CityTV, CBC, Access) at Calgary SW. All stations are within 20 km between bearing 347 and 31. My existing TVs are analog, will switch to digital after 2011.

I never had cable, had to install a rod type of outdoor antenna for a newer TV in order to view these channels in the basement 7 years ago, it didn't work at all except receiving only CBC signals even with an indoor antenna. Another 30 years older Sony TV still works really well with just the rabbit ear for Global, CTV and CBC channels.

Recently due to cracks and water problem I am searching for a replacement outdoor antenna. Compact design and easy to install models such as Winegard MetroStar-2000 and SquareShooter-2000 are my favor, HD7210P is fine too, they are all suitable for urban use, but it's hard to know for sure without trying.

From an OTA DTV point of view Winegard SS-2000 seems like the choice. Any experience using it on a residencial roof in city? I would really appreciate your knowledge on this matter. Any other models and made may be better? Thanks in advance.
post #36 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2007-10-06, 09:27 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi georgejan, welcome here. I saw your post in the Newcomers Forum and added it to this existing thread that covers Calgary. Please read through this thread and also follow the links I'm including in this post to read the OTA Forum Knowledge Base & FAQ and also download the Antenna Chart, which will give you my antenna recommendations.

Which neighbourhood in Calgary do you live in, or which major street corner are you close to?
post #37 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2007-10-09, 04:53 PM
Rookie

TV antenna in Calgary

Hi Stampeder:
Thanks for the great help. I'm living in Woodbine area, south west corner of Calgary, the nearest main roads are Anderson and 24 street SW. I saw your antenna chart which also recommends Windgard square shooter, but I have a problem to get one, because either the American dealers don't deal with Canadian customers or won't take it back if it doesn't work. Do you know any place that I can order one with guarantee? Thanks again.
Geo Jan
post #38 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2007-10-09, 07:16 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The Winegard Square Shooter will do fine for you in the higher part of your neighbourhood. If you are in the lower part near Fish Creek you might have a bit of trouble but I doubt it. Try searching online for a dealer that will ship one to you.
post #39 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-02-14, 10:29 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Cool Global's OTA DTV Plans For Calgary

From Global's web site:
Quote:
we expect to have an over the air HD transmitter up and running for CHCH Hamilton, Global Ontario and Global BC by the end of April. After they are set up and running, Calgary and Edmonton will follow for an HD transmitter
So, since we know that Global's digital transition work has already begun in Hamilton, Toronto, and Vancouver, folks in Alberta's biggest cities can expect to see Digital OTA come to their cities some time after that.

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/info/faqs.html

Get phoning, faxing, and emailing CBC and CFCN (CTV) to match them!
post #40 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-03-13, 06:18 PM
Veteran

Any updates as of yet? I just got rid of my BEV, there is just crap on SAT. and the costs keep skyrocketing! They made me give them 30 days notice for cancelling!!! can you belive that? I can't believe they get away with that!!! Going back to basic cable just for hockey news etc. but would really love OTA HD even just one channel! I plan on having an Antenna ready to go for when they turn the thing on... I live in Spruce Grove!
post #41 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-04-03, 11:08 PM
Rookie

Hidden Valley (North Calgary)

Just getting interested in OTA signals, particularly HDTV, stumbled on this site.

I've read through the antenna decision chart but am still unsure what would be best for me.

I live in Hidden Valley in Calgary on the north side of Nose Hill. I don't have any chance for line of site to broadcast hill or downtown, they call it hidden for a reason.

Would I have any success with a Winegard with a preamp? Do I need to go that heavy duty? I already have a sat dish that the Wingard would mount to on the south side of the house with reasonable view, but the hill is in the way.

I'd like to be up and running in time for the HD signals when they come onstream in Calgary.

Any thoughts?
post #42 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-04-04, 02:23 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi bongo37, I admire your optimism about Calgary stations going DT. Here's hoping its not too long.

Here's an experiment you could try... check out the Build It Yourself antenna thread:

Original OTA Build-It-Yourself Antennas & Gear (Now Closed)

and construct yourself a cheap and dirty 4-bay Bowtie Reflector antenna and put it up nice and high if you can, pointed at Signal Hill where the CFCN and CBC towers are.

Tune to Channel 32. If your reception is not too bad on that analogue UHF channel then the digital ones will be excellent when they come up. That would mean that a Channel Master 4221 would be great for your use. If your home grown antenna is too weak that might be a sign that you need an antenna with more ooomph, in which case you'd probably be fine with the CM4228. Because you're in the valley there you'll likely need to have your antenna on the roof.
post #43 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-04-05, 05:58 PM
Rookie

OK, so I made a 4 bay bow tie. Each bow was made from 14" 14 gauge wire with each bow 7" center to center.

Tested it near a window on the second floor near a window. Quite snowy on channel 32. I wanted to mount the antenna on the other side of the wall. Could get it onto the roof, would the extra 10 ft help much?

Does it look like I did it sorta right? Am I likely to need an amp even with the 4228?

Thanks.
post #44 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-04-05, 07:22 PM
Rookie

In case it would help with the understanding, I got out the topo maps and checked, my house is at about 1150 m, the antennas on broadcast hill are between 1200 and 1260 m roughly 10-11 km away. Roughly 3 km away is the top of the kill that is also around 1250 m. The elevation then dips down into the river valley before climbing back up the hill.

Antenna locations per the link I saw on the site with the details.

Jim
post #45 of 1382 (permalink) Old 2008-04-05, 07:29 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, your antenna looks fine for testing, and given the hilly surroundings I'd definitely say put it up on the roof. More height is the number one change anyone should try first when testing TV antennas.

TV signals refract downwards with distance from the transmission tower, so I'm guessing things will be alright for you according to the topography you've looked up. At least this way we'll know better before you lay out any $$$. I doubt you'll need a preamp, but that's for the future. A CM4221 is your likely best bet, but we'll see how your home grown antenna does first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.