ON - City of Toronto Metro Area <INDOOR Antennas Only> - OTA - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #196 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-01-13, 02:07 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ants View Post
Also noticed that our apt. building has a large UHF antenna on the roof...
Are you sure its a UHF TV antenna? Which direction is it pointed? Can you describe it or post a photo to a website?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-01-13, 08:35 AM

Hi Stampeder,

Glad you asked, I took a photo with my cell phone yesterday, so please excuse the poor quality picture. The top antenna seems to be pointed towards the CN tower. Just not sure what part is the front or back. Have a look:

post #198 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-01-13, 04:16 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The lower one is a single-channel VHF antenna that looks to be pointed at CHCH 11 (analogue in Hamilton) and the upper one is a VHF/FM. Sorry, no UHF signals coming in through those antennas.

If your building is from the 1950s or 1960s I'm guessing they've probably been up there a long time, because CHCH 11 once had an extremely directional broadcast contour to avoid Toronto, believe it or not! Torontonians needed big VHF antennas like that to get it. The antennas would have fed into an MATV system so that each suite would have a wall plate with twin lead screw lugs for running to a tennant's old TV.

On the other hand, if your building is fairly new then I guess you'd have to ask someone about why they're up there.

post #199 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-01-13, 05:00 PM

Hi Stampeder,

Thanks for the clarification on the type of antenna and all things OTA. You are right on the money...building is in fact from the late '50's - early '60's and I would assume it's been there a very long time.

Given the great results I am getting with a set of rabbit ears, I really do not need to explore outdoor set ups. Think I will just enjoy the NFL playoffs...

thanks
Ants
post #200 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 11:07 AM

North York facing North West

I live in North York on the 8th floor of a condo and own both the Philips PHDTV3 and the TERK HDTV1 indoor antennas. I found that both give mediocre results. The philips grabs pratically next to nothing inside while outside I get a few channels, but using such a powered antenna outside is not wise. As for the Terk, I found that I had absolutely no results whatsoever, but then I tried to take the antenna out of its stand and hook up the cable directly to the antenna piece (using a coupler) and that provided better results.

I live in an area surounded by condos all around me. I face North West. By placing my "modified Terk" outside on a chair, facing north at another condo, I get pretty much everything except FOX. That's the one I want to most !!! I have no problem getting channels NBC, CBS, ABC, CW, CBC, CTV and PBS, but never ever managed to even find FOX 29. Any suggestions???? that's the one I want the most. The analog version comes in poorly, but still in colour.

Some people in Toronto say that FOX is the most powerful feed they get, so I don't get it???
post #201 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 12:05 PM
Veteran

Wutv-dt is using a directional south transmitting antenna so it has one of the weakest signals to the north.Their analog signal is much stronger.Try moving your antenna to make their analog signal sharp and clear and then try digital again.Using a building for reflected reception can be troublesome.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #202 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 12:34 PM

I finally managed to receive WUTV-DT !!!! I took Rob's advice and fine tuned the analog signal and this worked. While it's just a week signal (1 bar) the picture is somewhat steady. Perfect for tonight's 24 premiere.
post #203 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-01-18, 12:00 PM
Veteran

I have problems with fox depending on weather. I watched fox all day sunday, beautiful picture. Right at 8 pm, 24 was starting when i got breakup/pixelation. comes and goes.
It has been commented on before that some signals get better on cloudy/rainy days.
This is a combination of reduced intererence and a lot of your signal comes in by skip, bouncing between the lake and the clouds.
RF does strange things, read the forums on tropo/dxing.

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
post #204 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 02:21 PM

Help with set-up near the CN Tower

Hello from DOWNtown Toronto. I have have not seen a previous thread advising anyone located in the downtown east end of Toronto (Riverdale).

