ON - Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Brantford, Haldimand - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 08:56 PM

Jarvis

well I am glad I started reading here
I have finished toying with my setup for now..
I am getting everything that is broadcast digital withen 90 miles..except City and toronto 1 out of toronto .. there is a water tower a few kms from me an I think that is killing me for those too.. I even added another section to my tower but still no luck.. now my 4228 is about 45 feet high..
I may get rid of my vintage channel master preamp and replace it with something newer..
thanks for the advice

C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-02-13, 12:46 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdncablmonkey
I even added another section to my tower but still no luck.. now my 4228 is about 45 feet high...
Any chance of some photos for the Pimp My Gear thread? We love tower installations here...
post #48 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-02-27, 01:09 AM

Downtown Hamilton

Alright I am new to this but here goes...I just bought a samsung sir-t360 off ebay without remote to use for OTA HDTV. Alright, I live in downtown Hamilton and am trying to get this all setup. For now, I have a philips indoor antenna that I have from back in the day. I will be buying a proper antenna soon but just as a test I decided to try it out to see if I could pick up any channels. I was able to pick up 5-1 clearly off the channel scan and it works perfect. Nothing else seems to be found on the scans. I can't manually choose other channels either because I don't have the remote. I am wondering why this 1 channel is coming in perfectly while no other channels are being found. Anyone else have this problem in the past? Also, because i can pick up this channel clearly, should other channels come in as well? Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

post #49 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-02-27, 01:17 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Welcome here, Santiagopr99 - what is your closest street corner in downtown Hamilton? I think the mountain and Niagara Escarpment are going to cause problems with Buffalo for your indoor antenna.
post #50 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-02-27, 02:49 PM

I live in an apartment building on the 14th floor where my balcony faces the mountain (Queen St. and Hunter St.) I really do not intend to keep this indoor antenna very long, but am more curious to know as to why ONLY 5-1 is coming in after a channel scan. Could it be my location? Thanks for you help though.
post #51 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-02-27, 02:58 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Your apartment faces away from Toronto, right? If so, I would guess that you're picking up a reflection of 5.1 on your indoor antenna from another building or maybe even the mountain, and that none of the other channels have the same conditions for that. Just a guess.
post #52 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-03-02, 08:19 PM

Ancaster - need advice

Hi experts,

I'm new to this. I read the antenna chart, but I'm not sure what antenna to get b/c I'm not sure of the distances. I live in Ancaster (Shaver Rd and Jerseyville Rd). I deduced from other posts (most people using ChannelMaster 4228) that it's in the Fringe or Deep Fringe range, but I want to be sure.
post #53 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-03-02, 09:48 PM

60 ish miles from Buffalo and about 40 from TO

Panasonic PT47WX53, Humax HFA100, Denon AVR 1610 surround, CM4228 Antenna, WD TVlive
post #54 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-03-03, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONSTP
Hi experts,

I'm new to this. I read the antenna chart, but I'm not sure what antenna to get b/c I'm not sure of the distances. I live in Ancaster (Shaver Rd and Jerseyville Rd).
I have a brother who lives on Hwy 53 near Dartnall Rd. He uses a separate vhf and uhf (Flying Arrow) with a rotator atop a 45 ft tower. He receives the TO/Buffalo channels all the time + some Rochester and Erie when the tropo is strong.
post #55 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-04-02, 11:16 PM

Dundas - The Valley Town - Reception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher
Just started playing a bit tonight, but with a Channel Master 4228 located in a spare bedroom in Dundas ON, so far I've managed.

Analogue: 6, 11, 36, 45 (Hamilton)
17 (WNED Buffalo)
Digital: 15-3 (Toronto 1 Hamilton)

Since I've managed to pick up one of the Buffalo analogues from Grand Island, I'm hoping that the digitals will also be possible, but no luck yet.

And I was a bit dissapointed to see Toronto 1 broadcasting a 16:9 digital signal, but showing the ABC feed of MNF in SD. I thought I had gotten lucky and actually had some OTA HD to watch tonight
Hey Streetpreacher - glad to see you got some of this in Dundas - I live pretty near the escarpment and i don't even get RADIO that well.

Before i go to the effort of upgrading any kind of antena or anything like that - can you tell me, do you live up on the hill or down in the valley below? I'm up near Tammy's there - and the reception is rubbish for just about anything, but i've not tried getting digital signals yet.
K
post #56 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-06-28, 11:22 PM

highrise in Hamilton

Hi all,
Been lurking a while, and am ready to get my OTA HD going and would like some help...

I live on the 15th floor of a highrise in Hamilton, I am facing east over the water and can see the CN tower on a clear day. I need some suggestions for pulling in decent signals- Antenna, indoor or a smaller outdoor, preamp, etc.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I don't think expensive BEV or Cogeco HD service is for me, I found it had compression blockiness and looked suspect, and I'm into games and movies more, but the OTA HD sounds great for casual viewing!

Any suggestions? I'd be willing to help anyone with PC or networking problems, I know a bit about OTA, but wanted to know if there was anyone in my area that has had good results and how they achieved them, particularly high rise dwellers
post #57 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-06-29, 09:18 PM

If you can see the CN Tower, you could place a pair of bunny ears in front of the windows, and you'ld pull in CBC, CTV, CITY, SUNTV (both hamilton and toronto) and the French CBC.

As for getting Buffalo channels, it might be more difficult, especially if buildings and the niagara escarpment are blocking the path the the Buffalo towers.
post #58 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-06-29, 10:12 PM

Cool, thanks, Much appreciated. What results could I expect from a better setup than bunny ears? Is a Channel Master to big for a balcony?
post #59 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-06-30, 03:57 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero HD
Cool, thanks, Much appreciated. What results could I expect from a better setup than bunny ears? Is a Channel Master to big for a balcony?
Have you read through the previous posts in this thread? I'd suggest reading through the Niagara thread too so that you have a clear set of expectations.
post #60 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2006-07-09, 01:35 PM

Woodstock - is Grand Island/ Buffalo do-able from here?

I'm also in Woodstock, but can get no results with a MiniState UFO on my deck (expected). I was hoping for a hint of reception with my FusionHDTV 5 Lite ATSC/QAM tuner in my HTPC, but will invest in a decent antenna system if I know Grand Island/ Buffalo is do-able from here. By my GPS, Toronto, Grand Island and Erie are all in the 70 ish mile range. I believe this is deepest fringe territory.

Scoltx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.