Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

OTA: Great Lakes Area DXing, Tropo, Atypical Reception

243K views 2K replies 62 participants last post by  majortom 
#1 ·
This thread is the place for our members to report unusual TV reception based on Tropospheric Skip, Ducting, or other atmospheric phenomena, as experienced in Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec during 2016.

Please remember to tell us the local time at which the Tropo was experienced.

Previous threads are here:

OTA: Great Lakes Area DXing, Tropo, Atypical Reception 2012-2015 (closed)

and here:

OTA DXing, Tropo, Odd Reception, Weird Weather: 2011 & Previous (closed)

West Coast tropo is extremely rare, but we'll continue to use the following thread for that area:

OTA: West Coast DXing Tropo, Atypical Reception

#2 · (Edited)
Great tropo again tonight right now, most of Cleveland, WBNX, WQHS, WVPX, WEAO, WJW, WNEO, WVIZ rf26, WGGN, and the rarely seen WBGU. All of Erie, some Rochester WROC, WXXI, and WYDC Corning NY.

Edit: 8:30am Same results as above now except Pittsburgh's WPXI and WTAE coming in along with WKBN Youngstown.

Edit: 9:10am Just got the weirdest thing ever. On a space between rf27 (global I was receiving) and rf26 (WNYB I was receiving) I got a channel that listed itself as @0-183, signal strength was good, in the 70's, no picture or sound.

#4 ·
I use the tuner in my Panasonic TV. I did look to see what was on the channel line-up in my program settings but it was just 27. I suspect it was bad data coming from Global rf27 CIII 27-1-2, Global are notorious for bad info and glitches.

BTW, welcome to our new DX thread for 2016, it's started with a bang already thanks to El-Nino!

#5 ·
yeah some pretty good catches here Yesterday AM between sunrise and noon.
Normally don't see these much at all even with Summer time ducting/tropo.
AM of 1/8
28 WCMZ Flint,Mi
44 WWJ Detroit
45 WDIV Detroit
50 WPXD Detroit

#8 · (Edited)
Stations will still be broadcasting long after the auction, I wouldn't fret yet.

Good Tropo this am 8:00am, Cleveland, WQHS, WVPX, WBNX, WDLI, WGGN, WNEO and WJAC Johnstown which now has, Me, Comet and Grit as subchannels.

Edit: 12:00pm Pittsburgh booming, WPXI, WTAE, WPGH (which now has Antenna TV on 53.2 and Grit on 53-3), WPCW and WKBN/WYFX Youngstown.

Edit: 6:15pm Hits on WWHO and WBNS Columbus, locked but pixellated.

Edit: 6:50pm WEAO, WVIZ tonights's looking spectacular!

#9 ·
Picked up WVPX, WBNX, WQHS, WGGN so far tonight, hopefully it'll be a long night though!

7:41pm - WJW
8:18pm - WBGU
8:41pm - WNEO
9:27pm - WJBK
9:54pm - WMYD
12:37am - CHEX, WXXI, WSTM, CIII27, WROC

#12 ·
Between 3 and 4 AM
Peterborough came back again this morning

30 WEYI Saginaw,MI
45 WDIV Detroit
50 WPXD Ann Arbour
28 WUAB Cleveland
51 CHCH London
48 CFMT London
31 CITY Woodstock
13 CKCO Kitchener
12 CHEX Peterborough
35 CHCJ Hamilton

#13 · (Edited)
Good to see ya Brightonian!

Similar for me, nothing new but a few rarely seen, WOIO, WRLM, WCMH Columbus and something trying to come in on rf18, my guess is WISE, gets to 15% and dies...........grrrrrrrrr.

It's pretty neat seeing all these political attack ads on Ohio stations, they have their primary on the 15th so it'll be wall to wall from here on out.

Edit: WOUB Cambridge Ohio

#14 ·
Got a few more between 7-7:30am but nothing new:

28 WUAB
29 WDTB
42 CKVP
50 WQLN
50 WEAO

7:58am - 21 WWTI
8:07am - 49 WDLI

#15 · (Edited)
Getting Rochester very strong, WBGT, WROC, WXXI. WBGT has ID again.

Lots of missing Toronto's so hopefully we aren't done yet!

Edit: 8:35 am WKTV, WSKA rf30 WYDC rf48

P.S. Swinging west still getting Columbus and that mystery rf18, point at it Orbot, you'll likely get it!

9:20am WSYX and CKWS coming in through the back of my antenna, that's a first!

9:30am WCPO Cincinatti, only the 2nd time for that!

#16 ·
P.S. Swinging west still getting Columbus and that mystery rf18, point at it Orbot, you'll likely get it!
Oh, just saw your PS now. I've also been getting a mystery rf18 since last night but can't seem to lock onto it... darn.
Picked up a couple western ones:

11 WTOL Toledo
16 CHWI Wheatly

#18 ·
Got three RF21s since last night:

10 WHEC Rochester
11 CKWS Kingston
21 WBNS Columbus

#19 ·
Way to go orbot!! I've had the same thing with both RF 45 and RF 25 since last night. WDIV, WROC, and WEAO for RF45 and WLAJ, KDKA and CBLFT on RF 25. Come to think of it I've had this on RF 15, RF 19, RF 28, RF 30, RF 36 and RF 50 since last night. Impressive results but no new channels!!

#22 ·
Good job! My best is 8 transmitters on RF30, but I think you have more transmitters in total (plus longer distance record).

Got a couple more myself but still nothing new:

7 WWNY
12 WICU
16 WSEE
24 WJET

#23 ·
Got three RF21s since last night:

10 WHEC Rochester
11 CKWS Kingston
21 WBNS Columbus
WHEC is on rf10 and CKWS is rf 11 and rf30 unless I'm missing something?

It's been and still is an awesome day. Still getting Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Youngstown, Johnstown, Erie, Buffalo etc.

I just need an rf18 aed I'll have hit every rf, most with 2 channels! Most frequent rf today has been rf 48 (WPXI, WYDC, WSYX) .
Does anyone know if WPNT out of Pittsburgh has ceased operations? It was usually an easy get, way easier than WPGH and WPCW but haven't seen it.

#24 ·
@11 37am now no WKBW now WGRZ,WNYO,CIII,Omni1 strong too 60% on my LG.

using my 2nd ant the 4 bay clone up about 18ft no amp.

funny that Im jumping over Clev. and Erie and getting Buff.

nice distance from me to Buff.

@11 44am now mapped a Citytv 31.1 but no pic,2 CIII 6.1 and 29.1 and WKBW is back.Alot of unstable signals out there.

#25 ·
Those hops" are cool! Didn't know there was a low powered rf27 in Cleveland, dang one more I gotta get!

Nice grab Orbot on WWNY, still haven't gotten that one, WBBZ is still boooming here.

From everything I've read LG has the most sensitive tuners, I've tried a few set top boxes and none work as well as my tv tuner (panasonic), closest was the HDhomerun but it couldn't pull WGRZ in the winter so I returned it, wish I had done the same with the Hauppage950q.

That mystery rf18 Orbot, was that looking due west? I was getting something but no lock, I suspect it was WISE.

P.S. CITY Woodstock has been pumping out bad data this am, I get it 100% all the time and sometimes there is audio but no picture.

#27 ·
Not likely, I can't see ANYTHING from Detroit due to my location, farthest West I've ever gotten is WBGU...I did get WANE once but it didn't resolve.

Looking at Hepburns maps this tropo should last till tonight with it getting REALLY strong to the west of us later this afternoon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.