ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA - Page 47 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #691 of 701 (permalink) Old 2016-10-17, 05:27 PM

For PBS programming, you are probably too far to get the signal, however, I use to watch a lot of the programming through WNED's (PBS in Buffalo) website. They have most shows up in 24 hours or less and a good catalogue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 701 (permalink) Old 2016-10-19, 08:56 AM
Rookie

Yes, I figured I would be too far away from any PBS station based on my TVFool report. I have the DPTV app, so it is much the same as Buffalo PBS. My real focus is on whether I can get CKVR with an OTA set up, or just downgrade my Shaw sattelite to the Skinny pkg. with PBS add-ons; that is where I need some advice. Thanks.
M.M.
post #693 of 701 (permalink) Old 2016-10-19, 10:03 AM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Marshall View Post
Here is my tvfool report:

TV Fool

I would like to get CKVR for local news etc. Lots of trees and rock in my way for CKVR too.

What equipment do you suggest I look into ? I found a Digiwave 4 bay aerial on kijiji for $25. Or is it a waste of money.
Hi, M.M.

It is the real channel number that determines what antenna is needed. CKVR is on real channel 10, which is a VHF-High channel (7-13). The Digiwave 4-Bay aerial is for UHF (14-51), so it is not suitable for CKVR.

CKVR is very weak at your location. If you want to experiment, your best chance is with a high gain aerial like the MCM 30-2476 and a preamp. The 30-2476 is inexpensive, has poor assembly instructions, but usually performs well. Aim the aerial at 204 degrees magnetic and try to find a location for it that isn't blocked by trees.
Stellar Labs Deep Fringe Directional Antenna VHF-Hi HDTV 174 - 230MHz | 30-2476 (302476) | Stellar Labs

Outdoor HDTV VHF/UHF Antenna Preamplifier/Booster-Channel Master CM 7777 (CM7777)

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 2016-10-19 at 10:20 AM.

post #694 of 701 (permalink) Old 2017-05-26, 11:14 PM

tv antenna choice

Hi,
my tv fool :
TV Fool
Please advise my best equipment choice and how many channels possible?
thanks
post #695 of 701 (permalink) Old 2017-05-27, 11:06 AM

Location: Primary: Bradford ON, 6th Line and West Park Ave Secondary: S Legion Dr Buffalo NY
Iabusas

Your Tv fool report show very good conditions to receive 4 different channels:
Global CIII
CHCH
CTV TWO
CTV Toronto (analog)

The three digital channels in your Tv fool report will be easy to get (local obstacles like trees or tall buildings notwithstanding): CKVR CTV2 Barrie (rf10) in the south, CIII Global (rf7) and CHCH (rf23) in the north.
The two analog signal stations northwest of you are the essentially the same feed; CTV. I would aim to get CFTO 21 as its uhf signal will be less prone to interference

Antenna suggestions:
Aim a UHF antenna such as the Antennas Direct DB4e or a Channel Master 4221, north north west to optimize CFTO TV 21 as it is an analog signal and will be subject to snow and ghosting. CHCH should be easy to pick up.
You may be able to use a cheaper antenna such as a AD DB2e or a CM 4220 if trees or other obstacles are not blocking your line of sight to the northwest.
You will need a vhf antenna for CKVR in the south like a STELLAR LABS 30-2475 Fringe Directional Antenna (ebay) this antenna will also help you pick up CIII from behind.
You will need a Blonder Tongue UVSJ Antenna Combiner/Joiner/Separator (ebay) to combine the two antennas.

It may be possible to pick up CKVR with the UHF antenna alone. You may wish to wait to purchase the vhf antenna.
labusas likes this.
post #696 of 701 (permalink) Old 2017-09-04, 12:20 AM
Rookie

North Bay

I was thinking of purchasing a higher powered antenna (70 mile range) and I wanted to know if the Radio-Canada signal in Béarn (QC) would be attainable from my location given that it is posted at 64,7 miles according to my tvfool location.

TV Fool

Any recommendations?
post #697 of 701 (permalink) Old 2017-09-04, 12:26 AM
Rookie

North Bay

I have a passive antenna that I purchased earlier this spring, and I'm looking at purchasing a more powerful antenna in order to get better reception of the local CTV signal. I was however thinking of purchasing one of the advertised indoor OTA antennas that has a 70 mile range. I wanted to know if the Radio-Canada signal in Béarn (QC) would be capturable from my location given that it is posted at 64,7 miles according to my tvfool location.

TV Fool

Any recommendations or someone with experience that can provide feedback?

Thanks
post #698 of 701 (permalink) Old 2017-09-04, 12:19 PM
DHC Supporter

Welcome to the forum, NipissingOTA

Thank you for the TVFool report. It is only resolved to postal code, but it is accurate enough because your postal code area is small.

Your chances for reliable reception of CKRN-TV 3 are poor, even with an outdoor antenna. The CKRN Noise Margin is listed as -34.5 dB. It is impossible to receive signals weaker than -15 dB NM. If you are able to receive signals weaker than -15 dB NM, either the TVFool report is wrong or the signal has been enhanced by Tropospheric Propagation.

Its signal is blocked by terrain and the curvature of the earth. This is the CKRN terrain profile from the TVFool website. The transmitter is at the left and your location is at the right end.

TV Fool

Here is the terrain profile using different software:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKRN-DT

It looks like CKRN-TV3 will be moving to VHF channel 7 digital, but I don't know when:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...&callsign=ckrn

http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?r...s&facid=180085

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 2017-09-04 at 04:38 PM.
post #699 of 701 (permalink) Old 2017-09-19, 10:16 AM
Rookie

I appreciate the tips rabbit. Are there any other channels that would be realistically accessible with an antenna of this strength in my area? Has anyone had any luck with picking up signals through Tropospheric scatter?
post #700 of 701 (permalink) Old 2017-09-19, 10:58 AM
Veteran

Tropospheric scatter and Tropospheric Ducting are not the same thing.
I doubt scatter would work on a 6MHz-wide video channel in the VHF or UHF range. Ducting is seasonal, and so also would only work occasionally.
post #701 of 701 (permalink) Old 2017-09-22, 12:11 AM

Is anybody in Thunder Bay Ontario using an indoor antenna that can pick up the 3 ota digital channels. I have an old basic RCA antenna but it can pick up TVO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.