Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

NY - Buffalo, Southern Tier, Batavia, Rochester, Syracuse

110K views 348 replies 55 participants last post by  Jorgek 
#1 ·
For the past five years I have tested three Channel Master antennas for HDTV reception. I'm using a 50' steel tower with a 7775 Channel Master preamp, a 9521a channel master rotor and RG-11 downlead [to reduce line loss].

The first antenna was a 4248 channel master antenna and I was able to pick-up all Rochester NY channels, Buffalo channels recieved were channels 2,4,29,43 none from Syracuse.

I then installed a 4228 channel master and recieve channels 68 and 24 from Syracuse and intermitently channels 3,5,9.

My neighbor then gave me a new Channel Master 4250 which I gave a try signal strength was the same as the 4228 the only differance is that the 4250 was extremely directional and I thought that would help me recieve channel 5 out of Toronto because the physical channel for CBLT 5 is channel 20 and in Rochester the PBS analog channel is channel 21 I am experinceing co-channel interferance. The 4250 did not correct the problem so I took it down and put back the 4228. This is an experiment in progress, some channels are low power, some experiance co-channel interferance.

I always scan for digital channels between 6:00am-8:00am I have recieved digital channels as far away as Watertown NY. I used to recieve analog channel 27 Global from the CN tower but since Fox network in Rochester started broadcasting digitally on channel 28 it has destroyed channel 27.

I am no longer able to recieve any Canadian Broadcasts and its a shame because I always respect other peoples or Countys points of veiw, especially politics. I look forward to being able to recieve Free canadian broadcasts in the future.

Thanks for reading
Eddie

See less See more
#2 ·
at that distance and in that direction, you may have reduced signal for CBLT & CBLFT. They've been on half antenna for about a month now due to maintenance at the CN Tower.
Most of the GTA will not notice a difference, but coverage pattern changes slightly on half antenna.

#4 ·
NY - New York State Reception of Canadian Stations - OTA

I'm looking for advice on which antenna to get. I live fairly close to most/all Buffalo transmitters in North Tonawanda now that WNYO is on GI so I can get those fairly reliably with a simple indoor RS Bowtie ($4)- not bad! My question is -If I want to get Toronto stations OTA should I go w/ The CM 4228/ or Antennas direct- DB4- I know the CM is a 8bay and the AD is only a 4 bowtie. The antennas direct DB8 range is supposedly 55 miles. According to the Remote Central website I'm roughly 50 miles from the CN Tower in TO. Should I go w/ the Antennas Direct model and hope I can receive the TO stations or go w/ the CM 4228 to be safe?

Any help is appreciated - Thank You

#6 ·
jimdoo one of the important factors that will determine your Toronto reception is the path between where your antenna will go, and the CN Tower.

Are there nearby trees or buildings that would block a signal coming from the CN tower?

if there is a long field on the northwest side of your house towards Toronto and your antenna points straight across that field, its going to be much easier pulling in TO stations than if theres a forest 20 feet from your house. If you have obstacles that are close to your house, your only hope is getting a preamped CM4228 as high up as possible, and then hoping for CBC, and maybe a glimpse of CTV.

do you have any pictures by chance of what beside your house in the direction of Toronto?

#13 ·
Antenna Help

Thanks for your help and 026163 also - I ended up going w/ the CM 4228 and am glad I did -overall I'm happy I do get CBC at about 40% signal w/ this antenna on my roof pointing North thru a tree in my backyard. I will see what happens when the leaves fall and hope for CTV also! If this doesnt pan out I will plan on turning the antenna southward to get the Buffalo locals more reliably than w/ my indoor antenna I'm using now. Thanks again for your help!

#8 ·
Toronto from Albion, NY

I'm 30 miles west of Rochester, and receive Toronto 20 the best. I lost 40 CFTO by moving 4 miles east, and get analog 40 Rochester instead. I believe 27 Global is actually transmitted from around Peterborough; 41 Global must be in or near Toronto.

#11 ·
Eddie Wlosinski; It would be helpful if you stated your location. It appaers you are in the Rochester area. You mention what you receive, but no one knows where you are.
Also using those analog VHF channel numbers is sort of useless since we are talking about UHF allocations. I reconize some of the old analog numbers, but have no idea what the actual digital number is w/o looking it up first.

First time I have seen anyone mention using RG-11 for a downlead. Must be really serious about DXing.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

#14 ·
Canadian OTA in Bufffalo

Hey guys, great board, I have been searching around for about 30 mins and I cant see anyone talking about Buffalo people receiving canada stuff. I realize this is a Canadian site, but does anyone know if people in Buffalo can recieve say...CTVHD?

From what I read the signal is coming from toronto on the CN tower?

Any help would be awesome, Just got a new HDTV with a built in tuner.

