OTA: Great Lakes Area DXing, Tropo, Atypical Reception - Page 30 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #436 of 445 (permalink) Old 2017-09-12, 09:49 AM
Rookie

Thanks Zank, those listed were all discovered during a random 3:45am scan due to a neighbours alarm blaring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #437 of 445 (permalink) Old 2017-09-12, 11:41 AM

Some tropo cooking this morn., new one for me WLWT rf35 Cincy............
post #438 of 445 (permalink) Old 2017-09-12, 11:48 AM

Crazy tropo morning. At 11:40 am, I am getting WUSI from Olney Illinois some 450 miles away. At one point I had KDKA in at 100%, than a few minutes later it became WRTV from Indianapolis. Getting Cincinnati as well.

post #439 of 445 (permalink) Old 2017-09-12, 11:59 AM

Must be the remnants of Irma stiring things up............hope its not over.
post #440 of 445 (permalink) Old 2017-09-12, 10:49 PM

"Must be the remnants of Irma stiring things up".

It's a LOT more complicated than that.

We live by the Great Lakes and every fall they provide us with this huge tropo engine, temp inversions. I doubt Hepburn would ascribe much of our recent tropo to Hurricane Irma, most of it is from warm lakes and cooler skies.

Look at his maps, they show higher tropo propensity where warm bodies encounter cooler areas Lake Erie is 72░, Lake Ontario is also warmer than the air at night.

Not trying to pick a fight SpitsFan but I doubt this Hurricane has much to do with this recent Trupo.
post #441 of 445 (permalink) Old 2017-09-13, 09:22 AM

No prob. Frank...........I just thought it might have a bit to do with Irma since I was getting some stuff from Cincy way and they were getting the rains from that hurricane just then.I know tropo has alot to due with temp inversions like you said.
post #442 of 445 (permalink) Old 2017-09-13, 09:51 PM

It probably had some effect but I don't think it was the driver. I'm no expert but from what I've read on many dx sites large stable airmasses like we've had the last few days are really engines when you have heat inverting from the lakes. I could be full of )(*^ , but that's my interpretation.

I really wish Mr. Hepburn would grace us with his wisdom because his maps, as I've said many times, are right more than wrong, which is why I have such respect for meteorologists.

I read a book a few years ago called "The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail--but Some Don't " and there was a chapter on weather prognosticators and how much more accurate it is today in comparison to even a decade ago. Use of super computers to crunch weather data has made normal weather, hurricanes and other extreme weather events more predictable and it keeps getting better.

Take the last Hurricane, they said Irma would turn North and slow down 4 days before it did exactly that, the fact they got the eyewall track wrong by a piddling 30-40 miles is what deniers of science will cling to while those of us with open minds marvel at the fact they called it way early on a 185 mile wide storm.

I know this is seriously off topic but it's relevent given our increasing success at tropo capturing . Mr. Hepburn and Jon Harder offer proven scientific tools to help us grab those far flungs, just as the NOAA/NHC provide communities with life saving warnings.

The one thing I love about our group of tropo hunters is we collaborate and share real time info, much like weather stations, sure, there are bragging rights with some captures but I've never seen anyone hold back info that could help the group.

Like all things in life we benefit when we cooperate and band together.

P.S. Getting some major tropo out of Youngstown, WKBN, WYTV and WFMJ are solid, zero Pittsburgh's but Cleveland is also booming.

P.P.S. The other morning I awoke to WNEO's "Classic Arts Showcase", it was around 6-7am and they had some dude, I don't think it was Zamfir because his hair was jet black, wailing away on the pan flute......what demographic of early risers demand PAN FLUTE music????

These are the sort of questions that kept George Carlin and me awake late at night!

Last edited by Zank Frappa; 2017-09-13 at 10:18 PM.
post #443 of 445 (permalink) Old 2017-09-14, 09:47 AM
Rookie

Great post Zank! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and passion....its appreciated!
post #444 of 445 (permalink) Old 2017-09-16, 11:46 PM

Got a weird one a few minutes ago. Was watching WKBN, which is strong and as I channeled down rf34 normally occupied by WQHS changed to City 57-1.

Getting some Pittsburghs and Clevelandsnothing new.
post #445 of 445 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 09:50 AM

Tropo is screaming from Cleveland, picking up WEKA and WQDI at over 80%ss. Getting some Youngstown, Pittsburgh and intermittent WWHO from Columbus.

10:05 I FINALLY got WUAB, didn't see a picture but it got to 18% showed me the call sign and then died moments later. Lot's of blank Toronto's, CBC, CFMT, CITY CHCH is gone, WEWS is trying to come in but haven't seen the call sign yet.

Last edited by Zank Frappa; 2017-09-18 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.