QC - West Island, Southwest QC, Cornwall and Eastern ON - OTA - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-03-09, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb QC - West Island, Southwest QC, Cornwall and Eastern ON - OTA

Hi there: I'm located in West Island (Montreal) and am getting my HD channels from ExpressVu (6100). Are there any more HD channels available to me OTA, and if so do I have to mount an external antenna ? I'm new to the "OTA world" and would appreciate any help. Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-11-05, 06:36 PM

Cannot get WFFF in Pointe-Claire

I am in Pointe-Claire, and I cannot get WFFF at all.
I get WCAX(53) at 77% and WETK(32) at 77% also.
I can receive WCFE(38) at 69% if I turn my antenna.

Is WFFF broadcasting that low? It seems that everyone that receives WCAX receives WFFF.

I do not have a pre-amp but have a 20db distribution amp before my tuner which increasing the percentage a little but I do not receive WFFF.

Any ideas?

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-07-31 at 01:26 PM. Reason: location added to title
post #3 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 09:11 AM
gmd

Reception in Eastern Ontario

How far West are people successful in getting the Vermont stations? Please post results!

-gmd

post #4 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-12-04, 04:53 PM

wcax,wptz from near Cornwall, ON

Hi everyone.Im located near Cornwall Ont.Ive tried scanning for wcax and wptz and fox.But the signal I get here is very erratic.Most times it's up to 70% the right back down to 0% . It won't hold steady,just won't lock.Is there anyone else in my area experiencing the same thing?I can receive ch 57 hd,57 dig,ch18 dig ,ch4 ottawa cbc hd and cbc french hd .Could I try another amp configuration in addition to what I alredy have ? would this help...thanks
post #5 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 08:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobor26 View Post
Hi everyone.Im located near Cornwall Ont....
...Could I try another amp configuration in addition to what I alredy have ? would this help...thanks
What configuration do you currently have? With your current configuration, can you receive 3, 22 or 33 from Mount Mansfield in analog?
Also, how is 22 analog reception affected by CBOFT-DT (SRC) 9.1 from Ottawa, which broadcasts on channel 22?

Does CJMT-TV-2 ch 14 analog come in from Herbert's Corners? It may also interfere with your reception of WPTZ-DT.

TVl
post #6 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-12-09, 03:44 PM

Installed new antenna; getting all burlington channels

I purchased a CM4221 from sensuz.com out of Toronto and installed it this morning. I ordered it on a Friday and received it on the Monday. All of a sudden I am receiving all burlington stations including wvny. I am not using a vhf antenna. Just the CM4221. So far wvny is stable but it could be weather related. It is overcast today. With my old antenna, I could only receive wcax, wptz and wetk. I do also have a RadioShack pre-amp.

Ettisl in Pointe-Claire, QC
post #7 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-12-10, 01:40 PM

Burlington VT stations in Pointe-Claire with New CM4221

wvny - 20-30%
wcax - 100%
wptz - 93%
wetk - 93%
wfff - 77%

These are meter readings on my Samsung TS-160. My antenna is about 15 feet off the ground tilted skyward slightly.
post #8 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-12-10, 09:57 PM

I do not understand how my tuner is able to read the signal at 20% without dropouts but it is. Is it because it is vhf? On the uhf channels if the signal drops below 36%, I lose the signal. On vhf 13 at 20%, the signal is steady.
Yesterday my signal was 30% but today it is 20% but steady.
post #9 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-12-12, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettisl View Post
I do not understand how my tuner is able to read the signal at 20% without dropouts but it is. Is it because it is vhf? On the uhf channels if the signal drops below 36%, I lose the signal. On vhf 13 at 20%, the signal is steady.
Yesterday my signal was 30% but today it is 20% but steady.

Actually, it's quite simple. It's called SNR or signal to noise ratio. Signal strength is a poor indicator of how well your receiver can demodulate the signal. If noise is excessive, your receiver can have a hard time processing a strong signal. This is why a preamp can make your reception worse sometimes. Some receivers have more noise in the UHF range, compounding the problem.
post #10 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-12-12, 05:17 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

ATSC doesn't use "signal-to-noise" but rather "ratio of clean packets to unresolvable ones" to display signal. This is an important difference because some tuners can lock on with a lower ratio than others can, and a preamp can improve that ratio greatly unless the antenna is already suffering from powerful multipath interference.

Some ATSC tuners display only bars with no numbers, others display very specific percentages or numbers. They are all displaying the same ratio, but unfortunately there is no industry standard regarding how to display that information to the consumer.
post #11 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-12-13, 10:22 PM

Sorry, but signal to noise ratio (SNR) is a key parameter for any communications link, whether it is analog or digital (such as ATSC). For analog reception, poor SNR leads to a snowy picture. For digital reception, SNR greatly determines whether the transmitted packet is in fact a "clean" one or an "unresolvable" one.

Taken by itself, the clean/unclean packet ratio's effect on reception is only a function of the receiver's error correction loop. This is typically similar receiver to receiver since the error correction is part of the communcations protocol. Actual receiver performance is keyed to symbol recovery, which is influenced by SNR and multipath.

A preamp is useful for low level signals provided it has a low noise figure, so not just any amp will do. In the worst case, a poorly chosen amp will degrade the SNR, and give poorer reception no matter how much gain it has.

So long story short, you can get good reception results with relatively low signal strength, as long as your SNR remains decent.
post #12 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2006-12-14, 11:47 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

No need to be sorry - that's correct reception info and theory, and I've been saying the same thing here for a couple of years, but what Ettisl is seeing from his ATSC receiver is the ratio I mentioned in my reply. Please re-read my reply knowing that I agree with you.
post #13 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2007-01-01, 07:37 PM

Cornwall

I dont't know about anyone else living in Cornwall area.But I can't get a lockable signal from 13 wvny,14 wptz,32 wetk,and 43 wfff.The only one I can get is wcax 53,and it's weather station.Both of theese are subjected to pixaling,signal drop.The 2 stations are 95% veiwable.Does anyone know if I add a higher power amp,would it help? I couldn't get wcax at all before ,but I added another amp and now I at least get something...
post #14 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2007-01-03, 11:21 PM

OTA reception in West Island

Can anyone tell me what channels can I expect to receive in the Montreal west island area? About a year ago, I tried a TV with an ATSC tuner & all I could get was the 2 PBS stations from Plattsburg. I was told that CBC was broadcasting in HD, but I saw no sign of them even by rotating the antenna on a 40 foot tower.
post #15 of 1103 (permalink) Old 2007-01-06, 11:51 PM

I am in Pointe-Claire and can receive WCAX(53), WPTZ(14), WFFF(43), WVNY(13) and WETK(32). I cannot receive CBC/SRC because Mount-Royal is blocking the signal. CBC told me that they will work on transmitting from Mount-Royal this summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.