#15 ·
Short answer is yes, CFTO, CBLT, CBLFT all in DTV should be easy to get from CN Tower.
CITY is low power directional, so really hard to get in Buffalo and CKXT (SUN) is really low power.
CFMT & CJMT should be up soon, from First Canadian Place. They were on but i suspect they had to shut down for testing the new transmitters & Combiner.

Good Luck!!

#28 ·
Canadian OTA from Buffalo?

Short answer is yes, CFTO, CBLT, CBLFT all in DTV should be easy to get from CN Tower. CITY is low power directional, so really hard to get in Buffalo and CKXT (SUN) is really low power.
I would not necessarily say its easy to get Canadian stations from Buffalo. From my experience - I regularly get CBC and nothing else. I have a CM4228 pointed North on my roof and a big tree directly in front of it. (If I had my way it would not be there) I do not have a rotor or pre-amp though. It all depends on your setup I would say. I belive videobruce has had similar results from the same area. To answer your question Brahmabull - Yes it's possible to get HD ota from Canada. It does however depend on your budget !

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
thanks, what is psip? Im assuming 5-1 is the channel, also overall is it more beneficial to get a VHF/UHF antenna over a UHFonly?

these are the two I can get today:

Terk TV5 (UHF/VHF):
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-K6AWZ2lj1U7/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=15920&I=209TV5

OR

The Phillips phdtv1 (UHF):
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PHDTV1-Digital-HDTV-UHF-Antenna/dp/B0007XDI54

I used the TV5 when I sold TVs at CC. Always worked well, never picked up canadian stuff, this was yrs ago though.

thanks again.

#21 ·
BrahmaBull, before we go any further (and please do not buy an antenna yet) make sure you click on the links in this post to get a better understanding of what the OTA situation is. Let us know when you've read through them because we can offer you some expert advice here. :)

#22 · (Edited)
BrahmaBull, a $50 range indoor antenna like the ones u listed will get u at max, all of the Buffalo networks. Even that's not always the case.

I don't want you to be misinformed and expect alot more than you should. Basically, best case scenario for Canada stations is: you get the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC, HNIC...etc) , and CTV. Omni2 may be a possibility. Buffalonians have had very little luck getting Toronto stations. (basically you need a good tower)

This will require:
- height (whether by chance u are in a very high area, or tower)
- elite UHF antenna like CM4228
- clear path to Toronto

that being said, a lot of this depends on your location. There is a guy in lockport who gets everysingle Canadian DTV station. Also i suggest PMing a guy on this forum named Jimdoo. He is from Buffalo, and has a CM4228, but can only get CBC from Canada. He has trees in the way between his antenna and the CN Tower.

Please inform us of your location within Buffalo, and what the path is like between where your antenna would be (your roof?) and Toronto. ie are there trees, buildings blocking the path, how high would you need to go to eliminate those obstacles...etc

good luck

#23 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the help, Spent a good amount of time on that AVS board. Anyways, I ended up buying the TV5 antenna before I seen this post :D , I have a 30 day return window so I'm not too worried.

From spending an hour or so with this antenna I get all the standard buffalo stuff. nbc, cbs, abc, fox, wned with great signal. 5.1 CBC HD doesnt come in but I do get a signal reading. 38. Does this mean I have a chance with this indoor antenna? At what reading does it need to be to decode?

I had seen that PDF and didnt understand it too much, looks like I would qualify for deep fringe trying to hit CTV on 5.1, so what antenna would work if this indoor one doesnt cut it?

To answer your height question, Im in a second floor apt, I wonder if I could mount a tower on my porch? lol might look a little ridiculous

#24 ·
first of all, remember that "CTV" is a seperate Canadian network on 40-1(9-1) which you shouldn't worry about yet.......It's CBC on 5-1 that you want to get, for HNIC...etc

The fact that you get a 38% signal on CBC with your antenna is a very GOOD sign, that CBC is reachable from your location, but again you'll need an outdoor antenna. You wouldn't happen to have an old steel antenna on your roof already would you. You basically just need something higher up on top of your roof or something, and aim it towards Toronto. I would recommend a CM4228, since those are very cheap in the US, no more than 60$. Then just run some RG6 cable (as short as possible) from your roof to your tuner.

Also please consider that reception can be much better at this time of year when there are no leaves on the trees. It would be awful for you to have CBC and then come April, May, you lose the signal. If there is a big forest between your house and Toronto, please let us know...etc

#32 ·
Pre-amp?

I'm wondering if anyone in the Buffalo area has ever received more than CBC without a pre-amp. I now have installed a rotor which heightened my CM 4228 slightly and was hoping for CTV- No luck- :( I'm thinking at this point a pre-amp is required! Any feedback is appreciated.