BC - Victoria, The Island, Sunshine Coast, BC Interior, BC North - OTA - Page 51 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #751 of 757 (permalink) Old 2016-07-24, 03:23 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6 View Post
Is there a way to combine two signals with a splitter so they *don't* interfere?
I don't know of any way that will guarantee success when you combine two UHF antennas aimed in different directions with a splitter in reverse; you just have to try it because of so many variables. The Antennas Direct DB8e ads imply promise, but ADTech who works for Antennas Direct and gives good advice here, says that it doesn't always work. He says that it is most likely to work if the two directions are 90 degrees apart.

CATV systems use separate antennas, single channel amplifiers, attenuators to balance signal levels, and combine into a single system. That costs thousands of dollars.

Anything you do that costs less, will involve making a compromise.

There are a number of less expensive ways, but they will not give you everything you want unless you reduce your expectations and prioritize.

You can do the project in steps, with the first step the DB4e in different directions to see what is available.

Then you must make a list of the channels most important to you, which will determine the antennas, amplifiers, and directions.

Some people in your situation would use one all channel antenna and a rotator, but rotators have some disadvantages, like do you want to wait for it to swing around to another direction, do want to repair it in the middle of January, and do you want to rescan after changing direction if your TV can't add a channel after scan?

If most of your channels are in one direction, you can add a few from another direction with a custom combiner by Jan Jenca.

You can use an A/B switch to select which antenna to use, but your TV will need to rescan if it can't add a channel after scan like a Sony.

You can connect the main antenna to the antenna input of the TV and connect the second antenna to a separate tuner, with its output going to the aux input of the TV. This my favorite low cost solution.

You can have one antenna going to one TV, and have the second antenna going to another TV.

If you are into computers, you can have a network of SiliconDust HDHR tuners.

Quote:
Can I combine the antenna signal with my existing in-house cable lines, which also carry my internet? Currently I have Shaw cable internet and TV.....
Not a good idea, because the cable TV signals and the OTA signals use the same frequencies. Also, there is a chance that the antenna system will radiate cable TV signals, some of which are on aircraft control frequencies. In the US, the FCC sets strict limits on radiation from cable TV systems, which is called egress (signal leakage).

However, here in the US, COX cable TV and internet service can share the same coax, so it might be possible for the same coax to share OTA and internet.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 2016-07-24 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 757 (permalink) Old 2016-07-27, 10:52 AM

@rabbit73 - Excellent, detailed summary. Pretty much confirms what I thought, but didn't really want to know. Time to just go buy a DB4e and start pointing it around.
post #753 of 757 (permalink) Old 2016-08-15, 03:45 PM

Okay, it took a couple of weeks to get an antenna ordered and delivered, but i'm up and running with a DB4e and am more than happy with the results. I've got 17 channels, which is 7 more than I received when I lived in Langley, BC.

First, my TVFool Report.

What I get:

Code:
CBUT-DT  43   (2.1)  CBC
CHEK-DT  49   (6.1)
CHAN-DT  22   (8.1)  GTN
CKVU-DT  33  (10.1)  CTN
KVOS-DT  35  (12.1)  Ind
+            (12.2)  Movies
+            (12.3)  H&I
CIVI-DT  17  (17.1)
KBCB-DT  19  (24.1)  Ind
+            (24.2)  Jewelry TV
CBUF-DT  26  (26.1)  SRC
K24IC-D  24  (28.1)  PBS
+            (28.2)  NHK World
+            (28.3)  MHZ
+            (28.4)  TVW
CIVT-DT  32  (32.1)  CTV
CHNM-DT  20  (42.1)  OMN
Channels 12.2 and 12.3 seem to have lower signal strength (60-65%), but get 100% signal quality from that most of the time. They do pixelate occasionally, signal drops to 40% and quality down to 40-70% but it comes right back a few seconds later. This may also be true on 24.1 and 24.2, but one is a religious/ministry channel and the other is Jewelry TV, so I may just edit out the 24's entirely anyway. I haven't noticed the problem on the 28's, but i've only watched 28.1 for any significant time.

A note on mounting and position: I am mounted right now on the railing of my deck on the front of the house, which faces north with an unobstructed view/sky from 270 degrees true to 90 degrees true across the Victoria airport. The antenna is pointed approximately 45-50 degrees true (haven't measured exactly yet). Altitude is about 10-12' off the ground. I could definitely mount it higher on the house or the chimney, but I don't think i'd get any more channels if I did.

I tried briefly hanging the antenna off the rear eavestrough (~20' up) pointing SSE, trying to pick up anything to the south. No luck. We do have a forest behind our house though so that seriously affects line of sight... I wasn't keeping my fingers crossed.

Now to give Shaw a call with the bad news. I'll keep the internet, but cable can go.
post #754 of 757 (permalink) Old 2016-08-15, 07:38 PM
DHC Supporter

Thank you for the report with the good news; sounds like you are having fun.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #755 of 757 (permalink) Old 2016-08-16, 01:44 PM

I just noticed last night that my pixellation issues seem to be correlated to when a double-decker bus drives past... So I can probably eliminate the problem entirely if I just mount the antenna higher on the house.
post #756 of 757 (permalink) Old 2017-01-07, 05:26 PM
Rookie

Giving this a try as I plan to cut the cable cord (Telus Optik, which is decent but with internet is costly).

In Victoria, on Richmond near Cedar Hill X. 2nd floor of an apartment building, south-facing. South is a lane and then houses, and Mt Tolmie is looming SE.

TV Fool

To test the waters I purchased a Nexxtech DA-8000 antenna from The Source (not the most sophisticated choice but enough to try it out, plus it's currently $20, plus I can return w/in 30days). Put it on the southern exterior wall above my TV. I get the four local stations (Omni, JoyTV, CTV, and CityTV) with good quality and not a peep from anything else.

From reading this thread and other resources I see that line of sight is a big factor, plus being able to put a bigger antenna up higher, neither of which I can do anything about in my current location. Is there any likelihood of picking up other stations if I use a better indoor antenna? I've read of others having successes with various larger indoor antennas. I've also looked at the antenna chart PDF available on here, which suggests some options. That is over 2 years old though, so are there other possibilities worth looking at?
post #757 of 757 (permalink) Old 2017-01-15, 01:49 PM

Do you have a balcony and the ability to put something there? I'd suspect you'll have much better results if you can put something outside.

Personally, I've been able to pick-up the Bellingham stations with a CM4221 sitting indoors on the second floor of my house (Quadra and McKenzie area), Once the antenna was elevated to the roof I was able to pull in the key Vancouver stations as well.

Motorized 90cm/AzBox Elite HD/MicroHD for Ku FTA; CM-4228HD for OTA; Bell TV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.