OTA: Great Lakes Area DXing, Tropo, Atypical Reception - Page 35 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #511 of 528 (permalink) Old 2017-11-18, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I have not scanned for a month and a half
I hope all is well, besides yesterday you haven't missed much. I am still blown away by Orbot's Nashville catch. I've been pretty frustrated that my long distance results are almost always to the east, yesterday proved that that isn't always going to be the case.

Let's hope we have some warm spells this fall/winter, the repack's coming and we only have a 2-3 years to max out our transmitter totals.

P.S. I saw Google, Facebook etc are complaining to the FCC about the Sinclair/Tribune merger and trying to slow down the repack preventing the quick rollout of 5G wireless, one thing they mentioned was Sinclair owns Dielectric, the largest antenna company. The other beef is this will slant news broadcasts to be shaped by Sinclairs political agenda.

Computer Cos. Ask FCC to Hit 'Delete' On Sinclair-Tribune | Broadcasting & Cable

Sinclair-Tribune Merger: What To Know About Local News and Trump?s FCC | IndieWire

189 transmitters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 528 (permalink) Old 2017-12-03, 10:25 PM

Scanned in 73 channels on my first scan tonight. Transmitters at around 100 miles from my location are screaming in at full strength, even though the live propagation paths differ from my results. It must be the dense fog tonight, I guess. It looks to get even better later.
post #513 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 11:03 AM

Picking Up Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Youngstown and Johnstown, nothing new although WTAE got rid of THIS-TV and replaced it with Cozi on 4-2.

11:30am Altoona is now cooking

189 transmitters

Last edited by Zank Frappa; 2018-02-15 at 11:35 AM.

post #514 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 07:44 PM

Picking up a couple things now too: WJBK7/WDIV45 Detroit, CIII29 Oil Springs, CTS14/TVO18 London.

GH10 UHF up 40', Winegard 7698P VHF-HI, CM7777, rotatable mast
post #515 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 08:05 PM

It's been awhile... but I also am getting some SW Ontario/Detroit.
RF45 WDIV, RF31 ION, RF 43 WTVS and RF29 Global.
post #516 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-02-15, 08:51 PM

A bit of a burst of tropo to mid michigan in this fog that we have maybe more to come later...........

Lansing WILX rf10,WLNS rf36

Flint WJRT rf12

@7pm..........
post #517 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-02-16, 04:11 PM

Nice to enjoy some winter tropo. All of metro Detroit were booming in last night. Some Lansing (WILX and WLNS), WIVB and WNLO Buffalo which don't show up often here, and everything off the CN tower which also are not that often.
DetroitTVFAN likes this.
post #518 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-03-18, 08:29 AM

Good tropo out of Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I'm getting WDLI on rf23, or at least I think that's the rf they're using as WNYO is still percolating and visible on rf49. WVPX is I guess the first station I've ever gotten that has broadcasted on 2 completely different virtual channels, 23 and 17. Doesn't count as a new station but it's kind of cool.

WIKIPedia says that WVPX would broadcast WDLI on a subchannel resolving to vc 17-1 that's what I figure is going on.

Pittsburgh is roaring the usual WPXI, WTAE WPNT coming in, not likely to heat up but tonight could be good.

P.S. WDLI filed to extend their time on rf49, I wish the FCC would tell these lottery winners to pound sand.

EDIT: 8:55am Erie's RF16 has add ENN+ on 35-3

189 transmitters

Last edited by Zank Frappa; 2018-03-18 at 09:45 AM.
post #519 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-03-25, 12:54 PM

So, with WIVB set to go dark on April 16th who is going to snag the first new channel on rf39? WADL out of Detroit looks like it is the closest to our market, I'm hoping on some West Virginia or Allentown PA station.

Has anyone upgraded their antennas or added to their antennas? I'm pondering building that 7 foot tall low VHF hourglass antenna, it's simple and would weigh next to nothing.

https://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loo...4fu1z1.goose_s

My only concern is I haven't seen a combiner that would work with my FF4 and allow the high vhf to pass through, or am I missing something?

189 transmitters
post #520 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-03-25, 02:16 PM

Another freq. going dark is WCMZ PBS flint rf28 Apr14. It was a real blowtorch and with it gone will free up even rf27 and rf29 back my way from adjacent ch interf. We will see what tropo brings..........
post #521 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-03-25, 04:04 PM
Veteran

I'm presuming that you intend to combine the Lo-VHF Hourglass-Loop with the FF4...which would cover UHF and Hi-VHF Band. All you need is a ZHLSJ (Combines Lo-VHF Port to UHF+HiVHF Port): [HLSJ seems to have been discontinued]
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=zhlsj

Note that ZHLSJ is DC PASS only on the Lo-VHF Port [so passes ALL Low Freqs below FM Band, down to DC. SO if you are using a Preamp, the ZHLSJ would go on it's INPUT....and if you anticipate (or experience) Lo-VHF Preamp Overload Issues, let me know so we can work out an alternative arrangement:
https://www.blondertongue.com/amfile...product_id/132
Zank Frappa likes this.

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands
post #522 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-03-26, 08:32 PM

I'm still missing WCMZ so I guess that's it. Zank, for RF39 also keep your eye on WKOI from Dayton OH area (~600kW), that's the only other RF39 I've picked up. Also some low powers to keep in mind like WBYD 15kW Pittsburgh (you already got that one right?), WIVM ~8kW Canton OH, WOCB <2kW Marion OH (Columbus area), WRGB 15kW Schenectady NY, WJKP 0.314kW Corning NY. Haven't made an FF6 yet, but hopefully this summer. Also thinking about making a VHF-LO antenna later for repack tropo.

GH10 UHF up 40', Winegard 7698P VHF-HI, CM7777, rotatable mast
post #523 of 528 (permalink) Old 2018-03-26, 10:09 PM

@holl_ands , thanks VERY much for that info, that's exactly what my aim is. I did not realize there was a combiner that would allow me to do this! I won't be using a pre-amp as I've tried a couple with no success, I live VERY close to 2 transmitters that obviously are overdriving my tuner.

Thanks again for your great advice and your fantastic website showing all the various antennas.

@orbot , I thought you had that Flint station, sorry, yeah I got WBYD, I guess WIVM is a possible candidate, I got it's sister station WIVN a while back and it's further away so.....

I'm really hoping we have a good year, times ticking on the repack and it'll be a LOT more challenging once that happens.

P.S. New channel on WBBZ!

189 transmitters
post #524 of 528 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

Does anyone know what's going on with WVTT? They're back broadcasting but only showing a bouncing Western Digital logo "WD", channel doesn't resolve even at 80%SS and a clear picture.

Pretty good tropo, the Southern tier is booming , Erie, some Pittsburgh's,Rochester, getting antsy to pick up something new on rf39.

189 transmitters

Last edited by Zank Frappa; Yesterday at 09:21 AM.
post #525 of 528 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Veteran

I have never seen a blip of it, ever... he doesn't have an LOS path to Buffalo...Too much terrain in the way...
are you seeing it on UHF or the repack VHF channel 11?
Now that the weather is getting nicer, I may head up to to the roof and swap out the
Stellar Labs VHF Yagi for the Antennacraft Y10-7-13 that user "China Dog" gave to me.

I think they are supposed to retune to VHF Ch 11 at the WGRZ Tower location.

Edit: below is their latest required Children's Programming Report.
Do we really think they air anything, let alone children's programming?
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...7013c&goBack=N

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.