BC - Delta, Richmond, Surrey, White Rock - OTA - Page 52 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #766 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-05-10, 12:53 PM
Rookie

Hi Laurie

You've had great results - could I see your tvfool?

For you and everyone else - I'm dealing with this little annoyance on KVOS. I've tried repositioning my antenna, eliminating the cable run and tried different tuners.

What I'm seeing I don't really know how to describe - its like a shudder, or maybe a slight refocus. Sometimes its more noticeable than other times. It's most visible on things like faces. Is anyone else seeing this? Is it in the feed?

The only thing I haven't tried is a whole new antenna.

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #767 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-05-10, 01:23 PM

TV Fool. Not sure how to post mine but I'm at 49.08591 and -123.05522. The antenna is about 30 up on the roof.
I have also posted in my albums if you can get there, a comparison of my old and new antennae, and with and without the pre-amp.
laurie
PS love having a rotator to chase down wandering hot spots.
post #768 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-05-11, 09:23 PM

laurienicol's TV Fool Report. FYI.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

post #769 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-05-22, 10:56 PM
Rookie

New OTA member in Surrey/Newton area

New member... Just ditched my Cable service and went OTA. Bought a Phillips paper-thin antenna from Walmart (~$35) and installed on my TV. My house is on top of a Panorama Village hill and TV is ground level. When I put the antenna on ground level, only had 3 channels. Then started reading on this forum, as well as at tvfool and realized that the antenna height makes a difference. After elevating the antenna to about 10ft, got 11 channels:

2-1 CBUT (CBC)
8-1 CHAN (GLOBAL)
10-1 CKVU (CITY)
12-1 METV (KVOS)
12-2 (MOVIES)
17-1 CIVI2 (CTV2)
24-1 KBCB - intermittent
24-2 ? - intermittent
26-1 CBUFT (CBC FRENCH)
32-1 CIVT (CTV)
42-1 CHNM (OMNI)

djshag seems to be in the same/similar area and got somewhat similar results.

This is the first antenna I tried. Not sure if I should try another antenna, look for ways to re-position my current antenna higher/outdoor (I'm in a 2 story home, I could certainly wire it up in the attic or 2nd level).

-drdjuro
post #770 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-05-24, 03:06 PM

drdjuro
Nice start. You should be easily able to get the PBS station out of Bellingham. Panorama Ridge. Good spot to be. With a decent antenna, some , if not all of the Seattle channels should be reachable. How's your TVfool report look? I have a DB8e in Ladner but each half is a DB4 and each half is almost as good as a whole. There is an antenna chart on this site which compares and recommends antennas. And don't forget, that the number of connections and using the right co-axial cable ids important too.

Laurie in Ladner with a DB8e, roof mounted.
post #771 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-05-24, 05:42 PM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - Clearstream v1 antenna with HDHomerun DVR
Well done, drdjuro, looks like your research is helping you. As Laurie stated, there are a few more local station you may still be able to pull in. In addition to the PBS Bellingham, there is CHEK from Saturna Island and JOY-TV from Abbotsford. Your TV Fool profile will give you a better indication of how likely those are for you to pull in.

DO you know how to generate and post a TV Fool report for your location?
post #772 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-07-06, 02:34 AM

So what's with CHEX-channel 6?
I'm getting a solid 93% signal from the side on my south pointing DB8e, but lately the channel hangs up and doesn't let you change stations. But I get the solid signal but no picture or sound. Is there something new happening , or heaven forbid, is my expensive Panasonic plasma TV now obsolete.
I stopped even trying to get 12.2 SURSAGR when it started doing the same thing and took it off my channel list.

Laurie in Ladner BC
post #773 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 04:31 PM
Rookie

Antenna selection and pointing advice

I am new to this and was hoping for some advice. I live a the crest of the semi peninsula in South Surrey and I was hoping to get US stations out of seattle. Is this a reality?

I was going to buy a DB8E and point it solely at Seattle. In doing so would i pick up the north shore and bellingham from the back and sides?

Need amp? If you think a different antenna would be better let me know

Thanks in advance

TV Fool
post #774 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-07-16, 01:59 AM
DHC Supporter

I can tell you that I just finished a side by side comparison between my 10 year old stacked cm4228s ,DB8e and 91xg and the stacked 4228s is still the winner.
The DB8e was a close 2nd but did not out perform the old 4228s.
You will not pick up the Mt Seymour channels reliably on the back side of the DB8e when you're pointed to Seattle.
One thing the DB8e did well was combine channels from different directions, ie I pointed one section to Mt. Seymour and the other toward Seattle and got all Vancouver channels and channels 6, 12, 20, 24, and 28 from the South.
Your TV Fool is very similar to mine.
post #775 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-10-15, 03:06 AM

Can anyone check CTV (32.1) to see if they have this same audio issue? It occurs on CTV Vancouver on Bell satellite and OTA, but not on CTV Calgary on Bell. These are 3 recordings of the same program. The CTV Vancouver recordings have audio crackling sounds at the same time for both recordings.

#1. CTV Calgary on Bell TV: no audio issues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W0PZt89-oA
#2. CTV Vancouver on Bell TV: has audio issues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KGsZo5ZJA
#3. CTV Vancouver on OTA: has audio issues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThzvTiatCM8
post #776 of 780 (permalink) Old 2015-10-15, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Since the audio problem occurs whether over OTA or on Bell it is an upstream problem of both, so contact the station for comment. This is not an OTA issue.
post #777 of 780 (permalink) Old 2016-08-15, 12:51 AM

Does anyone know if KBTC finally cranked up the power in the past month? I was originally getting a faint 10-15% signal which prevented me from locking onto the channel during scans. Now I'm getting 85% on my amplified ClearStream Eclipse. I'm impressed with the quality of programming on the main channel as well as the sub channels of NHK and MHz. It's a nice alternative to KCTS and I'm happy with the additional channel selection. I'm surprised that KCTS doesn't have a transmitter close to the border considering the significant amount of donations from the Lower Mainland.

Last edited by glparker4; 2016-08-15 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Auto correct issue
post #778 of 780 (permalink) Old 2016-08-15, 02:22 PM
DHC Supporter

I have not noticed any signal increase for KBTC and I agree that KCTS should be better received OTA north of the border.
post #779 of 780 (permalink) Old 2017-04-29, 01:52 PM

BC - Delta, Richmond, Surrey, White Rock - OTA

I have a friend moving into a townhouse in the newton area, no external antennas allowed. I picked up a cheap Onn antenna and I get a few channels at my place and wonder what indoor antenna may be more robust. Thanks for advice. TV Fool is

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4c9d5f226f2

Last edited by dcinbc; 2017-04-29 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Indoor antenna?
post #780 of 780 (permalink) Old 2017-04-29, 02:04 PM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - Clearstream v1 antenna with HDHomerun DVR
Does your friend have an attic? If so, you may wish to consider putting a reasonably big possibly amplified antenna there, and then wire it to a conduit that you would install in the wall behind his TV.

Tags
antenna , balcony , preamp , tvfools , us channels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.