BC - Burnaby, New West, Coquitlam, PoCo, Port Moody - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-06-07, 12:50 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

As I say, maybe you want to get 4DTV_HD (Greg) to drop by and do an assessment? See this post:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...&postcount=136

and here's Greg's DHC link:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ber.php?u=9535
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-06-07, 02:03 PM

Burnaby beside Lougheed Mall

I'm in the same area, I live in the towers beside Lougheed Mall, ground elevation is 185ft but I'm on the 11th floor facing south and west.

So far I've just tried an old RCA UHF amplified loop antenna and I can pick up KBCB easily. I'm using the tuner in my Acer AT3705 LCD-TV, it unfortunately doesn't seem to give me a strength or even tell me what the true channel number is. KBCB is @ 23% though the channel scan, it also pauses for a long time at 44% and 47%, I think one of those is KVOS though, because once i hit a sweet spot and it displayed "35-12" in the guide, but wouldn't tune in after that.

If I stick my head outside the west window and look around, I can see Burnaby Mountain blocking my view to Seymour, but I have a pretty clear view to the south and since KBCB comes in easily I think I'll be able to pick up the new channels coming off Orcas Island when they're up.

I guess Canadian HD is out for me, unless I'm able to pick up something from Victoria when their towers are up, if they're strong enough. Even if I were line-of-sight to Seymour, would I be able to get a signal with two other condos and three concrete walls in the way?

Do you think it's worth trying a silver sensor clone? Dell.ca has the Philips amplified model for $29 free shipping ... I'm in a condo and already have a dish, so I don't want to push my luck with a big antenna, but I could probably have a sharp shooter or one of the square shooters on my balcony -- Radio Shack US site has what looks like a small version of the square shooter (DA-5200) on their site as well, but I haven't found an review of it yet. I could try a CM4228 or 4221 in a closet or something, but I'd guess that wouldn't be so effective ...

I should try my luck with analog channels, I suppose, just as a reference.
post #48 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-06-07, 03:49 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I think they need to put up repeaters at SFU!

post #49 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-06-08, 12:47 AM

OK, I tried analog ... 24 KBCB and 12 KVOS come in perfectly clear. 17 CIVI and 26 CBUBT show up garbled with the amp turned on and aren't there with the antenna's amp off, 42 Channel M is totally unwatchable, and 32 CTV is almost but not quite watchable if I place the antenna in a sweet spot. So if the locals DTs ever boost their power to something decent, I might be in luck

Oh, and CHEK 6 is almost watchable as well, so there's hope from the third set of towers near the island.
post #50 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-06-16, 04:31 PM

Smile CBC and CTV DT Success In Burnaby With The Right Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler
My location is in the shadow of Burnaby Mountain. As I was expecting, I wasn't able to rx any reception from the Mt. Seymour HD tx towers... ...Would the installation of a Channel Master 4228 or Winegard PR8800 help in rx'ing CBC or CIVI? Would either of these antennas enable me to rx any of the Seattle station if I pointed it southward?
I purchased a Winegard PR8800 UHF antenna and mounted it on the north side of the house. I can partially see the east side of Burnaby Mountain so no trees or houses blocking the line of sight to Burnaby Mountain. If Burnaby Mountain wasn't in the way, I would have a clear line of sight to Seymour. Anyways, after connecting the antenna via a 50' RG59 cheap dollar store cable, I now receive both CBUT-DT(CBC HD) on 58 and CIVT-DT(CVT HD) on 33. I was very surprised about receiving CTV considering the transmission power is low.

My Sanyo tv doesn't have a % reading but a bar graph. With CBC, I'm about 2/3 of the full bar and with CTV it fluctuates between 1/4 - 1/3 of the full bar. In the few minutes that I was watching CTV, I didn't see any freezing in the transmission. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that. Bringing the antenna inside the house, I could not get CBC to even display. So, I don't think I'll be mounting the antenna in the attic.

So, it's possible for at least people in my area (Forest Hill, Burnaby) to receive over the air ATSC transmission from Seymour Mountain if you have the appropriate antenna.

Last edited by growler; 2006-06-16 at 04:53 PM.
post #51 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-09-11, 05:38 PM

North Burnaby

Hi all,

I got a new HDTV set with an ATSC tuner, so I thought I'd try to some OTA tv. I live in the North Burnaby area and have line of sight to mt. seymour. I first got an indoor Nexxtech amplified antenna and got nothing. I then tried the RCA ANT711 and can only get CBC reliably. CTV cuts in and out (mostly out).

My question is: Do I need a more powerful antenna mounted on my roof in order to get a better signal (especially CTV)? Or is it just not worth it?

Also, where can I get a better antenna locally?

Thanks
post #52 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-09-12, 01:54 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi BatKid, with a line-of-sight to Mt. Seymour its weird that the antennas you've tried have struck out on CTV, but their output power is ridiculously low so maybe you have to look at an outdoor antenna after all. You could send a PM to a DHCers named 4DTV who sells antennas in our area: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/members/9535-4dtv-hd.html
post #53 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-09-13, 11:28 AM

ZSS clone fixes the CTV problem

Just an update. I returned the two antennas and got a Terk HDTVi antenna from London Drugs (this is the only antenna I could get a hold of... a silver sensor clone).

My TV is in the basement and I plugged in the antenna next to the TV. To my surprise, both CBC and CTV came in nice and clear (very minor signal drop on CTV). So I guess the antenna makes a difference.

I must say... getting HDTV OTA is really something... I'll never look at TV the same way again!
post #54 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 04:26 PM

Burnaby Mountain Results

Hi All,

I just bought a CM4228 and received the following in HDTV with absolutley no dropouts (antenna is indoors facing south in a condo):

4.1 ABC
5.1 NBC
7.1 CBS
11.1 CW
13.1 FOX

Still can't receive CBC or CTV from up here, there is no line of sight to Mt. Seymour.
post #55 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 05:13 PM
DHC Supporter

That's very good reception Hamann, especially getting 4.1 ABC which I only receive when tropo is right.
Just wondering what ATSC tuner you're using and do you have a preamp with the 4228?
post #56 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 10:19 PM

My ATSC tuner is built into the TV, Samsung LCD LNS-4051D. There is no preamp, just CM4228 straight into the TV tuner.
post #57 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-10-19, 04:29 PM

anyone know how to receive analog CTV, where is the transmitter?
post #58 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-10-19, 08:05 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

CTV, CBC, Global, Channel M, and a few other analogue and digital TV stations all broadcast from Mt. Seymour. CITY broadcasts from Salt Spring Island. CHEK broadcasts from Victoria.
post #59 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 12:34 AM

stampeder,

I can pickup all major U.S. HD channels from my place on Burnaby Mountain (top floor of condo facing south/west) with a CM4228 and Samsung TV built in ATSC tuner. I don't get anything for CBC/CTV in HD. Any suggestions?

thanks.
post #60 of 606 (permalink) Old 2006-10-20, 01:45 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

hamann, are you in a signal shadow area in which there is no direct line-of-sight to Mt. Seymour due to Burnaby Mountain? Some people over in Coquitlam/PoCo have a similar problem, and people in SeaTac are really vulnerable to that for their local OTA stations. Could that be the issue?

Tags
4220 , g1483 , gray , gray-hoverman , hoverman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.