ON - City of Toronto Metro Area <INDOOR Antennas Only> - OTA - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-02, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprungy
Unfortunately no balcony for an outdoor. Would a CM 4221 or 4228 help to improve Toronto stations and maybe get Buffalo if I stuck on in the NE facing window? The place I called doesn't allow refunds on them if I purchase.
As long as your facing N.E. you can forget about a 4221 or 4228 antennas.

They can't make up for direction. These antennas have to face the stations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-19, 04:35 PM

Smile Jarvis & Carleton area

Just to clarify from earlier, I heard the 22 stations were all possible stations to receive in TO not broadcast from CN tower. I guess that would include CN tower/Buffalo/Rochester.

Any way my results from 20 floors up is six stations:

5-1 CBC
9-1 CTV
23-1 CBS
23-3 CBS
53-1 City TV
66-1 SUN

When I ran program scan it didn't pick up CitTv for some reason. I thought I should get it for sure since I have line of sight to the CN tower so I entered the channel number manually and I was hoping to tune it in by trying my rabbit ears in different positions but low and behold it tuned in right away.

I tried manually entering other Buffalo channels to see if I get lucky but no. I got up to 40% signal strength on some but no lock. My threashold seems to be 65% to receive a signal reliably.

I have a feeling the downtown towers plus the office buildings lining University Ave from front to College are blocking the Buffalo signals eventhough I'm on the 20th floor.

The rabbit ears are misleading as I'm actually using the circular antenna at the base . Would the Zenith ZHDTV1 get me any more channels? I suspect it's more for close range and wouldn't help with Buffalo. I would really like to get NBC for the olympic coverage.

Anyone know when global is planning on starting to broadcast OTA?

Cheers
post #48 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-19, 05:14 PM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
synmag if your view south is clear, being 20 stories up should help with the tv signals from Buffalo ? If you have a clear view south try and move your antenna closer to the window.

With the older antennas Vhf gets the reception from the rabbit ears, Uhf is from the circular antenna that you have found out.

Getting a better indoor antenna will help as a regular circular antenna has no more than 2 to 3.5 db gain.

To get the best signal I would try a cm4221 indoor.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;

post #49 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-19, 08:33 PM

Synmag, Global should start broadcasting HD OTA in April 2006 (currently it
broadcasts analog OTA) and I'm pretty sure that Zenith ZHDTV1 or it's
clone Terk HDTVi will improve your reception. I had much better results with
them then rabbit ears.
post #50 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-19, 10:58 PM

thanks for the quck replies Yaamon and gg22

That's encouraging news. I will try to track these down locally. If global starts HD broadcasts in April that means I can catch the end of 24 season in HD unless I can get a buffalo station that carries it before then.

I don't actually face south as I have a N/W corner unit but I do see south from my living room and balcony. I'm may look into putting something external on the balcony but running a cable will be a problem unless I only use it during the summer and run it through the balcony door.

I'll report back later.....
cheers
post #51 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 09:11 AM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
synmag if there a building taller and in front of your north west corner try and point your antenna towards there.

Depending on the angle you are at and the building across you can get reflected signals from Buffalo.

Refelected signals seems to work best with a window facing north with a taller building copule of hundred feet away in front of your window.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;
post #52 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-20, 11:06 AM

I did read about that and I tried it briefly with no success. I will have to acquaire a better antenna first and spend more time experimenting with it. I don't really have taller buildings to the North. There is one that's maybe 22-25 floors up about three hundred feet away, after that it's the office buildings at bloor. When I picked out the unit I was concious of what view I will have and made sure there are no tall buildings around me .

Problem is it will probably take me a few weeks to buy an antenna and start playing with it.
post #53 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-25, 01:51 PM
j2k

Lakeshore and Islington area

Lakeshore and Islington area (north of Lakeshore)
Results with Nexxtech 1501880 amplified antenna and KWorld ATSC110 PCI tuner.

- Reliable reception of the canadian channels: CBC, CBC French, CTV, CityTV and SunTV (CKXT52) (signal strength in the 90 range)
- reliable UPN and PBS from Grand Island (signal 70-80)
- Not too bad ABC, CBS (signal around 60, CBS better)
- Almost ok FOX (40-50)

Didn't get NBC at all and I'm wondering if they are broadcasting.
The only problem is that if I position the antenna to get most bufallo stations I loose CityTV and CBC French. In general the US reception was very sensitive to the position of the antenna (and rotation of the front element).

Antenna indoors, on the first floor. Pointed towards Bufallo more or less through a window. There are some obstructions - like garages, houses etc, but nothing really tall.

I'd imagine that with an outdoor antenna the reception would be very nice.

Tested at night, good weather (at least on this side of the Lake). I didn't have a chance to check how reliable the signal is during the day yet.
post #54 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-26, 11:45 AM
Veteran

j2k,
Welcome to OTA. Those are great results for an indoor antenna in a window.
You'll probably find reliability sucks with weather, especially in the summer. Are you planning on an Outdoor antenna?
post #55 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-26, 06:57 PM
j2k

Hi!