The CN Tower is about 4 kms / 2.5 miles WSW (compass bearing 248 degrees) from my home. In winter, I have direct line of sight from my top floor to the Tower – through the branches of a tall maple in my neighbours yard – obviously, in summer the foliage mostly blocks the path.
There are birch branches as close as 18-20’ from where I can mount a mast but they are relatively low and I could do some pole-pruning. I do not think I can clear the top of that maple about 60' away.

Grand Island lies SSE (compass bearing 164 degrees) and I figure I’m about 80km / 50 miles away. There are no tall condos to the south – clear line of sight towards the lake – but I don’t have the altitude of many of the contributors in Scarborough or northern Toronto area.

I was given a TERK TV55 antenna without a power unit, but given its reviews, I did not buy one - I am currently using only non-amplified rabbit ears with a UHF loop on top of the set and I’m pulling in some local stations. I'm a huge CRT fan and my Sony KD34XBR960N has built-in HD tuner.

I’m guessing that using a rotor to direct a long-distance antenna (to reach Buffalo) at the CN Tower would be silly ... so I also deduce that I’m the ideal candidate for a fixed dual antenna set-up.

I would appreciate benefiting form your expertise. (I won’t give Ted Rogers one single penny – so please don’t lead me in that direction.)

First-time 'poster' - hope I included all the right info.
post #205 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 02:35 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
downtowntoronto:

I have moved your post to the appropriate thread re: OTA reception in Metro Toronto for Indoor Antennas. I suggest you read the entire thread to find what others have done.

The first thing I would advise is that you ditch the Terk TV55 and get a good indoor antenna (if you must use an indoor antenna) such as the Zenith Silver Sensor. Also, if you haven't already, please read the OTA KNowledge Base and FAQ and download the OTA Antenna Comparsion Chart compiled by stampeder, the Moderator of the OTA sub-forum. They also provide a great wealth of information for anyone interested in OTA.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/anno....php?f=81&a=42

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-02-04 at 02:43 PM.
post #206 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 04:44 PM

Queen & Parliament

I'm downtown near Queen & Parliament, 6th floor, south facing, direct sight of CN tower. I have a Pioneer Elite Pro 1540 Plasma TV.

I got better reception by simply plugging in coaxial cable with about 1 foot of the rubber stripped off the end. A stripped piece of coaxial cable works better than the 2 antennas I tried.

I get NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CBS, PBS, MyTV, SunTV, CTV, CW, in HD, plus a few regular channels. The only important channel I do not get is CBC.
post #207 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 04:49 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
renecan:

Try reading post #205 just above yours, and follow the link provided in the post.
post #208 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 04:50 PM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
renecan I find that very hard to believe that you got those stations with just a piece of coax cable stripped. Never experienced results like that before.

Maybe a few ota hd locals, but not distance HD stations.

If you do then that one incredible piece of coax.

Can and would you mind posting a few pictures displaying your signal strength for Nbc, Fox and Mytv.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;
post #209 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 04:53 PM

Hello Cyclism,
Thanks for the prompt response. Very much appreciated.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear: based on forum feedback I have never bothered to hook up the TERK - I'm just using a basic set-top set of rabbit ears with UHF hoop.

I have read the OTA Knowledge Base and FAQ and the OTA Antenna Comparsion Chart. I have not yet found a forum addressing a location as close to the tower as my home, but the dialogue leads me to speculate that I should consider a dual antenna set-up because I would "overload" a long range antenna if I pointed it at the CN Tower. Would this be the best bet?

Picking a "long-distance" antenna to reach Buffalo with the help of the Chart does not seem difficult, but I do not see much advice for real close antenna set-ups partially screened by ^$*#*@(!! maple trees.

Am I posting in the wrong thread?
post #210 of 1724 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 04:58 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

We've had several results posts/discussions regarding OTA for folks living close to the CN Tower, so you should be able to find the info you need in the 2 Toronto Metro Area threads. Let us know how things go for you.

Tags
antenna problem , basement , indoor antenna , ota , vhf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in