NB, NS, PE, NL - Atlantic Provinces - OTA - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 919 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb NB, NS, PE, NL - Atlantic Provinces - OTA

What's the difference between using an antennae or dish? I'm confused, but ready to go with OTA in my home. In Halifax. Eastlink cable is awful.

I have a SONY HDTV Ready TV 50" WIDESCREEN, an also want to hook up to my new 24" LCD computer monitor (dell-awesome).

i'd like OTA, and High Def.

thanks for your replies an help.
Dan (Atlantic Canada's Ocean Playground)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 919 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 11:27 PM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
Whoo not sure about that one.

With a outdoor antenna can you get any local stations from Maine ? Halifax looks like a good 150 miles from Maine so I doubt that you are able to.

If not then the chances are very slim to none.

Satellite would be the only choice.

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;
post #3 of 919 (permalink) Old 2005-11-05, 02:26 AM

I've inputed your coordinates in a website that tells you what DT signals you would get in Halifax. http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp

I would also have to agree that there is little chance of getting Maine local DTV. Even at 150 miles, you may get a PBS station.

post #4 of 919 (permalink) Old 2005-12-02, 04:12 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

St. Andrews, NB gets new channel 26

The CRTC has approved St. Andrews, New Brunswick's Channel 26:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/De...db2005-551.htm

And the upcoming station has been added to the Industry Canada database already, which I'll post to the OTA Forum in the weeks ahead.
post #5 of 919 (permalink) Old 2006-02-22, 02:05 PM

Do any of the Maine digital channels get picked up in Moncton NB?
post #6 of 919 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 11:46 AM

How about Saint John, NB? Did it work in Halifax?
post #7 of 919 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 12:57 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

CBC HD hasn't come up in Atlantic Canada yet, but you could ask Marc in the CBC HD thread if he has any info on the plans. With the CRTC hearings about the future of TV (esp. OTA) going on at this time we are all watching and waiting to see what happens. If a mandatory cutover date to Digital OTA is decreed, you will likely get the 3 major Canadian networks cutting over in the years to come. Let's hope...
post #8 of 919 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 11:42 PM

WMED-DT (PBS) 10 - Calais, Maine
Broadcasting at 3.5kW from 50m

That'd be it. Low power, low transmitter height, but still worth a try from Saint John or any closer to Calais. I believe Saint John is about 60miles from the transmitter
post #9 of 919 (permalink) Old 2007-10-08, 08:48 AM

OTA HDTV HALIFAX

Will we ever see this in Halifax?
post #10 of 919 (permalink) Old 2007-11-29, 06:20 PM

Thumbs down The HD status Quo in the HRM.

Regrettably, I don’t expect OTA HDTV broadcast signals to be available in the HRM anytime soon. The local affiliates of the networks have no reason yet to spend any money upgrading their equipment to allow for HD similcasting of content that is available in the format and probably will sit on their existing equipment until they are forced to upgrade by the fact that the USA is set to shut of NTSC in 2009. (Assuming that this does not get pushed back…)

Proof of this is the fact that the CBC offers HD content and full 5.1 audio to the markets that do have OTA HDTV and here in Halifax, you cant even get stereo audio out of the local broadcast signal because there gear has been in use since television began broadcasting in color.

Maybe the CRTC will get off their collective tails and start mandating that local broadcasters “get with the program” so to speak at some point in the near future. One can only hope.
post #11 of 919 (permalink) Old 2007-11-29, 08:35 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The Canadian cutover to digital TV is August 31, 2011. In the CBC's plans for rolling out their new digital stations Halifax is in the first group. Hang in there!
post #12 of 919 (permalink) Old 2007-12-09, 08:23 PM

HD OTA in Bas St-Laurent, Quebec

This may not be the right place to post it, but I figure the folks in New Brunswick would know.

I have a few people in the Bas St-Laurent area of Quebec who seem to be interested in HD OTA. The Bas St-Laurent area is north of Edmunston, NB.

The closest HD OTA station that I know about is SRC in Quebec City. Way to far. But, what about stations in Maine. In Presque Isle, Maine, I believe two stations are offering HD. Can those stations reach Edmunston,NB. And what about Bangor, Maine. can those signals reach into New Brunswick, or even Quebec?

I'm not from the area, so I have no idea.

My advice to them has been to hold off buying a ATSC TV until more stations are set up for the transition.
post #13 of 919 (permalink) Old 2007-12-09, 09:07 PM

Edmundston is in kind of a valley I have been there many times. If you can get a relatively clean signal of channel 8 WAGM analog then you might have some luck, but its unlikely even if you are on top of one of the hills. There are repeaters in Fort Kent for the FM stations so its highly unlikely that HDTV from Presque Isle would come in. The only other place in New Brunswick you would have a chance would be anywhere between St Andrews, Grand Manan, and St Stephen where there is a PBS station. Bangor is almost impossible unless you are on Chamcook mountain or out on Grand Manan or on the higher terrain between St Stephen and Mcadam. I used to get UHF TV stations out of Boston as far as Saint John right on the Bay of Fundy but only during strong atmospheric conditions in the summer. Bas St Laurent is way out of the way to get anything from Maine except a few FM stations
post #14 of 919 (permalink) Old 2007-12-09, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
In the CBC's plans for rolling out their new digital stations ...
stampeder, do you have a link to this information?
post #15 of 919 (permalink) Old 2008-01-05, 12:08 AM
Rookie

Any update to HD OTA in Nova Scotia/Halifax?

Does anyone know if its possible to get HD OTA in Halifax yet? If so, which stations?

Tags
antenna , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.