NY - Buffalo, Southern Tier, Batavia, Rochester, Syracuse - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #196 of 208 (permalink) Old 2015-02-25, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Red Knave - that works good too!

I can get NBC from where I live, no problem, but would be nice to get an additional game every week because I am cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 208 (permalink) Old 2015-03-02, 10:54 PM

Location: Primary: Bradford ON, 6th Line and West Park Ave Secondary: S Legion Dr Buffalo NY
Dxing:

I added a Research Communications pre-amp (mounted indoors) to my Winegard 9263 vhf/uhf combo and pointed to few long-distance targets.
My zat502 tuner seems to perform better than my Samsung tv tuners. It reports Signal Quality and Signal Strength

Wjet rf24 Erie 100% Signal Quality 53 % Signal Strength solid
Wsee rf16 Erie 32- 100% Signal Quality 33-39 % Signal Strength

The tuner has a manual scanning feature that allows to scan a selected channel. It quickly responds with "no signal" when there is nothing in the air but "thinks"
about weaker signals ( it measures the signal quality) as it tries to lock.

I was able to get the tuner to" think" about

WICU rf 12 Erie
WHEC rf10 Rochester
CHEX rf 12 Peterborough

BigDaveyl: perhaps Chex rf 12 could be a good alternative to CBLT rf 20 for Le Hockey.
If my tuner could sniff it in South Buffalo, it could work for you in on the lakeshore.
post #198 of 208 (permalink) Old 2015-03-10, 09:41 AM
Rookie

Hi Chinadog,

I have gotten channel 12 once, in the morning right after sunrise. Haven't had much luck since. The only issue is that channel 12 transmits less power and it looks like there is a hill in between the transmitter and myself.

I do have a Winegard 8200U so the gain on VHF and UHF is pretty good. I don't know how much more gain I can get by putting up a 91xg or DB8e/Y10-7-13.

post #199 of 208 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 05:21 AM
Veteran

So...ran in to a bad jumper feeding DC power to my preamp a week or so ago. In the process of fixing that I pulled the Antennacraft UHF/VHF antenna down. Replaced it with an Antennas Direct C2V someone gave to me. Just wanted to see how one of those did here. Worked pretty well for the two days I left it up. I then replaced that with a Single bay GH with no reflectors so I can get ION in Batavia at the same or similar aim that I get some TO stations. That was a week ago.
Yesterday, I was trying to help someone on another forum with weak single digit Noise Margins across the board, and decided to try and get VHF 9, which is 4 dB Noise Margin in my tvfool. Similar 1st knife edge path to his weak Noise margins.
I removed the VHF dipole and diplexer assembly from the C2V and hung it 2 feet below the UHF GH antenna. Mid afternoon reception of RF 9 was around 16 dB.

I really wasn't expecting much help from it, being just a dipole, just wanted to show that it could be received with a simple dipole...
but so far it's been pretty stable and has exceeded my expectations.
Keeping an eye on it to make sure it's not just the summer weather playing tricks on me here.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #200 of 208 (permalink) Old 2015-07-14, 01:15 PM
Veteran

Pretty crappy weather today, rainy, thunderstorms, etc... and no sign of tropo / ducting on hepburn's page. Yet the simple dipole still seems to be able to pull in CFTO on RF9...

post #201 of 208 (permalink) Old 2015-07-14, 01:35 PM

Location: Primary: Bradford ON, 6th Line and West Park Ave Secondary: S Legion Dr Buffalo NY
As you know, I am in a lower-lying area not far from you. With my Winegard 7698 Vhf-hi/Uhf combo, Rf-9 consistently registers 36- 48% in signal strength on my ZAT 502HD tuner but signal quality during the day ( and sometimes in the evening) is unreliable: I still have some experimenting to do with filters.

