ON - City of Toronto Metro Area <OUTDOOR Antennas Only> - OTA - Page 38 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #556 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-11-21, 02:28 PM
Veteran

Scruffy, I use the vhf/uhf splitter because i'll never need vhf on my atsc tuner and the vhf goes to my FM reciever.
As for Aiming, usually i aim for the hardest to get buffalo staion, nbc or fox and the rest come in fine. Depends on where you are.
From where i am in ajax, i had to compromise buffalo to get toronto, the side lobe thing didn't work well.
Thats when i went for a second antenna and combined them. the pre-amp didn't work for me

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #557 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-11-25, 08:23 PM

Danforth and Victoria Park

Ok guys.. here goes.. I currently have satellite television ( bell) but i hate how the simsub the Primetime shows, so once in a while i watch shows on my LCD/6100 Receiver using a cheap RCA indoor antenna. I get ( after vigorously positioning the antenna) CBS, ABC, CBC, CW and if i point in the oposite direction i get FOX and PBS, Suntv all in HD. So my question is if i invest in a good OTA OUTDOOR antenna will i be able to better get these channels? Problem right now is i can get these channels to show but theres periodic siginal Outages for things just like me getting up and walking across the room. So will an outdoor antenna be more relyable? I was looking at some antennas and a local dealer has a sort of mini outdoor yagi antenna, and one that looks like the CM4228. It might even be the CM4228, i havent had time to check it out fully yet. Also.. Would using a motor be better? Im looking to pull in as many HD ota channels as possible.. though i would rather have quality over quantity. Meaning i'd rather get 4 High siginal channels locked in rather then 10 but their all weak.

Thanks in advanced.. BTW im in the toronto area.. just off danforth.
post #558 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-11-25, 09:28 PM

Generally an outdoor antenna will be a more reliable stronger signal since you can align it to pick the best signal and it doesn't move, whereas the indoor antenna needs to be moved around to get the signal. Unfortunately with an antenna like the CM4228 (which I have with the CM7777 preamp) it tends to be very directional. That means you need to align it with the transmitter, (either Toronto or Buffalo would be the most likely at your location). You then have a few options: (1) Align it with the stations you want and see if you can get any other signals (a bit of trial and error), (2) use a rotor so that you can align it as needed, (3) use 2 separate antennas. Another alternative is using a non-directional antenna with lowers your signal gain a bit but can pick up different signal directions.

In my experience, an outdoor antenna is the way to go, just get it as high as you can, above the roof line if possible.
post #559 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-11-25, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I just got a few more questions for ya if you dont mind. Would the Directional CM 4228 be better then say a smaller unit that looks sort of like a a unit with just a bunch of striaght metal rod's ( i know bad description)? Also, my house is just over 40 feet tall ( when dish installer came he used a 40 foot ladder and it reached just under the gutter). I have a very clear line of sight from my roof to the CN tower. Nothing in the way except the ocasional tree many Km's away.Do you think i should roof mount the unit or setup a pole mount thats higher then the roof ( mabie 10 feet?) also.. would it be ok to mount near my satellite dish, or should i mount it further? BTW.. the cable run will be about 50 feet.

Thanks in advanced!
post #560 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-11-25, 10:33 PM

Generally speaking the larger the antenna, the stronger the signal, and visa versa. The CM4228 is popular because the gain is good for the size of the antenna (UHF only). I can't really comment on the smaller antenna you've described since I have no experience with it.

By the sound of your setup, I think you would be fine with a tripod or similar mount on the roof. Just make sure the antenna has a good site line to the transmitter. I've never had a satellite so I'm not sure of any possible interference, do you intend to operate both? Many people with good antenna reception find they want to save the money and cancel the cable or satellite.

With any setup, I highly recommend having someone on the roof try a few locations and directions with someone else watching the TV. If your TV or tuner has a signal strength indicator that really helps, too.
post #561 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-11-25, 10:36 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boavista
So my question is if i invest in a good OTA OUTDOOR antenna will i be able to better get these channels?
You'll find lots of great GTA reception info in this thread that I've moved your posts into. You'll get tons of OTA information and answers to your questions in these links:
post #562 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-11-25, 10:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boavista View Post
once in a while i watch shows on my LCD/6100 Receiver using a cheap RCA indoor antenna.
I'm in a 6th-floor condo near Dufferin+Steeles with a clear SSE view, and I get all the locals and most of Buffalo, just missing WKBW and WNYO. Due to condo regulations, I have a CM4221 INDOORS . I recently got a Zenith Silver Sensor (highly-rated indoor antenna), and I find that it's just as good as the CM4221, and a lot less ugly . It actually gets FOX, a station that the CM4221 can't get, because the ZSS is small enough that I can move it around to find "the sweet spot" for reception. A better indoor antenna may help a lot in your situation.