Yes, I was pretty surprised that I was able to receive those US stations. I did some more testing yesterday, and at least at night I can get over 70% on UPN, CBS, ABC, FOX and PBS but I'd have to hang the antenna in the middle of my bedroom . Otherwise I loose FOX and ABC. I still didn't even get a blip from NBC. Stations from Toronto come in very strong - over 95 except for the CBC French.

Generally the indoor antenna was a test to check if it makes any sense to get the outdoor one. I guess I'll upgrade in few weeks. The forum is a great help!
post #56 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-30, 05:33 PM

Jarvis & Carleton area: Here's my interim report with my experimentation

I picked up the 150-1880 indoor antenna recomended in several threads just to see what happens as it could be returned. First one I broght home had a broken pin in the cable. The repalcement one did not pull in ANYTHING! I think this one must be broken. I will be picking up a thrid one at a different location hoping for better results.

I also picked up a Jensen indoor antenna to try as I was frustrated with the 150-1880 ones. It didn't pull in any extra channels but it did improve reception of my existing channels by about 10-15%.

In the mean time I tried puting my circular one on my balkony and I was able to get PBS 43-1 43-2 43-3 reliably. I then tried it high in the NW corner of my unit (inside) right next to the window and if I aim it just right I can still get PBS. Interestingly I lost citytv in the mean time. It comes in strong on the balkony but I can't get it anymore indoors where I got it last week.

I noticed in some posts people say they get better reception on warm days so I got to wonder if temperature makes a difference as it has been colder the last few days. I would think even if it makes a difference it would be significant for Buffalo not for the short distance to CN tower!

Also I looked at a map and discovered that I don't have a line of sight to Buffalo as it's to the East more than I thought. I thought since Toronto is tilted (North/South isn't true N/S) and I face W I could point my antenna S/W which would be true S in the direction of S. That's not the case. Buffalo being more to the East cancels the tilt effect of true N/S. It seems I need to put the antena on my balkony to have it face directly Buffalo at best.

In hopes of getting NBC (olympics are looming) I'd like to try the CM4221 but I don't want to waste money on it if it can't get NBC. I'm not really interested in all US channels other than NBC for olympics and PBS. Anyone with a CM4221 willing to come by to test my reception

I'm also concerned if I have enough time to pick up the CM4221 in time for the olympics if I do decide to go with it.
post #57 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-30, 05:47 PM

Not sure where you are located, but the better antenna is the CM4228. Look in the threads on this site.

Yes -- the direction is S.S.E.
post #58 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-30, 10:03 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synmag
I picked up the 150-1880 indoor antenna recomended in several threads...
Who recommended that antenna? I would have tried a Silver Sensor, but then again I pretty well disapprove of indoor antennas anyway... a CM4221 will make a world of difference, or if you can a CM4228 as intrac suggested.
post #59 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-31, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Who recommended that antenna? I would have tried a Silver Sensor, but then again I pretty well disapprove of indoor antennas anyway... a CM4221 will make a world of difference, or if you can a CM4228 as intrac suggested.
I searched for indoor antenna and found a thread where several people tried it and got a few US channels. There was also a link to an engineer in the US who tested it along with other indoor antennas and said it was the best bang for the buck for number of channels received and signal strength in the indoor category.

I got the third 150-1880 and while this one "worked" it wasn't any better than the Jensen one and it's a lot uglier too.

Stampeeder having read hudnreds if not thousands of posts on this recently I am clear about your feelings onindoor antennai .

Problem with the silver sensor is I can't get it localy so it's not returnable. Anyone with a silver sesnor in the carleton/Jarvis area? I can offer the 150-1880 and the jensen one to try in return before I take them back.

Since I'm in a condo the cm4228 is way too big and yes I'm considering the cm4221 next. Do you know what the deapth of the 4221 is? If I were to put it flush with a window how much do the bow ties stick out infront of the grid?

I also want to try another one I think it was an RCA which some people got at best buy (forget the model number) and had decent results with it indoors. Time to do that search again.

What got me excited was that on my ATSC tuner's channel line up many digital channels show up that it senses but there is not enough strenght to pull them in. It only puts a picure up above around 60% where the reception is rock solid. It doesn't bother with weak signals. 2-1 4-1 6-1 14-1 21-1 among others show up with minimal signal strenght and unfortunatelly I can't tell what the strenght is as below 60% the meter just says unlocked and no percentage is shown.

My enthusiasm is somewhat dampened by the fact that it now seems my own building is blocking some of the signals since Buffallo is SE. It seems really counter intuitive as I have to drive west to go to Niagara Falls but since the QEW turns back towards east on the south side of the lake it's true. The map doesnt' lie.

Anyway I'll keep my hopes up and keep trying.

cheers
post #60 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2006-01-31, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrac
Not sure where you are located, but the better antenna is the CM4228. Look in the threads on this site.

Yes -- the direction is S.S.E.
I'm downtown in a condo at carleton and Jarvis on the 20th floor. The 4228 is not workable for me. I will write a letter to the condo board to see if they would entertain the idea of mounting one on the roof of the building. HDTV ready tvs have been on sale for a long time and as more more and more programming is available I'm sure there are many other people who would benefit from it if it can be logistically hooked up to the buildings cable network.

Tags
antenna problem , basement , indoor antenna , ota , vhf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.