I have set-up a few systems north of Toronto that combine a homemade vhf-hi dipole ( dollar store rabbit ears) with a good ( commerically made) uhf antenna? Works quite well to pick up rf9 30 miles south and rf-10 24 miles to the north. Without it, vhf-reception becomes unreliable.
post #202 of 208 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 02:19 PM
Veteran

chinadog, I took a quick peek, looks like you are about 30 feet lower ground elevation than I am (580 ft vs 610 ft). RF9 does come and go with weather, but I am still impressed I can receive it at all with just a simple dipole.
I am probably gonna wind up with a fixed yagi for that at some point.
I don't mind having uhf on a rotor, but I really hate relying on a dual band antenna (what I was using previously), where optimum Az for uhf will never be the same as the optimum Az for VHF.

post #203 of 208 (permalink) Old 2016-07-24, 02:56 PM
Veteran

ON - Niagara Peninsula - OTA

Think I may have fixed CFTO here. After ~ 10:30 AM CFTO fell off the map as it has been every day for it's daytime status. I brought the home brew SBGH down ~ 11:30, and secured the elements a little better. In putting it back up, I raised it a few feet, increasing the vertical separation between the UHF antenna and the Stellar Labs VHF yagi. There is now about 4 feet vertical separation center to center,

Could just be the weather, but CFTO has been hangin in there at 18 to 18.5 dB SNR so far since, which is unheard of during the daytime here since my CFTO issue first arose.

post #204 of 208 (permalink) Old 2016-07-24, 10:08 PM

Interesting re the vertical separation. I think I read somewhere that the distance should be a min of 3 feet to prevent inter-action.

FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, Avenger PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR
post #205 of 208 (permalink) Old 2016-07-26, 11:02 AM

Re: CFTO fix

Hoping to hear that your CFTO improvement tweaks work long term. I, too have been looking to stabilize CFTO. Last week I fiddled with a Kiztech 500 (variable gain 0-36 db and a .85 noise figure). I used it in place of my AD CDA4 distribution amp (7.5 gain "low noise") i did not detect any real improvement. I could only use about 1/3 of the available 36 dbs of gain before overloading the tuner.

So I am considering :

Re-deploying an antennacraft y10 7-13
mounting the Kiztech pre-amp closer to the antenna (at the roof tripod)
increasing the height with a guyed mast (would the signal gain be nullified by inceasing the signal from the Grand Island transmitters and the LPs from the Seneca One tower?)
a channel 9 notch filter/injector

Last edited by chinadog; 2016-07-26 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typo
post #206 of 208 (permalink) Old 2016-07-28, 08:16 PM

CFTO reception July 28 8:11 pm

Wingard combo 7698 at 30 ft
two fm filters, winegard ut2700 tunable uhf filter
Kiztech 500 adjustable gain pre-amp (40 ft downstream from antenna)
pre-amp is set at about 30% (+10 db) of available power (30db)

fairly steady 17.5 snr
Cm7000 tuner SS:45 SQ:23-60

Last edited by chinadog; 2016-07-28 at 08:29 PM. Reason: accuracy
post #207 of 208 (permalink) Old 2016-07-29, 11:09 AM
Veteran

I have noticed the antennas direct FM Traps don't seem too waterproof.
So today I pulled mine out and replaced with a single MCM Electronics 33-341 FM Trap.
FM Trap | FM-88 (FM88) | Distributed By MCM

Splitters, Attenuators, Filters, Diplexers, Other Signal Gear
It's basically the same design internally. It's not looking too hearty weatherproof wise either, as the rear cover doesn't look sealed. But the rest of it is cast like the case of a splitter. I spread a little epoxy around the rear cover to make sure it's sealed.

MCM doesn't sell them any more, but I bought a bunch of them when they were closing out. @chinadog , If you want a couple of them, let me know and I will bring a couple over for you.

In the process of pulling things apart to swap filters, I found a bad connector in the VHF path. Hoping that
when I fixed that it will help CFTO over the long haul. We'll see.

post #208 of 208 (permalink) Old 2018-03-13, 03:05 PM

looks like channel 67 is going to add anougher sub channel because there testing 67.5 right now with anougher feed of h&i but the station at the top says metest.i hope its the movie channel that Detroit gets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.