MB/SK - Winnipeg, Brandon, Regina, Saskatoon, Prairies - OTA - Page 77 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1141 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-02-27, 02:53 PM

I really wish channel 35 was CTV2 or something. Or that CBC could broadcast their documentary channel on one of their sub-channels. It would be nice to have a few more OTA options than we have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-04-05, 04:55 PM

I am looking to finally pull the plug on Shaw having slowly weened the kids off the family channel etc over the winter and now they're pretty much solely on Netflix and our Plex server. I have a 2 story home with an old antenna mounted in attic that allows me to grab CBC (6-1), CKY (7-1), CKND (9-1) and CityTV (13-1) clearly. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to see other channels or not (I'm ignoring the french CBC, the SD channel and Faith TV. Should I be getting more channels that this? I made a Stealth Hawk and it gets the same channels as the old antenna so I've left the coax connected to the big old array.

My plan is to use a HDHomeRun device with Plex DVR to record the TV's shows we watch and just run a coax to the TV for live TV (sports?).
post #1143 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-04-05, 06:48 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Should I be getting more channels that this?
I doubt it. KNRR is a lot weaker and signals with a NM of less than -15 dB are impossible to receive because they are buried in the Thermal Noise Floor. If you are able to receive signals with a NM of less than -15 dB, either the tvfool report is wrong, or they have been enhanced by Tropospheric Propagation.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

post #1144 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-04-16, 11:13 AM

Think the transmitter at KNRR (12) is only running about 200w. That was a while back though, was chatting with the engineer about their tower lights. Also there is a lot of interference from channel 13 that kills 12 farther north. A good yagi pointed south from Winnipeg "might" have enough side-lobe rejection to still pick up KNRR but won't likely be reliable.

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #1145 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-05-29, 11:58 AM

Is CKY off the air? Picking up WDAZ on 8 and CHMI on 13 but no CKY on 7 VHF today!
Sent the Engineer an email, will update asap.
>Their engineering team is looking into it. Hope it is an easy, simple, and inexpensive fix...

Last edited by Cham; 2017-05-29 at 12:50 PM.
post #1146 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-05-29, 06:03 PM

CKY seems to be working now.
post #1147 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-05-30, 06:31 PM

Didn't hear back from the Engineer about what happened. Working fine now here too.

post #1148 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-07-21, 10:35 PM
Rookie

KVLY

Last night I received KVLY 11.1 (uhf44) in Winnipeg. The signal was solid for 30 minutes or so. Uhf panel antenna on my roof facing south. Exciting stuff!
post #1149 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 09:21 AM

Last few scans I am missing CBWF/D (UHF51/sub ch3) from Winnipeg. Is it off the air? It's CBC's French channel. No sub-channel on their other transmitter (ch 27)
Also likely transmitter issues due to weather (?) for CKY channel 7, back on this am but was intermittant last 36 hours. Suspect ice covering the antenna caused transmitter shutdown due to high SWR...

post #1150 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 06:30 PM

CKY was off the air for me Thursday evening prime-time and came back sometime after midnight. I checked my other channels on Thursday and they were fine, but CBWF was a little weak (7 out of 10 bars) I just checked it again and it's 10/10, but occasionally bounces down to 7 and back up to 10. CBC English (UHF 27) is solid at 10.

I didn't have any problems with CKY on Wednesday.
post #1151 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 06:32 PM

With the upcoming repack on the horizon, Winnipeg viewers should be e mailing KNRR to see if a channel switch from rf12 to another uhf channel would help the co channel interf. which prohibits canadian viewers picking up the signal.

@62 miles away it should be a no brainer for this station............
post #1152 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-10-29, 06:29 PM
Rookie

Even in their 316 kW analog days, KNRR’s Grade-A contour fell short of Winnipeg. Red River had replicated KCND-TV’s 1960-75 coverage right down to tower height and site, which had been based on overly optimistic expectations about Winnipeg indoor reception in 1960 and would never deliver it now.

Red River will probably maintain the status quo on KNRR until something changes. One thing might be the pressure U.S. broadcasters are putting on their government for Canadian cable companies to be subject to the same retransmission consent arrangements they make with U.S. systems. This is something they want included in the NAFTA negotiations. If KVRR/KNRR can undercut other Fox affiliates and finally (after more than 30 years) get the CRTC’s blessing for cable carriage in Canada, they could make a bit of money out of Winnipeg at last.

4.44 kW from 431 metres AGL, 10 kilometres or so west of Pembina: Enough to deliver a reliable signal to the Shaw head-end on the south side of Winnipeg? Or would they need to do something else— microwave, fibre optic, UHF frequency, power increase on RF 12?
post #1153 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-11-12, 03:18 PM

Having ch 13 broadcasting so close to the city pretty much pushes FOX 12 out of the market. This was likely a strategic move by the CRTC and local broadcasters. If Shaw were allowed to carry KNRR I think they would be using high bandwidth carriage such as fiber unless the studio at Fargo decided to uplink to satellite, which I do not believe they are doing now. There are other FOX affiliates that uplink their signal though; likely for low budget smaller local cable companies etc. Someone would have to take on the cost of up linking fees and/or fiber data, the latter likely being the cheaper route.
Maybe KNRR/KVRR already streams real time 24/7? Their webpage indicates a live news stream so I suspect they do, but not likely available for public use.

post #1154 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2017-11-12, 09:00 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the insight!

Interestingly, there was a plan that might have used adjacent-channel interference from channel 13 to further marginalize KNRR in the Winnipeg market. When the channel 13 licence was up for grabs in 1985-86, CKND owner Canwest was actively backing the Manitoba Public Television bid, which proposed using low-power/low-tower specifications from either the University of Manitoba campus or somewhere near it. Even so, this would have meant that most Winnipeg homes using attic and rooftop aerials pointed south toward KNRR would have been receiving MPTV at maximum intensity as well.

The MPTV plan also would have kept the CBC-CKY-CKND local commercial TV triopoly intact, and would have been bad news to Prairie Public TV; though their involvement in the Winnipeg market was never as contentious as the Pembina and Portage stations' were.

CHMI-MTN's founding owners certainly had a financial interest in marginalizing KNRR, and intervened to the CRTC to keep it off Manitoba cable systems. But I think their interest in channel 13 was largely to get their hands on the last available VHF allotment in southern Manitoba at a time when VHF stations still had a competitive advantage over UHF stations.
post #1155 of 1157 (permalink) Old 2018-03-25, 08:59 AM

KNRR Fox ch 12, wasn't working (receiving but no picture) for a few days. Rescanned and receiving fine now. Something must have changed in the data stream, maybe something to do with sub-channels, PIDs etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.