Quote:
I get ( after vigorously positioning the antenna) CBS, ABC, CBC, CW and if i point in the oposite direction i get FOX and PBS, Suntv all in HD. So my question is if i invest in a good OTA OUTDOOR antenna will i be able to better get these channels?
A few questions before I can give better answers...
  • Do you have a clear view to the SSE from your roof, or even better, from a window? A clear window view would be nice for an indoor antenna.
  • Can you see the CN Tower from your place?

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #563 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-11-25, 10:59 PM

I wont be cancelling my satellite because i still want my Premium channels like TMN as well as tsn, etc.. I just wanted to have Sim-Sub free prime time television I have a Pretty clear sight for SSE, and I have a Perfect unubstructed view of the CN tower from my roof top. unfortunatly i dont think getting a different indoor antenna will help because the rooms windows face North. Also, my tv does have a siginal meter for OTA channels.. And i find its more relyable because it shows channels Like ABC and ocasionaly PBS witch my 6100 reciever wont pick up siginal on.
post #564 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-11-26, 06:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I have a Pretty clear sight for SSE, and I have a Perfect unubstructed view of the CN tower from my roof top. unfortunatly i dont think getting a different indoor antenna will help because the rooms windows face North.
Looks like you'll need an outdoor antenna pointing SSE for the OTA Buffalo stations. I suggest a CM4221 (or a CM4228 in fringe areas). A UHF-only antenna is sufficient for digital reception in the Toronto/Buffalo area. Do *NOT* get a yagi, as it tends to be very frequency-specific, often optimized for one specific channel.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #565 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-11-29, 11:22 PM
Rookie

Ossington and Dupont

Looking at installing an outdoor antenna at Ossington and Dupont. Does anyone have experience in this area? I would like to try and get some Buffalo channels.

Currently using indoor antenna with pretty good results if the weather is good and no one bumps it. Live in a 2 story house. Planning to put it on the roof--haven't been able to get up and see about view of CN tower yet but think with a pole should have little trouble. TV will be in the basement.

Thinking of getting either the CM4221 or 4228. Wondering about need for a rotpr or preamp? Any advice would be great.
post #566 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-12-01, 12:49 AM

Ok i got my unit today and it looks identical to the channel master.. but its called something else. I was playing around with it tonight INSIDE the house and to my suprise just holding it i was able to get CBS,ABC,FOX,CTV,Citytv, suntv,CW hd, and a few more. Pretty sweet results! im going to be mounting it outside tomorrow and i bet that will work out even better! with me luck
post #567 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-12-01, 01:04 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackmah View Post
Thinking of getting either the CM4221 or 4228. Wondering about need for a rotpr or preamp? Any advice would be great.
Looking at maps.google.com, I'd say to aim the antenna parallel to Ossington "southbound". Ossington isn't due north/south. It's actually NNW / SSE, which is almost exactly what you want to aim to get the Buffalo stations. The CN tower will be to the left (east) of Buffalo, as seen from your place. If you get a 4221 you probably won't need a rotor. The possible exception is CITY-HD. 1200 watts is a joke; your wife's hair-dryer probably has a higher rating. The 4228 is more directional, and is more likely to require a rotor.

Just for giggles, can you try an indoor antenna on the 2nd storey, and post your results to the indoor forum? You may be shocked.

post #568 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-12-01, 01:28 AM

ok after more messing around, As long as i point Straight south. I mean like flat against my south wall south i get all the Toronto+ NBC,cbs,fox,PBS,ABC,CW. Only one im not getting to ever come in is Mytv 34.1 dont know why but o well. Going to fine tune it outside tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys!
post #569 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-12-01, 01:53 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Just one other thing, Boavista: if your OTA results look promising enough that you want to try for more improvement and your budget allows it, I'd suggest not using a BEV 6100 box (nor even a 92xx) for OTA because the tuner performance just doesn't match that of a top line Samsung or similar OTA STB with the newest ATSC chipsets.

Here's a comparison I posted quite some time ago when I had a 6100 and an LG OTA STB:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/42186-atsc-converter-boxes-non-hd-non-recording-post210456.html
post #570 of 2955 (permalink) Old 2007-12-01, 02:18 PM

I found the same results to. My bell box sucks for OTA. My tv's built in ATSC got more channels then bell could pick up. Funny thing.. The antenna got all toronto and buffalo HD channels simply by me holding it in my hand in the room ponited directly south. I went out this morning and set up the antenna in my back yard (i want it on the roof but its WAYYY to slippery and cold today) but all i could get to lock in was the toronto stations. Do you think this is a height problem because the antenna is only about 6 feet off the ground? or was i only getting all those channels in the room because of the siginal bouncing off the walls or what not.

Hopefully it warms up a little on monday or tuesday so i can go out there and set it up on the roof right above the room that i was getting all the channels in.

Tags
channel master

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.