ON - Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Brantford, Haldimand - Page 154 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #2296 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2017-08-23, 01:06 PM
Rookie

I have been having problems with CFTO as well, it may be LTE interference, where did you get your LTE filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2297 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2017-08-23, 01:20 PM

LTE band interference doesn't seem likely on VHF channel 9. Unless you're extremely close (<100m) of a transmitter.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #2298 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2017-08-23, 05:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcinc2 View Post
I have been having problems with CFTO as well, it may be LTE interference, where did you get your LTE filter.
Channel Master.

post #2299 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2017-08-23, 05:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
LTE band interference doesn't seem likely on VHF channel 9. Unless you're extremely close (<100m) of a transmitter.
About 200 metres from my house stands a 10 storey building with many cell transmitters on top; it sits directly in the path of the CN tower.

If this isn't causing any interference, I'm not sure what is...

Nevertheless, putting in the LTE filter has made 9 rock solid as mentioned, and has also brought in another VHF channel - CKCO 13, even with the antenna aimed east.
post #2300 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 01:33 PM
Rookie

Well it seems to me the the LTE filter is helping keep a lock on CTV. So that is good. Has anyone noticed that 15.4 is broadcasting it's only colour bars and info but I wonder if CHCH is going to add some channels.

John
post #2301 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2017-11-11, 10:56 AM
Rookie

DB8e Reception Results Update - Hamilton Mountain

Since August when I put up a DB8e, Antennacraft 5Y713, Channel Master LTE filter, Channel Master 4-port drop amp, up on a 40 foot tower, and with the aim fixed east toward Grand Island, reception results have been very stable over the late summer and fall. Here are the channels that are rock solid no matter the conditions:

2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 17, 19, 23, 25, 26, 29, 35, 36, 41.

The following channels are pretty close to 24/7, with the odd time during part of the night, maybe a couple times (days) over the last few months when the channel would go black; usually a heavy tropo event:

13, 40, 47, 49, 57. Granted, these channels could be permanently pulled in if the antenna was re-aimed directly toward the transmitting tower.

The channel 42 CTV2 repeater out of Fonthill comes in most of the time, but since 35 is also a CTV2 repeater, no worries about trying to re-aim/trying to get it.

Next would be WBBZ (7) which comes in at night, probably 3 times a week.

Last would be 51 (ION), which comes in maybe once a week at night, more so during the warmer weather, probably more of a tropo channel being over 90 miles away.

Overall, continued to be pleased with results. The DB8e was the trick in getting 29 (WUTV), and the LTE filter really helped in getting stable VHF reception.

Might add in another LTE filter to see if WBBZ would be more frequent, it will pixelate even though the strength is decent.

Other than that, not much else to tinker with.

We'll see how things go over the winter months.
post #2302 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2017-11-11, 01:35 PM
Veteran

At my house I try to filter both FM radio signals and 700 MHz LTE signals.
7 * 108 = 756 MHz
8 * 92 = 736 MHz
9 * 88 = 792 MHz
7* 105 = 734 MHz

Start mixing all them combinations with strong TV frequencies and you can imagine all the mathematical possibilities.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #2303 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2018-01-25, 07:28 PM

4 years later..... It looks like either my preamp or antenna have developed an issue. I'm going to be doing some work this weekend. I'm currently using the db4e and the CPA-19 preamp. I'm considering going with two CM-4228's and the "juice" preamp.
post #2304 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2018-01-29, 05:47 PM
Rookie

I would try without the preamp; I've tried many (e.g., CPA-19, Juice) and the best is no pre-amp, using a drop amp instead at my location, 2.5 miles west of the CHCH tower.

Also, I have found the db8e tops. The 4228HD is an excellent choice too - but might be lacking in pulling power for the higher UHFs - which might be moot anyways when the transition occurs. I would try just one 4228HD - all the TO stations are pretty strong for the Hamilton mountain area. Or, I would go with a smaller UHF/VHF combo lower on your tower, aimed at TO - you might also get CKCO-13.
post #2305 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2018-02-02, 07:07 PM

Without the preamp it's impossible for me to get wutv. In the end I just replaced the preamp and kept the db4e.
post #2306 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 02:12 PM
Rookie

Hi, interested in getting an OTA antenna. I'm in Hamilton, near Ivor Wynne Stadium, living in a bungalow. I'm contemplating what to get at this point.

My location is around Lottridge, Beechwood area. Close to the Stadium, but north-west side.
I will have a J Pipe extending from the building just under the eaves, a 10' extension pole, which will bring me up to around 30 feet I think.
With the antenna up 30 feet, I probably won't have any eye of sight to the CN tower because of the bigger houses around.

For the last hour I've been looking up suggestions and came up with:
Duramex J-Pole
RCA TVPRAMP1R

Contemplating the CM4228HD because of the good results people have gotten, but it's quite pricey. Is it worth it?
Channel Master CM4228HD

I'm between those two antennas, it seems like the Channel Master is the one to go to, but I just don't know if it's worth the extra cost with the height issue. There are also trees on the property but not the way way I will be pointing it, based on TV Fools.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
post #2307 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 05:55 PM

It's unlikely you'll get anything from buffalo. What channels do you want to get? CTV is VHF so you'll want something with VHF.
post #2308 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 07:47 PM
Rookie

Lottridge and Beechwood

Being on the west side of THF is not good since the BUFs are coming from the other side. Try using TVFool to see exactly.

Nevertheless, the 4228HD is a good choice for your location. High gain for UHF, and some gain for VHF. All the TO stations should come in no problem, even CFTO.
Also, you should be able to get WNLO and Bounce (sub of WNLO) with a NM of +18 for your area, you might be able to snag WUTV too, but it's pretty weak.
One other piece of good news is that WIVB will be transmitting from Grand Island in a year or so, so you might be able to get it when they switch locations.
The south Buffalo stations would be pretty tough, maybe during good tropo.
And having THF near you, you might have to fiddle with the aim of the antenna, as the signals can bounce around.

I'm thinking WNED might be possible too since it transmits from GI too - funny I didn't see it on the TVFool for you area...

Last, try with and without the pre-amp.

Good luck!
post #2309 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 07:55 PM
Rookie

LTE Filter Update

I added in a second LTE filter and over the winter there has been less pixelating on VHF 9 (CFTO) - I can't remember the last time it happened.

We'll see how having 2 do over the coming spring and summer.
post #2310 of 2316 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 11:55 PM
Rookie

I also forgot to mention the other antenna I wanted to get!
Digiwave ANT2084

I'm on the north side of beechwood, but west side of stadium. I'm not exactly sure where True North is but I think I'll be clear of the stadium in the way the CN tower is situated. Though, anything South-East I might have a problem with since I'm just blocked by the behemoth they call the stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4it
Nevertheless, the 4228HD is a good choice for your location. High gain for UHF, and some gain for VHF. All the TO stations should come in no problem, even CFTO.
Also, you should be able to get WNLO and Bounce (sub of WNLO) with a NM of +18 for your area, you might be able to snag WUTV too, but it's pretty weak.
I'm unsure what "NM of +18 for your area" means. Awesome about the Grand Island stations!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try both with and without pre-amplification.
Now I just have to get the stuff, and try this out. I'm kind of guffed at myself for not mentioning the other antenna in my first post. Would the CM4228HD be still the one to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1
CTV is VHF so you'll want something with VHF.
I'd really like to get UFH at least since there are a lot of channels on it, but it'd be nice if either of those antennas covered VHF or both for that matter. I think that channel master does both.

Cheers. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.