OTA: West Coast DXing Tropo, Atypical Reception - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 2012-09-15, 12:45 PM

be236,

CHEK-DT RF49 is in your TV Fool report if you hit "Only Digital"

And you'll need at least two 91XG to get it solidly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 2012-09-15, 12:59 PM

Yeah, I just noticed it now in my report... but its NM is so low (> -20dBm) that I have almost but given up on picking it up.

Currently I have an poorly made M8 that dont even see a signal mark on RF 49.

But I have a new problem, per my last posts.

With this M8, I was able to pick up CHAN 22 about 80% of the time with its NM at -8 dBm (amazing, huh?). Also I can pick up OMNI 20, and sometimes CBUFT 26 on "good" days... and these are NMs in -15 dBm or so... for 140km away!

But since KCPQ LD RF 22 came online to the south of me, now I'm getting interference of course and can't get either channel.

I'm guessing M8 can't block the side lobe or back lobe signals?

I'm considering ordering ONE 91xg as I know it's more direction.

If you look at my report, do you think it can overcome the stronger KCPQ signal from the back/side?
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 2012-09-15, 02:15 PM

Hard to tell for CHAN RF22, maybe by increasing the corner reflector size of the 91XG, who knows ?

There's a thread about that antenna here: Antennas Direct 91XG Hardware Hacks

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 2012-09-15, 02:27 PM

Well, with my current M8, I can still (sometimes) get RF 17 (CTV2) which is co-channel with another local RF 17 located to the front-side lobe, so I guess there is hope that I can still pick up my target channel with another closer transmitter tower on the same channel.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Re: Vu-160xr

be236 are you still using the stock balun on the VU-160XR. Does it look like this one: http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel.../5/200-490.jpg

That's the one on my antenna, though I'm going to try putting on the Channel Master CM 94444 high efficiency balun and see if it is an improvement for distant stations, because very little info is available about the Steren.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 02:56 PM

No, I dont think mine is like that. I've stopped using the VU-160 antenna pointed to BC. Currently I'm using it to point south to get my local Seattle channels and because it has VHF elements to pick up the three VHF channels down there as well (RF 9, 11, and 13).

To pick up BC channels, I'm using my poorly made M8, along with some generic balun. In that last few days with good tropo, I can occasionally pick up RF 20, 26, and 17, and sometimes RF 43. Rarely can I get RF 32. Just put my order in for 91XG and hoping that that is more directional to reject newly RF22 (KCPQ) south of me so I can get RF 22 CHAN again at 140km away.

Do baluns make that much of a difference? I thought all baluns were "equivalent" to any other?
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 2012-09-19, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUVAL View Post
be236,

CHEK-DT RF49 is in your TV Fool report if you hit "Only Digital"

And you'll need at least two 91XG to get it solidly.
Well, again, not sure if I have any hope of getting RF 49 (around NM -37 dBm)?

If my newly ordered 91XG can't pick up RF 22 CHAN, I would consider getting a 2nd one.

And to stack them, they just need to point at the same direction, have same length phase lines and be 1 metre apart?
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-06-17, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

RE: Any Dx Activity?

Anyone picking up any channels that don't normally come in?
It used to be just about this time when I'd pick up distant analogue stations, before the switch to digital. But I'm not finding anything digital.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-06-25, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

RE: Picking up VHF channel 4

At about 12:15 am, Wed June 25, 2014 I was picking up, in a snowy black and white, a distant analogue VHF channel 4 station broadcasting the Conan late night talk show. It broke up before I could spot a station call sign.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-06-25, 01:32 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

On the Canadian side I think the only VHF-LO Channel 4 station anywhere near us is an analogue peashooter over on Cortes Island but even Tropo would not likely deliver it to us. Maybe the RabbitEars site might be of use in tracking your station down since it could also be a U.S. low power analogue translator that will have to convert to digital soon.

Update: there are only 2 VHF-LO Channel 4 translators in the northern end of Washington State (in the Leavenworth and Chelan areas) but they are on opposite sides of mountains from us. After that, the nearest are in Oregon, so that's a dead end.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-06-25, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Picking Up VHF Channel 4

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it might be coming from a high power analogue transmitter in northern Mexico. Quite a few years back I picked up- quite clearly in the early summer- however briefly, KEYT-3 in Santa Barbara at over 1000 miles away. It might help that I'm not too far from the Pacific Ocean.
I'll check again tonight. The VHF tropo for me at my location had been VHF 2, 3, 4, and 5.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-06-25, 07:11 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Did you see any commercials on that station last night?

Another thing about seeing analogue broadcast activity on channels 3 or 4 is possible signal leakage from a badly cabled VCR or set top box configured to use either of those channels - it might be re-radiating some OTA or CATV programming from somewhere nearby you.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-06-25, 08:33 PM

Is Conan available in Mexico (there was no mention of Mexico on the wiki page)? I also don't think it's available OTA in the US, but is available OTA in Canada on CTV.

GH10 UHF up 40', Winegard 7698P VHF-HI, CM7777, rotatable mast
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-06-25, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Picking up VHF Channel 4

I've heard about signal leakage from cable companies, sometimes causing issues with OTA reception. Whatever it was, it was not a channel that I normally get because I looked through my regular channels and that was something else.
I don't know if Conan is broadcast in Mexico, or if there is an ABC affiliate there that could carry it. My TV has a feature- when the channel doesn't come in well- it mutes the sound, so I couldn't hear if it was English.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-06-26, 03:23 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

The NTSC analogue system has separate modulations/carriers for video and audio on the same TV channel. With long distance signals it was quite common to get the crackly sound while the picture was almost all snow, and sometimes it would work the other way around with a resolvable but snowy picture but no sound. Also there are no U.S. network affiliates in Mexico such as ABC. You'd have to have a satellite dish to watch Conan in Mexico unless you were very close to a U.S. border city with OTA stations. I'm still thinking it might be signal leakage from somebody's home gear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.